NFL: ***2023 NFL offseason***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I just heard a pretty good take on this.

"Brady ruined his marriage for 1 year of 9-8 football?"
8-9 football. 8-10 if you count the playoffs. First time a Tom Brady led team has finished below .500 on the season. And I think football was his distraction from all the personal stuff, especially if he knew about FTX stuff, too. Probably just wanted to have something to focus on even if it didn't end the way he wanted.

Reactions: somecyguy

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
8-9 football. 8-10 if you count the playoffs. First time a Tom Brady led team has finished below .500 on the season. And I think football was his distraction from all the personal stuff, especially if he knew about FTX stuff, too. Probably just wanted to have something to focus on even if it didn't end the way he wanted.
good point about the distraction. I didn't think about that.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Whoops, I inverted the record. Good catch

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
One other downstream impact of Brady hanging it up is that I think it almost certainly eliminates the possibility that Aaron Rodgers will retire this year. I don't think that was a high likelihood, anyway, but Rodgers retiring would put him in the same HOF class as Brady. I don't think Rodgers ego could take getting overshadowed like that.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
One other downstream impact of Brady hanging it up is that I think it almost certainly eliminates the possibility that Aaron Rodgers will retire this year. I don't think that was a high likelihood, anyway, but Rodgers retiring would put him in the same HOF class as Brady. I don't think Rodgers ego could take getting overshadowed like that.

Rogers to Bucs confirmed

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah, I don't know that I like giving up significant draft capital for a coach. Payton is fine, but is he a first and a second round pick better than other prospects? If Denver doesn't win immediately, this is going to look really bad. They need 10-11 wins next year, or a deep playoff run. If not, they're going to get trashed by the media and their own fans.
The Broncos have their future tied to Russell Wilson, so bringing in Payton to get the Broncos offense back on track probably makes sense.

IMO the Payton/Wilson duo are going to thrive or sink into retirement as a team.

Reactions: Mr Janny

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I just heard a pretty good take on this.

"Brady ruined his marriage for 1 year of 9-8 football?"
I have a feeling that marriage was having issues long before he decided to un-retire last Spring.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The Broncos have their future tied to Russell Wilson, so bringing in Payton to get the Broncos offense back on track probably makes sense.

IMO the Payton/Wilson duo are going to thrive or sink into retirement as a team.
I put my money on sink. I don't think Wilson can handle a structured offense.

Reactions: somecyguy

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I put my money on sink. I don't think Wilson can handle a structured offense.
Very true. But I will concede that if any coach can improve him, it's the guy who coached a similar unconventional QB, Drew Brees.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I think the Broncos could be decent next year. Huge upgrade at coach, last place schedule, Russ can’t be as bad. Probably 6/7 seed at best.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think the Broncos could be decent next year. Huge upgrade at coach, last place schedule, Russ can’t be as bad. Probably 6/7 seed at best.
Still some tough sledding. Last place schedule only accounts for 3 teams next year. They get the Browns, Texans, and Commanders based on that. One of those was an almost playoff team, one has Deshaun Watson that won't have a offseason of distraction (presumably), and the Texans have a new coach, a decent defensive when not playing Travis Henry and the #2 overall pick. They still have to play the entire AFC East, NFC North and their own division twice. The worst team on their schedule is the Bears, but the rest of the AFC West gets them too.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If I’m the Bucs, I trade away every good asset immediately and begin the rebuild.
Would love to see Kansas City trade for Tristan Wirfs to play RT. But Wirfs is about to get PAID and I'm the TB asking price is a first round pick minimum.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Would love to see Kansas City trade for Tristan Wirfs to play RT. But Wirfs is about to get PAID and I'm the TB asking price is a first round pick minimum.

Send them this years first. Better than what you would get at that pick.