Bowl Projection USA Today

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This is also the way I see it playing out for the good guys at least. I don't see any possible way for us to get into the Alamo but don't Cheez-it taking Tech or Purple Kansas over us.
Someone on here give me other reasons why we shouldn't be planning for Orlando.
I think you can plan. I don’t see any way we don’t get Orlando as long as OU and OSU both make a NY6 bowl.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
This is also the way I see it playing out for the good guys at least. I don't see any possible way for us to get into the Alamo but don't Cheez-it taking Tech or Purple Kansas over us.
Someone on here give me other reasons why we shouldn't be planning for Orlando.
maybe alamo possible if oklahoma state goes to playoff, baylor sugar bowl (big 12 runner up?), and ou to like an at-large like fiesta?

seems to me like the most likely scenario is cheez-it though

then a small chance at the texas bowl if somehow big 12 doesn't get any at-large bids and everyone gets bumped down (seems unlikely)

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
So who are the likely opponents assuming we’ll either be in the Cheez-It or Texas bowl?

ACC for Cheez-IT potential loser of ACC championship (Pitt/Wake) Clemson, NC State?

Texas bowl SEC: Kentucky? A&M? Maybe Arkansas?

I’d be alright with most of these matchups. NC State ISU gives me 2018 Alamo vibes. Could be fun.

Reactions: agentbear

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
maybe alamo possible if oklahoma state goes to playoff, baylor sugar bowl (big 12 runner up?), and ou to like an at-large like fiesta?

seems to me like the most likely scenario is cheez-it though

then a small chance at the texas bowl if somehow big 12 doesn't get any at-large bids and everyone gets bumped down (seems unlikely)
Here is the first place I’ve seen that scenario playing out. Okie State to CFP, Baylor to Sugar and OU to Fiesta. Would leave the Alamo to choose either K State or Iowa State and the consolation prize would be Orlando.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The big 12 has a solid shot at getting 3 teams selected to the NY6, largely because the 3rd choice-by rule- is Oklahoma and they are an attractive 10-2.
I see Iowa State heading back to San Antonio

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The big 12 has a solid shot at getting 3 teams selected to the NY6, largely because the 3rd choice-by rule- is Oklahoma and they are an attractive 10-2.
I see Iowa State heading back to San Antonio
Re-match with Oregon woud be fun!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Here is the first place I’ve seen that scenario playing out. Okie State to CFP, Baylor to Sugar and OU to Fiesta. Would leave the Alamo to choose either K State or Iowa State and the consolation prize would be Orlando.

That seems like insanity…. Bring it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That seems like insanity…. Bring it.

The Alamo Bowl is just by far the best bowl for us. Man I would love it. It's just so much easier to get a big group and go.

Reactions: isu1738

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Mandel updated his projections last night. He has OU in Alamo Bowl and us in Texas playing A&M. Pretty much a home game for Aggies.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
we'll see how rigged the cfb committee is if oklahoma state wins the conference championship and they still try to put notre dame in

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
btw notre dame has only beaten 1 ranked team and only played 2 games against ranked opponents

if oklahoma state wins the big 12 title, they will have beaten 5 ranked opponents and will have a "conference championship" which according to the ncaa website is supposed to give you props

if alabama loses to georgia and oklahoma state beats baylor, and if notre dame somehow magically gets picked above oklahoma state, the system is completely broken and the "criteria" is complete bs (which I already think it's broken after TCU moved from #3 to getting kicked out after a 50 point win in 2014 but this would solidify my opinion on this system even more)

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
So who are the likely opponents assuming we’ll either be in the Cheez-It or Texas bowl?

ACC for Cheez-IT potential loser of ACC championship (Pitt/Wake) Clemson, NC State?

Texas bowl SEC: Kentucky? A&M? Maybe Arkansas?

I’d be alright with most of these matchups. NC State ISU gives me 2018 Alamo vibes. Could be fun.
Revenge for the Peach Bowl loss.;) Someone in our group still has a picture of us with the trophy and the late NC State coach.