B12 Unbalanced Schedules (from the Williams & Blum conversation)

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I thought one interesting way to see which teams in the conference got the hardest / easiest conference schedules (based on the Williams & Blum conversation today) would be to look at the ESPN BPI rankings.

JP must have done something to piss off Brett Yormark... the remaining B12 schedules are only the 18 conference games for each team except Oklahoma State who plays Chicago St tonight. After tonight's game, these to go strength of schedule rankings will be based only on the 18 game B12 conference schedules for each team (I will update tomorrow).

ISU got one of (if not the hardest) football schedules and, based on BPI at least, the hardest basketball schedule in the conference.

One other interesting note... BYU has the 14th hardest remaining schedule in the B12.... According to BPI at least, they also have the 14th hardest remaining schedule nationally! The B12 has the 14 hardest remaining schedules in the country based on this metric.

1704317885574.png

I also sorted the teams based on their chance to win the conference (again, based on BPI).. BPI loves Houston, hates Kansas. They have ISU as the 2nd highest ranked team in the league (#4 in the country). But BYU with the easiest B12 schedule and ranked 3rd in the conference (#10 in the country) has a slightly better chance to win the conference based on BPI. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

1704318581069.png

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I thought one interesting way to see which teams in the conference got the hardest / easiest conference schedules (based on the Williams & Blum conversation today) would be to look at the ESPN BPI rankings.

JP must have done something to piss off Brett Yormark... the remaining B12 schedules are only the 18 conference games for each team except Oklahoma State who plays Chicago St tonight. After tonight's game, these to go strength of schedule rankings will be based only on the 18 game B12 conference schedules for each team (I will update tomorrow).

ISU got one of (if not the hardest) football schedules and, based on BPI at least, the hardest basketball schedule in the conference.

One other interesting note... BYU has the 14th hardest remaining schedule in the B12.... According to BPI at least, they also have the 14th hardest remaining schedule nationally! The B12 has the 14 hardest remaining schedules in the country based on this metric.

View attachment 121606

I also sorted the teams based on their chance to win the conference (again, based on BPI).. BPI loves Houston, hates Kansas. They have ISU as the 2nd highest ranked team in the league (#4 in the country). But BYU with the easiest B12 schedule and ranked 3rd in the conference (#10 in the country) has a slightly better chance to win the conference based on BPI. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

View attachment 121609

At the time of schedule release, we had one of the easiest projected schedules. Oklahoma and BYU being way better than expected really flipped that. And we only get the 3 worst teams once - West Virginia, UCF, Oklahoma St.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just in case anyone missed this tidbit, it bears repeating.

Best league in the country and saying it ain't even close doesn't give it justice.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
According to BPI at least, they also have the 14th hardest remaining schedule nationally! The B12 has the 14 hardest remaining schedules in the country based on this metric.
I hope somebody is getting this fact out nationally so it's universally known!

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Toughest remaining schedule in the toughest league. I don't think Pollard or TJ have to apologize for the Charmin soft non-con at all.
This was by design, last couple years, our guys were worn out trying to scratch out a .500 conference season. Then you get to the B12 and NCAA tournaments with no gas left. The body (even the young studs in Ames) can only handle so much!!

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I believe Iowa States is considered the hardest in the Nation from now on, not just the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I believe Iowa States is considered the hardest in the Nation from now on, not just the Big 12.
That is correct… again.. based on bpi.

I don’t think this is a perfect. But it’s one measure.

Right now it shows the 14 B12 schedules as being the 14 most difficult to go schedules in the country.

Reactions: 2speedy1

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The schedule from here on out is absolutely crazy.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
TEAMHOME ONLYAWAY ONLY
BaylorCIN, HOU, ISU, OKLKSU, OSU, UCF, WVU
BYUCIN, HOU, TCU, TEXKAN, OKL, TTU, WVU
CincinnatiISU, KSU, OSU, TEXBAY, BYU, KAN, TTU
HoustonKSU, OSU, TTU, WVUBAY, BYU, OKL, TCU
Iowa StateKAN, OSU, TTU, WVUBAY, CIN, TEX, UCF
KansasBYU, CIN, TCU, TEXISU, TTU, UCF, WVU
Kansas StateBAY, OKL, TCU, UCFCIN, HOU, TEX, TTU
OklahomaBYU, HOU, TTU, WVUBAY, KSU, TCU, UCF
Oklahoma StateBAY, TCU, UCF, WVUCIN, HOU, ISU, TEX
TCUHOU, OKL, TEX, UCFBYU, KAN, KSU, OSU
TexasISU, KSU, OSU, UCFBYU, CIN, KAN, TCU
Texas TechBYU, CIN, KAN, KSUHOU, ISU, OKL, WVU
UCFBAY, ISU, KAN, OKLKSU, OSU, TCU, TEX
West VirginiaBAY, BYU, KAN, TTUHOU, ISU, OKL, OSU

Reactions: CyPunch

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

View attachment 121606

View attachment 121609

Screw it you can only play the games you've got. Let's go boys!! Play hard and let the chips fall where they may.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Play the games and we'll find out... who knows. Prohm lost to a lot of ****** teams. Other coaches do too.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
At the time of schedule release, we had one of the easiest projected schedules. Oklahoma and BYU being way better than expected really flipped that. And we only get the 3 worst teams once - West Virginia, UCF, Oklahoma St.
i think KSU will continue to struggle and we do get them twice

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

View attachment 121606

View attachment 121609

I'd wager my life savings if I got KU to win conference at 2.6% odds.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I’ll be ecstatic if we win ~11 Big 12 games.

Will also be shocked if KU wins ~10.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Big 12 Regular Season Champion Odds per Draft Kings

Houston +190
Kansas +290
BYU +600
Baylor +700
Iowa State +1300
Oklahoma +1400
Texas +1500
TCU +1600
Texas Tech +3000
KState +4000
Cincy +5000
Ok State +10000
WVU +15000
UCF +20000

My takeaway there is Vegas is buying BYU's strong start and not so much buying Oklahoma's. They also view KState and Cincy as teams with nice records at the moment who are about to be in for a rough ride.

Like Blum and CW said, sign me up for 5th right now. I'll set the O/U at 8 Big 12 teams making the tourney.