For Cowboy fans chirping about the spot on their final play

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Is that true? Wouldn't that be 12 men penalty?
No, because the official stands at the center and holds up the snap for an eternity at times, and for a split second other times. Needs to be a straight say 5 second pause no matter how long the defense takes. Happened twice to ISU yesterday and OSU delayed their sub, and then had them half jog very slowly on the field. Both times the 25 second clock would have run out before a snap was even allowed hence the time outs.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Moot point. Should have been a penalty on the OSU lineman for pulling the ballcarrier forward. Iowa State declines, game over. Very simple.

Suppose their lineman successfully pulled the ball carrier across the line to gain before he is tackled, and the ref throws a flag for the infraction. Would they spot the ball at the end of the run if we decline the penalty? I think the answer is yes. Consider a holding call on a long touch down run. TD stands if coach declines the penalty.

I think we would have to accept, setting up 4th and 7 for OSU.

H

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The official would not let us snap it until the Cowboys completed their half-hearted attempt at a substitution. Since the play clock was about to expire, that never happened. We were forced to call a timeout

I thought they had already run somebody off, but maybe my memory is wrong. Doesn't really matter, that bitg oaf never even made it to the defensive side of the ball.

H
A reciever came sprinting in with about 7 seconds left on the play clock. When that happens I assume the defense is given a certain amount of time to substitute, otherwise offenses would just substitute last second so the d can't react. So really it was our fault for not having the right personnel on the field earlier and smart football on their part.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No, because the official stands at the center and holds up the snap for an eternity at times, and for a split second other times. Needs to be a straight say 5 second pause no matter how long the defense takes. Happened twice to ISU yesterday and OSU delayed their sub, and then had them half jog very slowly on the field. Both times the 25 second clock would have run out before a snap was even allowed hence the time outs.

Both times happened on the same drive. ISU subbed and then made a second sub of one guy, which then allows OSU a chance to sub again. Kind of a stupid rule that OSU took full advantage of. In the end the lessen learned is if you are going to sub, get it right the first time.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
A reciever came sprinting in with about 7 seconds left on the play clock. When that happens I assume the defense is given a certain amount of time to substitute, otherwise offenses would just substitute last second so the d can't react. So really it was our fault for not having the right personnel on the field earlier and smart football on their part.
No time constraints. Late Cyclone substitutions allowed o$u to sub in a player at a very "deliberate" pace. The center judge(C on shirt back) holds the center until the substitution is completed.

A+ gamesmanship by the former Mullet.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
The official would not let us snap it until the Cowboys completed their half-hearted attempt at a substitution. Since the play clock was about to expire, that never happened. We were forced to call a timeout

I thought they had already run somebody off, but maybe my memory is wrong. Doesn't really matter, that bitg oaf never even made it to the defensive side of the ball.

H
I think we ran a receiver (Milton) off the field late in the play clock. Because of this, OSU is gets a chance to substitute. I think it was a good call by officials.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Watched it several times today, and what one announcer said you have to NOT look at the yellow line because it is not in the correct spot, you have to just look at the yard line. If you look at the yellow line it appears he may be close with the assisted pull, close, but can not see the ball, only area ball probably was in. But if you look at the actual yard line he was not past that line and that was the line to gain.

As the announcers have said many times the Yellow line is just a reference and not official and many times is not exact.... In this case it was about a half yard off, and even appears to not even be straight.

But even if they got the first there is no guarantee they would have gained any more or gotten a score. As we saw they were struggling with field goals. So those that are complaining need to realize it was not like having a score called back or even a goal line stand where they appeared to score. This was just the end of the game where they were behind not giving them more chances to possibly do something.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Both times happened on the same drive. ISU subbed and then made a second sub of one guy, which then allows OSU a chance to sub again. Kind of a stupid rule that OSU took full advantage of. In the end the lessen learned is if you are going to sub, get it right the first time.
It does seem like a rule that needs some tweaking. I understand giving the defense a reasonable amount of time to match player personnel. If the offense has their 11 on the field and is set with time on the play clock, why couldn't the delay be an official's time out similar to an injury stoppage?

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I think we ran a receiver (Milton) off the field late in the play clock. Because of this, OSU is gets a chance to substitute. I think it was a good call by officials.

I agree. It was the correct call by the refs, but I think it was clever ploy by Gundy. Most of the game, they didn't swap personnel when we changed our offensive lineup. On this play, they countered Milton leaving the field with an attempt to get their slowest defensive tackle into the game. Who coincidentally, was in no particular hurry to reach his destination.

It seemed like they knew we made our change too late in the play clock, and took advantage of it. Smart play by them.

H

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I brought this up in the game day thread. What happened on that 4th down play should have been called helping or assisting the runner, but it is never called any more.

Can anyone tell me why the defensive holding call flag was picked up in the third quarter? I watched the replay today and it seemed like a legit hold of Kolar. There had been two PI calls during that drive against OSU, so I guess the refs were reluctant to call a third penalty on the Cowboy defense in that one series?

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I brought this up in the game day thread. What happened on that 4th down play should have been called helping or assisting the runner, but it is never called any more.

Can anyone tell me why the defensive holding call flag was picked up in the third quarter? I watched the replay today and it seemed like a legit hold of Kolar. There had been two PI calls during that drive against OSU, so I guess the refs were reluctant to call a third penalty on the Cowboy defense in that one series?
It’s a dumb rule, when the ball is considered thrown out of the endzone it negates those. Not 100% firm on the exact rule but is around that area.