Friday OT #1 - Dumb Da Dumb Dumb Dumb

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
what is "I'm a dumb ass tax" money you've had to spend that just enrages you?

I'm assuming this isn't intended to encompass a divorce...
because that was not a cheap mistake on my part.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Years ago when my wife and I were still relatively young, we had the usual financial strains that comes with being first time home owners. I had recently changed jobs, so that put an additional strain on things. Home and auto insurance bill was coming up due, but given I was another week or so from getting paid, I needed to stretch things out by paying it late. What could happen without coverage in a week?

My wife rear ends another car is what happened. A fire truck was coming up behind her and rather than pay attention to the traffic in front of her, she was watching her mirror and rolled into the car in front.

That required a phone call to my insurance company pleading for understanding and that I would pay the amount due immediately. Thankfully, I had been with them for close to 10 years at that point, they covered the claim but instead of a $500 deductible, we had to pay $1000.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@ScottyP just reminded me of this one. Our first kid kept having ear infections and we eventually get referred to an ENT or whatever for tubes. While waiting for that appt we tried a chiropractor on a friends suggestion. It worked really well and the kid enjoyed the exercise things to do at home. In hindsight we stupidly kept the ENT appt, get in there and they pretty much say "If that is working just do that, have a good day." Under 5 minutes and a little more than $500 to the ENT for that.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
A real pick-me-up start to the day. Sorry man!
It actually ended up not being as bad as it could have been.

I did get a spare key from the dealer and my plan was to find the car and take it right back to them. But I never found where it was parked :(. I had this dream I would find the car, then 'steal' it from her, and give her the double birds as I'm driving down the road. But...alas...

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This was an expensive week for us, thanks to @Mr Janny . He made a chicken-and-rice dish last Sunday - I don't cook, so I didn't ask a lot of questions, but none of us enjoyed it. Much at all. I think I told him, "I appreciate you cooking so much, but I actively hate this." Needless to say, we had many, many leftovers - so he gave them to our two dogs.

These aren't your "eat a tin can barnyard dog" variety dogs. These are "hypoallergenic prissy dogs to accommodate Angie's allergy" dogs who puke if food is too hot, too cold, too bacon-y. He gave them a TON of the food, and both proceeded to vomit that afternoon. Our dog who is typically more of a puker, Hazel, was one-and-done, she got it out of her system. Stuart barfed a few more times - so Janny, for I DON'T KNOW WHAT REASON, gave them both more on Monday. Stuart couldn't hold anything down that night, I called the vet and we did a fast-and-white-rice diet, got him probiotics from the vet, etc. Nothing was helping.

I took him in finally after chatting with our vet. While I was waiting for the exam with Stuart, I texted Janny to find out all of the ingredients. "Chicken, rice, chicken stock, a packet of onion soup..." Both the vet and her tech stopped short when I mentioned the onion soup, what with it BEING TOXIC TO DOGS and all. They had to do X-rays to check for obstructions, blood work to make sure it hadn't given him pancreatitis, an anti-emetic injection, some more anti-emetic pills to take home, special food that they informed me "you should give him the next few days instead of table scraps" (thx), etc.

Total bill? $721. So that Janny didn't have to throw away some chicken and rice. We got home and he said, "Wow. Well, I am glad they found out what it was so I didn't have to also tell them there was half a can of beer in there."

ANYWAY. That was a whole backstory to ask - what is "I'm a dumb ass tax" money you've had to spend that just enrages you? Money that you were like "I seriously can't believe I caused that/didn't know that?" Because I'm not letting Janny live this down anytime soon, maybe help me put this into perspective.
That casserole actually sounds pretty good.

• Haha
Reactions: Angie

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I managed to back into two cars in the span of a month in the same exact spot.

The first one I have no one to blame but myself and barely left any damage on either car. Knew the guy well and he asked for $50 to get someone to clean it off for him. Gave him the money before he finished his sentence.

The second one a dumbass truck driver got himself stuck in this area where he clearly shouldn’t have even tried getting in. I had to back up a ways to give him room to back out and of course ended up backing into a vehicle in a blind spot and for some reason my sensors didn’t pick it up. Still my fault but I was so pissed at the truck driver. Insurance covered it but my rate went up to the point where it hurt a little bit

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
One morning, my wife was backing the car out of the garage. I naively thought it would be nice if I went out on the garage steps and waived goodbye to her for the day. She proceeded to roll down her window and give me a few more instructions for the day. While doing this, she proceeded to not pay attention to how she was backing out and the passenger side mirror hit the garage door track. I've learned that this was totally my fault for coming out and waiving goodbye to her. She, of course, was correct.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm fairly handy now, but it was not that way when we bought our first house. We had no hot water one morning. I saw that the pilot was out on the water heater, but couldn't get it to re-light. The water heater was right next to our washer/dryer.

Called the plumber. He came in and said "some of the lint from your dryer is blocking airflow to the pilot light and its causing it to burn out." He vacuumed out the lint and went on his way. 15 minutes; $175. Yay.
Mine is also plumber related. Husband’s brother is Mr. Know it All, only unlike Jon Snow, he really knows nothing.

Water pressure was low in shower in master bathroom. Told husband was going to call plumber. Unemployed brother in law living with us says it’s an easy fix, ten minutes tops. Four hours into it, he and the husband have messed up bad enough they need to turn off water to that bathroom. Not a super big deal unless you are 10 days away from giving birth to a nine and a half pound baby. So a real plumber can’t come for three days and I am waddling across the house every 15 minutes to pee at night. Spent the last night on a toddler trundle bed in kid’s room close to a bathroom.

Plumber estimate: $100 if they called before messing stuff up. Bill over $1100.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It actually ended up not being as bad as it could have been.

I did get a spare key from the dealer and my plan was to find the car and take it right back to them. But I never found where it was parked :(. I had this dream I would find the car, then 'steal' it from her, and give her the double birds as I'm driving down the road. But...alas...
<mapnerd so intent on flipping off ex as he drives away that The West Maple "Rocko" gets him...>

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Most of the really stupid stuff I do, doesn’t cost a lot of money, it just embarrasses my wife and kids (I’m not easily embarrassed since I screw up a lot).
I take a lot of pride in how embarrassing I am to my wife and kids.

The looks you get from your 14-year-old daughters when you and a friend spend 30 minutes talking like pirates while waiting for food at a restaurant are absolutely priceless.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This spring, I went to DC with the youngest and the wife had to go to PHX with our daughter since the wife’s niece decided to do her full ceremony on her one year anniversary. We all had to stand in the desert for her wedding so she was basically making everyone show up twice.

We left a couple days before the wife. I get a phone call that the garage door isn’t working. I don’t park in the garage the wife’s vehicles are there. I ask why the walk in door is locked, she was scared since she was home alone (in a town of 2000 that she had lived her whole life). Asked why she didnt just lock the one going into the house. Apparently she did. Well, I couldn’t explain where the key was hidden so she had to have the police break into our garage. Nice.

A day later I get a call that she dropped the dog off at the kennel and forgot to put her car in park and it ran into a statue of theirs and destroyed it so I would need to pay for that when I pick it up.

I forget what else I got called for that she managed to break while I was gone for those 2-3 days. I got off the phone the last time and told the people I was around, this is why I can never go anywhere, it’s chaos when I do.

I should have known this because: two months before our wedding she sold her house and was moving in with me. I get a hysterical phone call from her. She was doing a last cleaning and had ran her engagement ring into the vacuum. I had to dig through the dirty bag and find most of it. Then weeks before the wedding, the car we had just bought together (dumb I know) she manages to hit one of those county transit buses in town. This is a streak she had kept in tact, within a month of any vehicle she gets, she hits something with it, many times it’s either the garage or another one of our vehicles.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and NWICY