In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You just came STRONG with the info! I remember Mikado and Tequila firsthand from going in middle/high school, but never went to the others. I do remember driving by when it was Hombre's.

I remember actually liking the food at Tequila quite a bit, I think maybe better quality than La Fuente? But they didn't have a margarita challenge, so they were always going to lose that war.

The Amalgamated always sticks out to me because they had a full-page, full-color ad in the football game programs for awhile. I guess the picture of seafood appealed to some people (not me).

amalgamated.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: StClone and Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Could really use a Pazessco place again. Whatever happened to him after Oddfellows?

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Amalgamated always sticks out to me because they had a full-page, full-color ad in the football game programs for awhile. I guess the picture of seafood appealed to some people (not me).

View attachment 94067

Can you imagine stumbling across this photo of uncooked shrimp after a hard day tailgating until you puke?!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Macloney and JP4CY

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I know it's already been covered, but had a big discussion about Valentino's subs this past weekend. I'm craving one of those so badly. Anybody know a place that matches the taste of those bad boys?

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Lucky Bamboo in Ankeny has a pretty solid Mongolian Beef, I used to live behind CHC on Hyland towards the end it often tasted like the fryer grease needed to be changed, but would still go there out of convenience/when it was good it was really good. Coco's or something on Welch also used to have a really good MB.

Dublin Bay has one of if not the best tap lists in Ames.

Reactions: StClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lucky Bamboo in Ankeny has a pretty solid Mongolian Beef, I used to live behind CHC on Hyland towards the end it often tasted like the fryer grease needed to be changed, but would still go there out of convenience/when it was good it was really good. Coco's or something on Welch also used to have a really good MB.

Dublin Bay has one of if not the best tap lists in Ames.
Cocost. $5 meals. I usually got orange chicken. A lot of their food "sat on" cabbage.

Reactions: discydisc

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The other water-related too: Okoboji. I thought it closed!

That one did! I am not sure if any of the locations are still open - I know that the one in Johnston was a hanger-on for a while?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That one did! I am not sure if any of the locations are still open - I know that the one in Johnston was a hanger-on for a while?
Ankeny held on for a while. The OP eventually went in. (Another lost Ames business)

• Sad
Reactions: Angie

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
One place in Ames I hope never closes is Pizza Pit! I still have to make a trip before basketball games a few times a season to Welch Ave Station just so I can order some wings and pizza from there and the sandwiches are yummy as well. We used to get Pizza Pit probably once a week in the dorms, their $5 late night special for a large 1 topping was probably the best pizza in town IMO. That and Gumby's pokey stix, their pizza was blah and pricey but the 2 for 1 pokey stix nights were great.

My wife came with me on trips when she found Manitowoc, WI had a Pizza Pit! Pretty scenic location about there. We pretty much lived in the underground Campus Town Pit in the day. I think Pizza Pit is only in Iowa and WI?

Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I know it's already been covered, but had a big discussion about Valentino's subs this past weekend. I'm craving one of those so badly. Anybody know a place that matches the taste of those bad boys?

All of their locations they still have in Nebraska. Be careful though, sometimes your memories are better than reality.

I ordered a sub from Pizza Pit in Madison a fee weeks ago and it was garbage compared to the stuff I used to get in Ames.