KXNO Sports Fanatics

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I like Ross a lot, but what they're doing in the interim, just bringing a local guy to chat for a few hours cannot last. Its bad. They need to pick new person and start talking sports, granted there are no sports happening right now, but still. Talk toilet humor, not NPR.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Yeesh. I was cringing at the possibility of it being Sean Roberts (sounds like he thinks he's still in the running, at least hearing him talk about it on the Morning Trash), but John Lamb might be even worse.

Yeah, Sean is making it sound like he's holding off on big life decisions to see if he gets this. I'm not super excited about that possibility, not that I have some major dislike for Sean. Just think it'll end up being like another poster mentioned with their producer, Uncle Ross imparting his wisdom on the youngster.

And I don't necessarily dislike Ross, either, but he can come off like he knows more than anyone else on some topics. The NIL/Pay for Play is the last big one that he's just been insufferable on - it's like you can't be concerned about any part of it cause everything is gonna end up fine. It might, but that doesn't mean there won't be some growing pains in the meantime.

I'm hoping for a cyclone fan, but not sure there are many great local options.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I was a loyal listener and did enjoy having Chris on there. Now I find he was the only reason I listened. I'm very lukewarm on Emery or Sean in that role. Two out of the box candidates are Alyssa Hertel from the Register and Steph Copley. They've both been great when I've heard them. Alyssa isn't a Cyclone per se but she really knows the local sports scene. Steph of course is Cyclone through & through. I doubt she would have time for the gig though, with job & family, similar to Chris.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I haven't listened for months (no sports and not a huge fan anyway) but I may listen today just to see how bad it is. I was not a fan of Chris, on the radio, but still understand the challenge of replacing him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I kind of hope they go outside of the box and bring in someone not already doing a show on KXNO or is already one of their regular fill ins. Just a new voice and outside perspective would be refreshing and not just recycling the same personalities we've already heard plenty of. Nothing again Sean but we've already heard him and Ross together when he hosted with Travis on the morning rush and I would prefer to see them go with someone that would add a new angle to the shows they already have. Doesn't necessarily need to be someone with a Cyclone lean to them but would be nice if they did since it played so well with Chris and Ross doing a good job giving fairly equal time to both fan bases. The last thing they need is someone who leans heavy Hawkeye to pair with Ross. Would be tough to listen to if that were to happen.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I like Ross a lot, but what they're doing in the interim, just bringing a local guy to chat for a few hours cannot last. Its bad. They need to pick new person and start talking sports, granted there are no sports happening right now, but still. Talk toilet humor, not NPR.

It doesn't help that this is the slow season either. Late June to mid Aug is always really tough for these shows.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It doesn't help that this is the slow season either. Late June to mid Aug is always really tough for these shows.
Well that’s when these guys really need to show their worth. The problem with Ross is, like most hawk fans, hawk sports is his whole universe. He doesn’t care about anything else. I understand this is the slowest part of the college sports year, but it’s also when Chris could really show his worth, with his connections to the other B12 programs he could get guys on from each team to talk about the upcoming season. Also, the shows when CW was by himself were some of the best.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Well that’s when these guys really need to show their worth. The problem with Ross is, like most hawk fans, hawk sports is his whole universe. He doesn’t care about anything else. I understand this is the slowest part of the college sports year, but it’s also when Chris could really show his worth, with his connections to the other B12 programs he could get guys on from each team to talk about the upcoming season. Also, the shows when CW was by himself were some of the best.

The new producer, Caleb, seems to know a lot about the NBA, which has been good recently. He got them to talk more about the playoffs, the draft, and the trades happening.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
As I continue to log the show from time to time, Condon just called Gartner ‘a great baseball man.’ I disagree.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020

It is… But it’s also a great time to start to build the chemistry with a new permanent host… I still don’t understand why they haven’t named one… Can you imagine throwing some rando in there full-time in the thick of football. It’d be brutal.

I just hope it’s not Travis.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
It is… But it’s also a great time to start to build the chemistry with a new permanent host… I still don’t understand why they haven’t named one… Can you imagine throwing some rando in there full-time in the thick of football. It’d be brutal.

I just hope it’s not Travis.
Probably won't do it justice....

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
I would have to think Mother iheart gets to weigh in and approve any hire. Not as easy to just pick someone in major corporate America.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
It's kind of a tough timeslot. 3-6 p.m. Any co-host will need to be self-employed or have some kind of job with flexibility of hours. And, of course, those are only the studio hours -- they'll also need to have time to prep. It's a larger time commitment than most people think.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: DSMCy and Acylum

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I had it on the other day when Ross and Randy P. on and I felt bad for Ross. He was having to drive the conversation and wasn't getting much help from Randy. It was a pretty rough listen.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I had it on the other day when Ross and Randy P. on and I felt bad for Ross. He was having to drive the conversation and wasn't getting much help from Randy. It was a pretty rough listen.
Randy P is absolutely atrocious on the radio. I can't believe they allow him on as much as they do.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Anything with Randy is a tough listen. But all Ross wanted to talk about was DM East. Shocking, I know. With all the hok homers who have filled in, they finally have a person who at least covers ISU, and he’s never asked about the amazing MBB turnaround or where CMC has the program now compared to all the lean years Randy had to cover.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I haven't listened for months (no sports and not a huge fan anyway) but I may listen today just to see how bad it is.
Don’t bother. Some guy (Bill Blank?) who apparently we’re supposed to know so well that Ross only introduced him as “my buddy”. Absolutely no idea who he is. To be followed by another appearance by Travis Justis for the remainder of the show. This is excruciatingly bad.