Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Anyone blaming the kicker on this loss has no idea how football works.

As Gary mentions above, all these other KU opponents this year are putting up 35 pts a game on this KU defense.... they are terrible. The fact we have to settle for 4 FG attempts against this defense is a LOT more of the issue. That's pathetic.

Do we need a better kicker.... yes it appears so..... but that falls on CMC too. It's not his fault that he's the best option we have to put out there. But as I said.... he's not the reason we lost.... we have a LOT more pressing issues than that on this team right now that are costing us games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's what happens when your offense is reduced down to being one-dimensional. That dimension was short forward and horizontal passing.
The other thing I noticed is that the KU front did a ton of stunting, and our OL didn’t handle it well. That’s been a problem going back to the WVU game last year, when it looked like they had never seen a stunt before. Surprisingly, the OL got much better and handled Clemson’s stunts really well.

KU seemed to be playing the odds with the front that ISU was going to be pass heavy, and if they ran a stunt on a run play gamble that they could disrupt and not give up too many big runs.

ISU needed to pop a few big runs, which they didnt, and needed to be better in completing the short passes and getting more YAC.

Obviously special teams lost a game, but putting up 4.0 YPP and 11 points against a D that has been lit up by everybody except Tenn Tech is a failure. The offense only did enough to win because they defense held KU to 213 yards, which is completely insane.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The other thing I noticed is that the KU front did a ton of stunting, and our OL didn’t handle it well. That’s been a problem going back to the WVU game last year, when it looked like they had never seen a stunt before. Surprisingly, the OL got much better and handled Clemson’s stunts really well.

KU seemed to be playing the odds with the front that ISU was going to be pass heavy, and if they ran a stunt on a run play gamble that they could disrupt and not give up too many big runs.

ISU needed to pop a few big runs, which they didnt, and needed to be better in completing the short passes and getting more YAC.

Obviously special teams lost a game, but putting up 4.0 YPP and 11 points against a D that has been lit up by everybody except Tenn Tech is a failure. The offense only did enough to win because they defense held KU to 213 yards, which is completely insane.

2005 season vibes although I'd take that many wins with this group.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
You’re pissed? Shocking. When someone with more knowledge than you has an explanation to what happens beyond a laundry list of complaints that you don’t understand? Real shocking.
JSB blindly defending the coaching staff and having no ideas or arguments of her own? Even more shocking! You said all the same ******** with Steve Prohm when I called his ass out way ahead of time. Guess who was right the whole time. Learn what you're watching

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Anyone blaming the kicker on this loss has no idea how football works.

As Gary mentions above, all these other KU opponents this year are putting up 35 pts a game on this KU defense.... they are terrible. The fact we have to settle for 4 FG attempts against this defense is a LOT more of the issue. That's pathetic.

Do we need a better kicker.... yes it appears so..... but that falls on CMC too. It's not his fault that he's the best option we have to put out there. But as I said.... he's not the reason we lost.... we have a LOT more pressing issues than that on this team right now that are costing us games.
You shouldn't be putting up only 11 points against 1) Kansas and 2) A defense like that.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
Hopefully Cartevious Norton can get healthy and bring some physicality to our run game. Man we are really struggling to run the ball. I shake my head every series we get into the red zone or short yardage situation and it's almost entirely passing. Sure it helps having a dynamic QB, but he needs some help in a big way.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JSB blindly defending the coaching staff and having no ideas or arguments of her own? Even more shocking! You said all the same ******** with Steve Prohm when I called his ass out way ahead of time. Guess who was right the whole time. Learn what you're watching

I shouldn’t have ideas. I’m not a coach.

If you are honestly comparing prohm and Campbell, then you are even more delusional than I thought. Look—-I’ll defend our guys well past the appropriate time. It’s a fault of mine (although I like to think of it as being overly kind and realizing that I don’t know anything). So when Campbell has two straight bad seasons with no sign of improvement or hope, you can accuse me of that. But now? I’m simply hoping idiots like you don’t help to run off the best football coach we’ve ever had.

Also I’m not sure why you don’t think losing our RB during the game isn’t a big deal.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Williams and Blum actually do a good job talking about the game, for those who are interested. Instead of throwing up their hands and saying "Kickers, what can you do?" They go a bit into the offense struggles in the first half of the podcast

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I like BB. And he has a nice soothing voice. He was being a homer, which is fine, somebody has to do it. And he was trying to be very diplomatic.

Somehow I don't feel soothed about the team though, its performance and its ability, or lack of ability to adjust, from an offensive and ST's point of view.

I will still support the team of course. And hopefully we will have some highs yet this season. But I think it might be a tough year. Maybe this will be some kind of wake up call.

We've all been here before. I hope the team can bounce back.

Yeah I agree. When we have a good game plan that works Manning's offenses do just fine but when they need to make significant adjustments it doesn't seem like he can figure it out.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You’re pissed? Shocking. When someone with more knowledge than you has an explanation to what happens beyond a laundry list of complaints that you don’t understand? Real shocking.
Nothing he said was wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hopefully Cartevious Norton can get healthy and bring some physicality to our run game. Man we are really struggling to run the ball. I shake my head every series we get into the red zone or short yardage situation and it's almost entirely passing. Sure it helps having a dynamic QB, but he needs some help in a big way.

I hope we get Norton back too, but as fans I wouldn't count on it. More than likely Norton and Remsburg look like they will be the infamous CMC's "day to day" for the rest of the year.

I hope Brock isn't also in that category. Anyone have any idea what happened to him? He had the one run, but got up from that fine and was walking back to the huddle just fine. And then he was out there I believe for one more play, which was a pass play and it looked like he didn't even come in contact with anyone on that play.... and then he was never seen again and Silas was in.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Games like this can sometimes be a positive. Feel like this game painted in big block letters everything the program has fallen short on the last few years. There's a temptation to leave things be when things are going your way, if they had won this game people would have been talking about the elite defense and offense doing 'just enough'. Maybe losing is the kick in the bum the program needs. Idk, just looking for positives. They can play better than that, hopefully going forward they will.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Kansas defense is terrible. ISU offense couldn't do anything against it. All you need to know.
Bingo. This is where I disagreed with BB's opinion. ISU should score at least 4 touchdowns on that dog meat program. It should not have been decided by the foot of a kicker.
Even if improved, Kansas is still Kansas. We should NEVER lose to them.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I suppose that makes sense in the passing game. My complaint is just the utter lack of creativeness in adjusting in-game. We can't pass deep, and without Brock we can't run our traditional run plays. So why not adjust? Dekkers is a big body who can run. I remember Campbell's last year at Toledo (when they beat us) he basically ran a spread-power run-offense with plenty of built in QB runs and read options. With Purdy and now Dekkers that is non-existent. Cant throw deep and cant run up the middle? Take a page from KU's own playbook. Put Silas and Sanders both in the backfield, Rus at the H, and run a pistol triple option, run play action off of that. I mean just try *something*.

Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
We need one of Brock or Norton to be healthy to run the ball. Sanders isn't there yet, and Silas is just a different style runner so the blocking doesn't match up like it should.

I also don't blame the kicker too much. Two off the uprights is just bad luck (even though the last was a shank), and to Bruns point, we shouldn't have gone for a field goal to force OT where we would need to rely on him again.