Racist UofI Hawkkks - Settlement Paid By Tax Payers

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Barta should definitely be held responsible, but why aren't the coaches who he hired and caused these issues held responsible?

He didn't hire the coaches. They do work for him, on paper. KF runs Barta, KF never does anything wrong. Why should KF be held responsible for anything he does wrong?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So basically KF is the most powerful person in the state. He makes $4M+ a year, ***** things up and then the state pays for his mess. He comes out of every issue he has had with more power.
Uh, after the whole private road scandal it's pretty clear the Ferentz's aren't welcome at the annual Saddle Club Road summer block party, so...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I love ol' KF grandstanding now. He's like: "That 6'4 250lb guy is lucky the fight got broken up before any punches were thrown. I would have kicked his ass".

Reality is if that would have went to trial, whether the accusations were provable or not, it would have been a total circus. Hok fans can call Akrum Wadley a liar and crook, but if there's a video of him testifying, it would be in every AA recruit's DMs immediately. I mean, who is an AA recruit going to believe, a fellow AA and former player, or an old white football coach? Their recruiting would have gone down the toilet. It was well worth the money for them to make this whole thing go away.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I love ol' KF grandstanding now. He's like: "That 6'4 250lb guy is lucky the fight got broken up before any punches were thrown. I would have kicked his ass".

Reality is if that would have went to trial, whether the accusations were provable or not, it would have been a total circus. Hok fans can call Akrum Wadley a liar and crook, but if there's a video of him testifying, it would be in every AA recruit's DMs immediately. I mean, who is an AA recruit going to believe, a fellow AA and former player, or an old white football coach? Their recruiting would have gone down the toilet. It was well worth the money for them to make this whole thing go away.
But, but but KKKirk said to let the judge decide, and he.s in charge of recruiting!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Can’t they spend some of that TV money to pay off the lawsuit? That’s all you hear from the parakeet-shirt wearing dropouts. Just barrels of money to spend because they are in the BIG.

Reactions: VeloClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Basically every tax payer gives $5 for Iowa fb racism?

ISU grads are in control of state government and pretend to be fiscal conservatives. Pass a supplemental Iowa football racism tax to pay for it.
Maybe it's just me, but it's $5 well spent on the negative PR this has generated. I hope nothing changes over there ever.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He earned some respect from me on his stance on this.
I thought same initially. But thinking more, all he really did was grandstand.

He didnt win the argument, or really fight it in any meaningful way. He could have got out ahead of this and put pressure on the other 2 folks. Instead he let it happen and acted morally offended once it was a fair accompli.
Second, he not once breathed Kirks name as the real owner of this problem. He didnt go after the source. He just went after the easy and unloved target, ie Barta. He was afraid to grab that 3rd rail and go after Kirk, who as someone mentioned is clearly the most powerful person in the state.

So idk how brave or principled this really is. That said, no one else even pretended to care, so i will give him credit for pretending at least.

In the end, SOMEONE, probably in the media, but maybe in government, is going to have to go Don Quixote after Kirk. Otherwise, he is going to coach his way out the door til he doesnt feel like it anymore and be thought a hero. Which probably 99% chance thats how it turns out. No justice.

• Winner
Reactions: Frak and Die4Cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So basically KF is the most powerful person in the state. He makes $4M+ a year, ***** things up and then the state pays for his mess. He comes out of every issue he has had with more power.
And our dumb media in this state not only looks the other way, they buy the Kirk is a good man, he deserves the benefit of the doubt nonsense.

When the only real journalism on the sexual assault case was a Hawkeye fan site, that’s pathetic. Especially when after going through the court docs and testimony that fansite drew the conclusion that Kirk and Barta need to be fired because they took exactly the steps someone would take if they were trying to cover up sexual assault while maintaining a bit of ignorance. Why oh why would Kirk order another player to move back in a 12x12 crime scene?

Kirk’s a piece of **** and the sports media in this state just has no balls or brains.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And our dumb media in this state not only looks the other way, they buy the Kirk is a good man, he deserves the benefit of the doubt nonsense.

When the only real journalism on the sexual assault case was a Hawkeye fan site, that’s pathetic. Especially when after going through the court docs and testimony that fansite drew the conclusion that Kirk and Barta need to be fired because they took exactly the steps someone would take if they were trying to cover up sexual assault while maintaining a bit of ignorance. Why oh why would Kirk order another player to move back in a 12x12 crime scene?

Kirk’s a piece of **** and the sports media in this state just has no balls or brains.
I’m pretty sure Kirk and Barta met with the victim too..

Reactions: erinmd32

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I’m pretty sure Kirk and Barta met with the victim too..
They did and offered to handle it internally.

My favorite was Kirk channeled his inner Rafael Palmeiro wagging his finger at the media saying he draws the line at people questioning his character.

People in this state love to talk about how they aren’t actual rubes and see through BS. Biggest rubes ever.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I thought same initially. But thinking more, all he really did was grandstand.

He didnt win the argument, or really fight it in any meaningful way. He could have got out ahead of this and put pressure on the other 2 folks. Instead he let it happen and acted morally offended once it was a fair accompli.
Second, he not once breathed Kirks name as the real owner of this problem. He didnt go after the source. He just went after the easy and unloved target, ie Barta. He was afraid to grab that 3rd rail and go after Kirk, who as someone mentioned is clearly the most powerful person in the state.

So idk how brave or principled this really is. That said, no one else even pretended to care, so i will give him credit for pretending at least.

In the end, SOMEONE, probably in the media, but maybe in government, is going to have to go Don Quixote after Kirk. Otherwise, he is going to coach his way out the door til he doesnt feel like it anymore and be thought a hero. Which probably 99% chance thats how it turns out. No justice.
Disagree somewhat. I think he accomplished something and that was bringing to light a settlement had been reached and was being voted on. I don't think anything news was released about a potential settlement or that it was being voted on until Sand went public and said the only way the state should pay is if Barta is out.

Without Sand doing that, my guess is Iowa was planning on releasing a barebones statement saying a settlement has been reached for $4mil and trying to let it blow on bye without any questioning, unless someone FOIA 'd it in which case they could stall it out until it was too late to make an issue of it.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Disagree somewhat. I think he accomplished something and that was bringing to light a settlement had been reached and was being voted on. I don't think anything news was released about a potential settlement or that it was being voted on until Sand went public and said the only way the state should pay is if Barta is out.

Without Sand doing that, my guess is Iowa was planning on releasing a barebones statement saying a settlement has been reached for $4mil and trying to let it blow on bye without any questioning, unless someone FOIA 'd it in which case they could stall it out until it was too late to make an issue of it.
I agree mostly, and unless some media would have caught the payout or brought up the case, would they have even released a statement? Could have been buried forever.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
To try to calm the anger of Iowa tax payers, my inside source is telling me Iowa's athletic department is planning to mail each tax payer a free commemorative KKK lapel pin. Those who wear the pin to the Iowa spring football game will receive free pizza.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They did and offered to handle it internally.

My favorite was Kirk channeled his inner Rafael Palmeiro wagging his finger at the media saying he draws the line at people questioning his character.

People in this state love to talk about how they aren’t actual rubes and see through BS. Biggest rubes ever.
How in the world do people actually believe Kirk Ferentz is a good person with that being known?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
This is all going to hurt recruiting
On the open market yes it would and it should.

Problem is iowa often recruits against itself anyways, more than most comparable P5 programs. They prefer to bring in developmental guys with a thin offer list and/or kids that have some meaningful tie to the program... or at least grew up with an affinity for the iowa brand.

This is one of the underlying reasons they struggle to sign and retain playmakers at the skill position. Obviously BF and play style is an obvious impediment. But there just aren't that many highly-touted skill guys that grow up dreaming of wearing the steeler rip-offs and the Flintstone chicken.

I don't think this will have as much impact on iowa's recruiting compared to other schools, but I hope I'm wrong. Obviously teams will use this, I'm just not convinced it will make a huge difference for a highly touted lineman from the Quad Cities or Illinois.