Votes: 86 27.2%
  • Within the month

Votes: 57 18.0%
  • Never

Votes: 58 18.4%

• Total voters

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
It'd be somewhat amusing for the Buffs to get left out.

Why are Stanford and Cal so low on lists? Pretty prestigious schools, not counting football. Not a great cultural fit I suppose. Or a worse fit than the other odd fits!

Silly question. Would Big XII schools have the power or desire to say to WV gtfo? Geographically they are a major outlier (and that is the only reason why I am thinking that). I would rather the Big XII tell Baylor to scram but if that hasn't happened already it won't now.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Silly question. Would Big XII schools have the power or desire to say to WV gtfo? Geographically they are a major outlier (and that is the only reason why I am thinking that). I would rather the Big XII tell Baylor to scram but if that hasn't happened already it won't now.
Why would we boot them and then possibly take Washington even without Oregon. WV fits us more than either of those two.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019

It is good to keep WVU , especially with adding Cincy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It'd be somewhat amusing for the Buffs to get left out.

Why are Stanford and Cal so low on lists? Pretty prestigious schools, not counting football. Not a great cultural fit I suppose. Or a worse fit than the other odd fits!

I think Stanford is and should be high on lists. Honestly, the B1G probably has it ordered as ND, Stanford, UW, and then Oregon. Hell, they might have Cal higher than Oregon too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think Stanford is and should be high on lists. Honestly, the B1G probably has it ordered as ND, Stanford, UW, and then Oregon. Hell, they might have Cal higher than Oregon too.

It seems to me that when Big Ten adds a school like Cal or Rutgers it's...Big Ten now has SF Bay and NYC market! (even though nobody watches college sports in those markets, and if they do it is not Rutgers)

But when Big 12 adds UCF...they get nothing even though UCF has an objectively larger actual fan following, alumni base and attendance than those programs.

Are we in a world where Cal or Stanford "bring" northern california even though nobody watches them? If we're in that world, the Big 12 has Florida and Ohio to an equal or greater degree.

I see Cal, UCLA and Stanford as very low value schools if actual eyeballs and actual streaming users matter. I think the mountain schools are all at least as valuable for that if not more, BYU definitely more.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is good to keep WVU , especially with adding Cincy

Pitt, UVA, Louisville, VaTech...these are high quality programs that might be the ACC leftovers in a few years.

If the Big 12 was falling apart WVU/Cincy would want to bounce to ACC leftovers. If we're thriving we add those teams eventually to go with Cincy/WVU.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Pitt, UVA, Louisville, VaTech...these are high quality programs that might be the ACC leftovers in a few years.

If the Big 12 was falling apart WVU/Cincy would want to bounce to ACC leftovers. If we're thriving we add those teams eventually to go with Cincy/WVU.
It would be *chef’s kiss* for the Big XII to end up down the line with a 24-team conference including Oregon, Washington, Utah, Pitt, Va Tech …

If it happens, quite a turnaround from being left for dead with ESPN parceling out the survivors to the AAC.

Reactions: CascadeClone

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
It would be *chef’s kiss* for the Big XII to end up down the line with a 24-team conference including Oregon, Washington, Utah, Pitt, Va Tech …

If it happens, quite a turnaround from being left for dead with ESPN parceling out the survivors to the AAC.
I hate this. Its not your fault, it just needs to go away.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It seems to me that when Big Ten adds a school like Cal or Rutgers it's...Big Ten now has SF Bay and NYC market! (even though nobody watches college sports in those markets, and if they do it is not Rutgers)

But when Big 12 adds UCF...they get nothing even though UCF has an objectively larger actual fan following, alumni base and attendance than those programs.

Are we in a world where Cal or Stanford "bring" northern california even though nobody watches them? If we're in that world, the Big 12 has Florida and Ohio to an equal or greater degree.

I see Cal, UCLA and Stanford as very low value schools if actual eyeballs and actual streaming users matter. I think the mountain schools are all at least as valuable for that if not more, BYU definitely more.
I think that's the benefit they get from the B1G network. Even though cable is declining and tv market size is less important... it still brings in some subscription cash. Even 5% of a 10M person market, at $5 per month is still $30M per year -- with essentially zero incremental cost.

Whereas the Big12 doesn't have that at all. Just a share of the ad revenue as part of the media rights fees, and B1G gets increased ad revenue by having more viewers too. That part is mox nix. So those "meh" markets are worth more to the B1G than to the Big12.

Makes you wonder if the Longhorn network could have been made a Big12 network all those years ago, what the world would be like now. What if they had stood up to UT then rather than bending over?

Reactions: HFCS

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not really expecting quick decisions on this one. WA, OR and Stanford likely want to try to wait for an offer from the Big 10, but I'd be surprised if they made another round of offers this year. The Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame, who's waiting on NBC and the ACC.

I'm not surprised we're hearing that the remaining PAC teams are all trying to sticking together. They'll want to get some numbers from the media people to use as a basis to evaluate other options.

Once they have a good idea of where they'll be without UCLA and USC, I'd wager some of the mid-tier schools could be the weak point. I don't see any way they're suddenly making significantly more, and there's nobody out there to add that would change it. Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado should be the targets. If the Big XII can poach 2+ of them, the Big XII can take their pick of the PAC.

Oregon, Washington and Stanford would be coups for the Big XII. I doubt Stanford comes, though. I see them going Independent before the Big XII. I'd be wary of OR and WA agreeing to join so long as Washington St and Oregon St get to come along too. Not saying that would be a deal breaker, but we'd need some long-term assurances built in to keep Washington and Oregon in the fold.

Reactions: TXHawk

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not really expecting quick decisions on this one. WA, OR and Stanford likely want to try to wait for an offer from the Big 10, but I'd be surprised if they made another round of offers this year. The Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame, who's waiting on NBC and the ACC.

I'm not surprised we're hearing that the remaining PAC teams are all trying to sticking together. They'll want to get some numbers from the media people to use as a basis to evaluate other options.

Once they have a good idea of where they'll be without UCLA and USC, I'd wager some of the mid-tier schools could be the weak point. I don't see any way they're suddenly making significantly more, and there's nobody out there to add that would change it. Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado should be the targets. If the Big XII can poach 2+ of them, the Big XII can take their pick of the PAC.

Oregon, Washington and Stanford would be coups for the Big XII. I doubt Stanford comes, though. I see them going Independent before the Big XII. I'd be wary of OR and WA agreeing to join so long as Washington St and Oregon St get to come along too. Not saying that would be a deal breaker, but we'd need some long-term assurances built in to keep Washington and Oregon in the fold.

I think a potential scenario that's likely is that Oregon and Washington (and possibly Stanford) join the Big 12 since they don't have a lot of other options if the PAC blows up.

But then I wouldn't really trust them to be long-term members unless Notre Dame holds out on the B1G forever and expansion gets put on pause for another 20 years.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
This morning, ESPN+,....

"The Big 12 is the most stable of the three remaining leagues. That would have been considered a punchline for much of the past two decades, when the league endured so much infighting that it became the archetype of instability.

But here's the reality for the Big 12: The league is the most stable among the "Next Three" because there are no programs that are clearly coveted by the Big Ten or SEC.

When Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving last year, the remaining eight Big 12 members essentially put themselves on the open market. No one stopped to pick them up. That gave them solidarity by reality, which has birthed a stable union that blossomed by adding UCF, BYU, Cincinnati and Houston.

"We're more galvanized than we've ever been," a league source said. "There's no interest by Big 12 members going to the Pac-12 or ACC."

It's been quite a first week for new commissioner Brett Yormark, who has impressed the league's athletic directors and leaders with his humility and willingness to admit he knows what he doesn't know.

Yormark has been aggressive, per sources. The most logical play for the Big 12 remains going after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. In a realignment landscape that often doesn't make sense, those four schools would fit both competitively and geographically. All four would have realistic ambition to win the Big 12 while putting rivals Utah and BYU in the same league.

For those four schools, hitching their futures to Oregon and Washington in some sort of rearranged Pac-12 would likely be a short-term relationship, as it's probable the Ducks and Huskies will be looking across the financial moat over to the Big Ten. Even, perhaps, at a discounted rate.

If Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah go to the Big 12, it would essentially kill the Pac-12. Would Washington and Oregon end up following? The Pac-12 would be largely vacant, and they'd need a home better than a juiced-up Mountain West.

The Big 12's advantage over the ACC in potentially poaching schools is that they are headed to open market after the 2024 football season.

The ACC can reopen its TV deal if schools are added, but there's unlikely to be an eye-popping increase in the value of that ACC contract.

The Big 12 can pitch potential schools on the allure of a lucrative deal that could potentially involve streamers, networks and perhaps new linear partners.

A full-on merger/alliance-type move with the Pac-12 would be complicated for many reasons, including existing television deals. There's also too many mouths to feed to get a blockbuster deal. The Pac-12 TV deal expiring in 2023 makes the league an easy target."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I picked 'never' just because it seems the B12 waffles on these sorts of things.

Help Support Us

Become a patron