Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I am guessing the alumi association has nothing to do with athletics, correct? When I lived in Denver, game watches were an absolute blast and really the only reason I would get together with other cyclone fans (besides the people I knew from school). There has to be a way to incentivize donations through those clubs.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Here's a bit of a thought exercise...what's the point of having donations at all anymore, when there is no tax benefit for donating? Why not just increase ticket prices to cover the value of the "donation," charge one price and be done with it?

I can think of a few reasons why, but I'm curious what others think.

People that do donate and don't get priority for seating or parking can still tax deduct I believe, but I'm not an accountant so don't know for sure.

Also, I was still hopeful the tax increase I was given will go back but not so sure anymore, If it was to change back I would want the deduction.

Donation applies to all sports for giving level. Not sure how that would be done if was put into the ticket prices.

A few years ago, I suggested the parking be increased on cyclonefanatic, but got a lot of negative feedback since the parking wasn't tax deductible. Maybe that doesn't matter now and parking needs to go up to at least market value.

I really wish we would go to the Iowa method of donations and do a per seat minimum donation. Why should we limit the donor to 4 seats if they want to buy 6. And why should we punish the person that buys 2 tickets.

I know a person that has Iowa season tickets and moved to a higher donation level to get better seats as he only needs 2 tickets now vs. 4. He basically gave the university the same amount for 2 tickets as he paid for 4 the year before.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Here's a bit of a thought exercise...what's the point of having donations at all anymore, when there is no tax benefit for donating? Why not just increase ticket prices to cover the value of the "donation," charge one price and be done with it?

I can think of a few reasons why, but I'm curious what others think.

I’d like that idea.

I don’t care where I sit for football but do for MBB and willing to pay an increased tickets only price ($1500-$2000). They are really squeezing the Victory Club.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
People that do donate and don't get priority for seating or parking can still tax deduct I believe, but I'm not an accountant so don't know for sure.

A few years ago, I suggested the parking be increased on cyclonefanatic, but got a lot of negative feedback since the parking wasn't tax deductible. Maybe that doesn't matter now and parking needs to go up to at least market value.

I really wish we would go to the Iowa method of donations and do a per seat minimum donation. Why should we limit the donor to 4 seats if they want to buy 6. And why should we punish the person that buys 2 tickets.
First point above is true. We gave our regular donation last year and purchased no tickets so we got full deduction

Second point above is a good, untapped revenue builder. Just doubling from $50 to $100 on 6000 donors will raise $300k which is half the projected amount of profits that alcohol sales would bring in. Parking could easily go to $200 for the season.

Third point above, Donors already can buy more seats by making an additional 25% donation at the seating level. We have personally done this for five seats in men's basketball for several years

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm donating while being out of state and not purchasing any tickets. If I bought a ticket second hand, would that affect the tax write-off?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Athletic department and University in general has done a poor job of attracting members/donors immediately after college and/or people with more modest incomes. Better strategy would be to attract members early with comparatively smaller annual giving, get them active, and encourage them to donate more as their income will presumably grow over time.

I know hundreds of alumni around my age (mid-40s) making 5-10x more money than we did coming out of college and have plenty of disposable income and none of them give. Largely in part to the fact that ISU was generally alienating anyone that couldn’t affford to donate thousands a year (which is a big ask for many immediately post college).

There is a large portion of our alumni base that was turned off and never came back.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Athletic department and University in general has done a poor job of attracting members/donors immediately after college and/or people with more modest incomes. Better strategy would be to attract members early with comparatively smaller annual giving, get them active, and encourage them to donate more as their income will presumably grow over time.

I know hundreds of alumni around my age (mid-40s) making 5-10x more money than we did coming out of college and have plenty of disposable income and none of them give. Largely in part to the fact that ISU was generally alienating anyone that couldn’t affford to donate thousands a year (which is a big ask for many immediately post college).

There is a large portion of our alumni base that was turned off and never came back.
Please give more details on how you were requested to give thousands of dollars. You can give $10 to the National Cyclone Club if you want to. You can get $10 to the cyclone gridiron club if you want to .

I would rather people just say they don't want to give then blame the other side that they didn't ask me in the right way.

I give to many organizations that have never even asked me. I give because I want to.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Something to keep in mind here is - nobody is actually incorrect. This is a sticky subject where everyone wants the common goal, but how to achieve it can be a difficult road.

More donors in number would help. Giving back to an institution that shaped you as a human (for non-donors) is a start.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Please give more details on how you were requested to give thousands of dollars. You can give $10 to the National Cyclone Club if you want to. You can get $10 to the cyclone gridiron club if you want to .

I would rather people just say they don't want to give then blame the other side that they didn't ask me in the right way.

I give to many organizations that have never even asked me. I give because I want to.
I recall very clearly that shortly after I graduated having someone call asking for donations and literally say “no thank you” when I told them what I was able to give. I also know people with the university that work in fundraising capacity and this is not unusual.

I agree with your point that people will give if they want to. I’m considering this myself now that I’m financially in a position to do so, living back in theMidwest, snd renewing internet in the athletic programs.

May point is simply about strategy from the athletic department and university as a whole. A lot of alumni have just never been active and there is a generation of them probably now at point in their lives/careers where they can give substantial amounts. Need to find a way to get them re-engaged.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

They are probably exaggerating but their point is a serious issue. The AD does a really bad job of engaging small donors. They make it seem like if you can’t give $250 or now $300 they don’t even want your money. Engaging people who can give $25 a year adds up.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They are probably exaggerating but their point is a serious issue. The AD does a really bad job of engaging small donors. They make it seem like if you can’t give $250 or now $300 they don’t even want your money. Engaging people who can give $25 a year adds up.
We are in agreement except for the AD comment.

I am sure that's not there intent. There's no minimum to make a donation to the NCC. If you have an affiliation or an affinity for a non-profit or charity then please search them out and write a check. It can be a one-way street if u want to make a difference.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I recall very clearly that shortly after I graduated having someone call asking for donations and literally say “no thank you” when I told them what I was able to give. I also know people with the university that work in fundraising capacity and this is not unusual.

I agree with your point that people will give if they want to. I’m considering this myself now that I’m financially in a position to do so, living back in theMidwest, snd renewing internet in the athletic programs.

May point is simply about strategy from the athletic department and university as a whole. A lot of alumni have just never been active and there is a generation of them probably now at point in their lives/careers where they can give substantial amounts. Need to find a way to get them re-engaged.

They didn't have internet in the athletic programs?!? No wonder it's taken so long to build them up to a respectable level.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I am jumping way ahead in this thread from page 2, but I just wanted to comment that I bet MANY donors do this the same way I do with the group I am attached to. We all give our $$ to one person who donates for us as a group. In my case (4) of us donate to one individual who collects all the credit for it, but in reality there are 4 donors. Then, within that same group, there is another group of wives/friends who donate together at a lower level. So, there are like 12 individual donors all going together, but to the university it looks like there are only 2 donors. I write all that to say that the 6,000 donor number doesn't mean much to me.
Good insight. There certainly are other groups like yours too. However, I think the same can be said at other schools too; so the 6000 compared to our peers is still relevant.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
We are in agreement except for the AD comment.

I am sure that's not there intent. There's no minimum to make a donation to the NCC. If you have an affiliation or an affinity for a non-profit or charity then please search them out and write a check. It can be a one-way street if u want to make a difference.
It can be a one way street but we are talking about engaging donors. I doubt it is the intent of the AD to say anything below the $300 level they don’t want but that is the message that they broadcast.

I’ve been a Cardinal level donor basically since I graduated so I have done so even when the AD hasn’t been good about engaging me. None of my friends donate. They can’t afford to do what I do but if you were engaging them for $25 donations you would probably get some of them. Growing the donor base is drastically needed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah it is is a big jump, but it hasn't been raised in over 35 years. One dollar on average in 1986 bought an item that would cost $2.54 in 2021. So yeah, 50% all at once is tough, but inflation is 154% since it was last raised. Too bad ISU was so terrible for so long that they didn't think they could raise it regularly. Now they have to try to make up for lost time.
Care to share what you find so dumb about facts on inflation, @I@ST1?

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Care to share what you find so dumb about facts on inflation, @I@ST1?

Was’t about the inflation - I agree with that. It was about this comment.

“Too bad ISU was so terrible for so long that they didn't think they could raise it regularly.”

I don’t agree with being terrible vs winning season has anything to do with NCC Membership non increase vs increase. (In the past).

Like you said… It’s time to make up for lost time.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Was’t about the inflation - I agree with that. It was about this comment.

“Too bad ISU was so terrible for so long that they didn't think they could raise it regularly.”

I don’t agree with being terrible vs winning season has anything to do with NCC Membership non increase vs increase. (In the past).

Like you said… It’s time to make up for lost time.
Thanks for clarifying. I could see how that might be debatable.

Wasn't just saying what you meant easier and more effective than just a drive-by dumbing with no explanation?

Why do you think they didn't raise it for three and a half decades?