***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I've had two-stage snowblowers for maybe twelve or fourteen years. In all that time I think I've broken and changed one shear pin. And I get a ton of wet, heavy stuff and ice the end of the drive.

It would be nice not to have to deal with that, but at least for me it's been a virtual non-factor.

Now I know!

(and knowing's half the battle) ...

Found this very boring yet informative video on the topic:

Reactions: aauummm and wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Ok, sorry, thought you were joking so I was being dumb.

Hr meant no Shear pins. Shear pins are located on each side of the gearbox to run the beaters. You ABSOLUTELY WANT THESE. Otherwise if you catch an ice chunk, rock, frozen dirt into the beaters, you will probably shred the gearbox. If you have them, it break the bolt and you run to the hardware store and get another. (Best to spend the 2-3 bucks and have 1-2 on hand.

Was digging out my SIL with my FIL yesterday and he pulled in a rock big enough to kill his John Deere. Started it back up and I’m pretty sure it bent the shaft going to the gear box because the impeller was banging around pretty good. Would have broken a sheer pin and cost him a few cents but his older one doesn’t have any. Probably only a matter of time before the whole thing craps out because of it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've had two-stage snowblowers for maybe twelve or fourteen years. In all that time I think I've broken and changed one shear pin. And I get a ton of wet, heavy stuff and ice the end of the drive.

It would be nice not to have to deal with that, but at least for me it's been a virtual non-factor.

I always keep several on hand. I swear everytime I travel during the winter and my wife has to do the driveway I come home with both augers spinning freely. I don't know what she does, but I'm happy the shear pins are there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Was digging out my SIL with my FIL yesterday and he pulled in a rock big enough to kill his John Deere. Started it back up and I’m pretty sure it bent the shaft going to the gear box because the impeller was banging around pretty good. Would have broken a sheer pin and cost him a few cents but his older one doesn’t have any. Probably only a matter of time before the whole thing craps out because of it.
If it’s banging, he has probably one at best before it completely shells the gear box.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Now I know!

(and knowing's half the battle) ...

Found this very boring yet informative video on the topic:

i am sorry but if you need to watch a video to swap out a sheer pin that is comical. i am somewhat just busting your balls.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
my gears in the shaft got roached yesterday. easy fix as long as the gear isnt stuck on the rod.
If bent, I’m guessing it will grind away at the gears and spleens. That could be a few bucks, especially if it’s 10-20 years old, it may not have readily available parts.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If bent, I’m guessing it will grind away at the gears and spleens. That could be a few bucks, especially if it’s 10-20 years old, it may not have readily available parts.

i havent taken it apart yet, just had surgery on my right wrist. and its probably 10 pus years old. its a beast craftsman that i got for free from old man. if its too pricey to fix i will sell it and get a lightweght toro single stage. my driveway isnt big anyway.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I always keep several on hand. I swear everytime I travel during the winter and my wife has to do the driveway I come home with both augers spinning freely. I don't know what she does, but I'm happy the shear pins are there.

I definitely have a supply on hand. I've just almost never had to use them. Maybe I've just had better luck than most people.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Oh yay.

This warm weather is going to melt a lot of snow, and a lot of it on the road where the plows haven't touched.

Until it drops to below freezing quickly overnight, making my drive in to work no fun.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
After today the weather the next week or so temperature wise:

giphy.gif

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
I bought a 2 stage Snapper back in 1995 when we bought our 1st house. It has shear pins but I have never once had to replace one. I kind of want this thing to die so I can get one of the newer ones with heated grips. It has started every year on no more than the 3rd pull. I am pretty sure it will outlive me.

Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I bought a 2 stage Snapper back in 1995 when we bought our 1st house. It has shear pins but I have never once had to replace one. I kind of want this thing to die so I can get one of the newer ones with heated grips. It has started every year on no more than the 3rd pull. I am pretty sure it will outlive me.

Is this real?Awesome if so.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Those old Snapper products are bulletproof.

My neighbor still has one of those old Forrest Gump style riders and that damn thing fires off on the first pull and cuts great. Says the only thing he's done is change the oil and sharpen blades every 4 or 5 years and has had to replace blades once.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm