306,000 alumni could turn the tide

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
We have 306,000 alumni. If only half care about sports and those people gave $5 a week to We Will, that would be $40 million per year.
There is your gauntlet. If you can’t do $5 a week, try $2.50 a week. If you can do more, do it.
I personally live out of state so I’ve committed to a sum I think would be equal to what I’d spend going to FB and BB games for tickets, gas, food, drink. For those in a similar situation, you might consider giving more.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We have 306,000 alumni. If only half care about sports and those people gave $5 a week to We Will, that would be $40 million per year.
There is your gauntlet. If you can’t do $5 a week, try $2.50 a week. If you can do more, do it.
I personally live out of state so I’ve committed to a sum I think would be equal to what I’d spend going to FB and BB games for tickets, gas, food, drink. For those in a similar situation, you might consider giving more.
Heck, $5 a month would be $18,000,000 a year.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Heck, $5 a month would be $18,000,000 a year.
giphy.gif

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I was just at PetSmart. They have an option once you're ready to pay to round up your total to the nearest dollar for a donation to a non-profit. I was thinking ISU should do this for businesses in Iowa (specifically central Iowa obviously). It's all optional...no one has to donate. But I find I do either round up or add X amount to donate more often than not. Hy-Vee does the same thing up here.

Have all Ames restaurants add a separate line item under 'tip' to donate to the fund. At all ISU retail stores (i.e. ISU Bookstore, etc) have an option at checkout to add $1/$5/$10/$25/$50/$100 to their total with the donation going to the fund.

I am far more inclined to donate on a whim at a checkout than I am otherwise. Just me.

Just spitballing weird ideas.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was just at PetSmart. They have an option once you're ready to pay to round up your total to the nearest dollar for a donation to a non-profit. I was thinking ISU should do this for businesses in Iowa (specifically central Iowa obviously). It's all optional...no one has to donate. But I find I do either round up or add X amount to donate more often than not. Hy-Vee does the same thing up here.

Have all Ames restaurants add a separate line item under 'tip' to donate to the fund. At all ISU retail stores (i.e. ISU Bookstore, etc) have an option at checkout to add $1/$5/$10/$25/$50/$100 to their total with the donation going to the fund.

Just spitballing weird ideas.

The micro transaction/tips for just because it’s an option on a screen economy will end us all.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah I'm not paying 300 dollars a year so a college kid can get a g wagon

Last year I had 5 tickets, CC donation and 2 kids in college. That was a good 45K right there to ISU. That was a lot of beans and ramen noodles for me, the wife and the youngest still at home. I think I'm going to heal up from that for a bit.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I bought a program at the Ncaa tourney in Des Moines last week. They actually had the option to tip the teenage girl sitting there selling programs.

It's completely out of control.
I hate the portable payment things at restaurants now. I like to make tips so I have an even amount in the end. Servers usually end up with more, now I just hit a percentage and no receipt.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
NIL

I get it. I get why it's necessary to give in order to be competitive. Other teams do it and if we don't we'll fall behind.

But the ******* balls on the NIL cooperatives to actually ask for money. I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but still. This is a mega billion dollar industry with insane amounts of extra cash every year. And the point of NIL was to give the tiniest fraction back to the kids responsible for earning it in the first place.

Nope. They just want more. Imagine if a billion dollar company came knocking at your door for donations. Wild.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
NIL

I get it. I get why it's necessary to give in order to be competitive. Other teams do it and if we don't we'll fall behind.

But the ******* balls on the NIL cooperatives to actually ask for money. I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but still. This is a mega billion dollar industry with insane amounts of extra cash every year. And the point of NIL was to give the tiniest fraction back to the kids responsible for earning it in the first place.

Nope. They just want more. Imagine if a billion dollar company came knocking at your door for donations. Wild.
I'm fine with people not donating but you expect these NIL Collectives to not actively seek out donations? It's not like they're calling your personal phone are they?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Last year I had 5 tickets, CC donation and 2 kids in college. That was a good 45K right there to ISU. That was a lot of beans and ramen noodles for me, the wife and the youngest still at home. I think I'm going to heal up from that for a bit.
Man, I hope that you're financially secure for the foreseeable future. That's a bundle currently and you're not close to being done with one kid at home still! Yikes!

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Based on my time there a decade ago I think estimating half of the alumni care about ISU athletics in any capacity is an EXTREMELY optimistic guess. Even more so when you need them to care enough to donate something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron