Former Texas HC, now assaulter, fired

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Your example is two different crimes, they are treated differently. Why would it be better to you if he beat, choked, and bit a guy he lived with?
For the same reason there are enhanced penalties for elderly, handicapped, and child abuse. I’m not limiting this to strictly domestic violence.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The "why is hitting a woman any worse than hitting a man" crowd has always enamored me. What a weird soapbox to want to jump up on.
Not really. I think it’s weird that people think it’s more ok to hit a man than a women. It shouldn't matter the gender. That isn’t excusing hitting a woman it is holding people equally responsible for their actions. The mentality that hitting a woman is worse is what leads to abuse of a man being even less reported than regular domestic abuse.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Not really. I think it’s weird that people think it’s more ok to hit a man than a women. It shouldn't matter the gender. That isn’t excusing hitting a woman it is holding people equally responsible for their actions. The mentality that hitting a woman is worse is what leads to abuse of a man being even less reported than regular domestic abuse.
Is it possible that someone saying x is worse than y, but both are wrong, actually believes that one is not 'more ok', but that both are actually wrong?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I always shake my head when a young athlete screws up and does something stupid to blow their scholarship, but when a coach does something stupid to immediately lose their multimillion dollar job and blow their entire career, that's a whole new level of stupid.

There was a time when a successful college coach in this situation could hide out as an assistant on an NBA bench for a few years before resurrecting their college coaching career, but I think those days are over.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
People that want to have a discussion about these opinions should do it in the cave which is why the cave exists so these threads don't get locked.
It's not just opinion. It's Texas law as well.

Beard was arrested on a charge of assault on a family or household member in which their breath was impeded. The charge is a third-degree felony in Texas, with a possible punishment of two to 10 years in prison.

This is a distinct class of assault with added protections that inform non-familial assault:
Simple Assault
Assault Causing Bodily Harm
Assault With a Weapon
Aggravated Assault

The family or household member classification recognizes the added severity of an assault against a family member or romantic relationship, and the legal ramifications associated with that charge appear to increase if found guilty.

So, if he had choked the boyfriend of his daughter (as some UT had been reported to believe) it would not be merely an opinion stating that assault is not as severe, but Texas law as well.

This does not mean that anyone thinks that choking the boyfriend is a good thing, makes Beard a hero, or smears a hypothetical victim.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's not just opinion. It's Texas law as well.

Beard was arrested on a charge of assault on a family or household member in which their breath was impeded. The charge is a third-degree felony in Texas, with a possible punishment of two to 10 years in prison.

This is a distinct class of assault with added protections that inform non-familial assault:
Simple Assault
Assault Causing Bodily Harm
Assault With a Weapon
Aggravated Assault

The family or household member classification recognizes the added severity of an assault against a family member or romantic relationship, and the legal ramifications associated with that charge appear to increase if found guilty.

So, if he had choked the boyfriend of his daughter (as some UT had been reported to believe) it would not be merely an opinion stating that assault is not as severe, but Texas law as well.

This does not mean that anyone thinks that choking the boyfriend is a good thing, makes Beard a hero, or smears a hypothetical victim.

I don't see anything about the sex of the victim just the relationship.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I don't see anything about the sex of the victim just the relationship.
Chris-Beard-children.jpg

Beard has a female ex, a female fiance, and three female daughters.