AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Does Europe ball pay a $200,000/yr? If so that's good money for doing something you enjoy.
Absolutely they do. Maybe some less but more probably.
There may be tax incentives to be in Europe too.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Does Europe ball pay a $200,000/yr? If so that's good money for doing something you enjoy.
Absolutely. Much more than that for many.
Top player currently gets $4M/ yr. The 10th highest gets $1.8M. Not sure about minimums, varies by country, as I understand it. I think the average is closer to $400K.
In 2015 Melvin Ejim made $525K.
Plus if you are into history (like Melvin) or enjoy travel it’s a fantastic experience.

Edit - those number are euros. Almost the same in dollars.

Last edited:

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
The change in the European leagues, the globalization of the game, and the ability to stay connected to the states (family and NBA teams) through technology and social media, it's a whole different landscape than it was 15-20+ years ago.

Used to feel like an embarrassing death sentence. Now that only happens if you're an L sent to Russia.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Absolutely. Much more than that for many.
Top player currently gets $4M/ yr. The 10th highest gets $1.8M. Not sure about minimums, varies by country, as I understand it. I think the average is closer to $400K.
In 2015 Melvin Ejim made $525K.
Plus if you are into history (like Melvin) or enjoy travel it’s a fantastic experience.

Edit - those number are euros. Almost the same in dollars.
That’s a lot better than I would’ve guessed

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
i started thinking about this situation. my assumption is he made the best decision for himself. i then started thinking about NIL and the direction things appear to be heading.

It seems to me that they should remove the restriction preventing players who remain in the draft from returning to college. Players should be able to make themselves eligible and if they don't like the results they should be able to return to college. One step further, I would allow players who have played professionally to return to college if desired. I would probably keep the rule in place that their eligibility ends after X years of starting their college career.

I don't see much difference between a player getting NIL money and a player who tried to go pro and for whatever reason decided returning to school was the best option for them.

the biggest potential problem i would see if a pro team sent players needing further development to one school for a year. unless it was the timberwolves sending players to iowa state.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
i started thinking about this situation. my assumption is he made the best decision for himself. i then started thinking about NIL and the direction things appear to be heading.

It seems to me that they should remove the restriction preventing players who remain in the draft from returning to college. Players should be able to make themselves eligible and if they don't like the results they should be able to return to college. One step further, I would allow players who have played professionally to return to college if desired. I would probably keep the rule in place that their eligibility ends after X years of starting their college career.

I don't see much difference between a player getting NIL money and a player who tried to go pro and for whatever reason decided returning to school was the best option for them.

All for this. Say LeBron wants to play with Bronny, always thought he would have to jump teams to find one that will draft his son. What if he can instead play with him...in college. Package deal, LeBron and Bronny, could pull in some serious NIL money together. What if they want to go to Akron? Can a 40 year old LeBron lead them to an NCAA title?

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
All for this. Say LeBron wants to play with Bronny, always thought he would have to jump teams to find one that will draft his son. What if he can instead play with him...in college. Package deal, LeBron and Bronny, could pull in some serious NIL money together. What if they want to go to Akron? Can a 40 year old LeBron lead them to an NCAA title?
i guess i have no problem with this. took me a minute to rember lebron never used his college eligibility. if lebron is taking classes, it should be allowed.

current and former pros are able to compete in olympics games. i see no reason to not allow them to play for a college if they have eligibility.

would create some interesting dynamics for sure, if a player like lebron was choosing between playing for the lakers or a college team with NIL money.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
i guess i have no problem with this. took me a minute to rember lebron never used his college eligibility. if lebron is taking classes, it should be allowed.

current and former pros are able to compete in olympics games. i see no reason to not allow them to play for a college if they have eligibility.
JR Smith transfers from NC AT&T to join up with them at Akron. A chance for him to redeem himself with LeBron against a bunch of teenagers.

• Funny
Reactions: NENick

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Absolutely they do. Maybe some less but more probably.
There may be tax incentives to be in Europe too.

Last I knew not many jobs start that high out of college, so yeah don't blame him for taking a chance.

Reactions: JP4CY

Cjreimer

Apr 25, 2022

the biggest potential problem i would see if a pro team sent players needing further development to one school for a year. unless it was the timberwolves sending players to iowa state.