Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Someone gave me a "creative" but I'm telling you Arizona was looking at B12 before USC/UCLA even left. These #s don't lie to a school who cares about hoops.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hopefully we see some movement after the meeting. Seems like official #s from the PAC was the formality AZ needed before making the switch

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
He has a point. Again…the Buffs, by themselves, mean close to nothing.
If so, then why does Colorado leaving mean so much?

I'm not disagreeing with you that Colorado wasn't successful in football over the last decade, but if they really were bottom of the barrel, no one cared, then them leaving should, at worst, do nothing, and at best strengthen the Pac9 position going forward.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Just trying to understand this, but how would a conference affiliation help with enrollment?
It’s all about school exposure. I don’t remember exact numbers but about 15 years ago my brother was working at Fresno St when they made a miracle run in the College World Series. Their application rate skyrocketed that next year.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
ASU may end up taking their time to a Mountain West affiliation. Utah as well.

This reminds me of the Family Guy skit where Peter is offered a boat or a mystery box and he takes the mystery box. These schools just have to know what’s in GK’s Mystery box!

• Haha
Reactions: stuclone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Someone gave me a "creative" but I'm telling you Arizona was looking at B12 before USC/UCLA even left. These #s don't lie to a school who cares about hoops.

I mean, rumors of Arizona to the Big 12 have been a thing for close to a decade now. In part I always thought it was mostly our own wishful thinking, but perhaps not.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
He has a point. Again…the Buffs, by themselves, mean close to nothing.
The takeaway is the conference members are beginning to realize the fragile nature of the conference. If the conference had strong footing, they would have reached a media rights deal long ago. Colorado leaving the conference and rejoining a conference they left 12 or so years ago is a huge statement.

Reactions: aauummm

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
If so, then why does Colorado leaving mean so much?

I'm not disagreeing with you that Colorado wasn't successful in football over the last decade, but if they really were bottom of the barrel, no one cared, then them leaving should, at worst, do nothing, and at best strengthen the Pac9 position going forward.
It means something, in my mind, because it simply can’t be the end. It’s been covered a little bit already (@HoopsTournament covered it briefly). It is impossible to schedule with 13 teams. Not just “hard”, but mathematically impossible, so the Big12 has to add another institution.

The prevailing thought is that institution is Arizona, and Arizona leaving would cripple the PAC. If Arizona doesn’t leave, we’re staring directly at UCONN.

The cards are stacked against the PAC, for sure, but all things being equal, SDSU replacing CU isn’t as far fetched as people think. The problem for the PAC is how much it would cost SDSU to make such a move ($34M exit fee) plus the fact the PAC has, presumably at best, a ****** deal on the table that GK will present tomorrow.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Scheer also reporting that no one knows where linear will come from and that a very small portion of it is going to be linear anyway.

Potentially increases in $$ if ratings are hit. How are rating #s going to be when 85% is streaming and 15% linear.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I mean, rumors of Arizona to the Big 12 have been a thing for close to a decade now. In part I always thought it was mostly our own wishful thinking, but perhaps not.

IIRC, the Big 12 could’ve had the Arizona schools back in 2016 when that expansion palooza with all those G5 schools was going on. If OuT had been committed it could’ve been done so much sooner than now

Reactions: NWICY and Yaz