AAC and Sun Belt raiding C-USA

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Isn’t ISU’s assistant coach Greene in line to take that program over? He commutes from cedar falls to Ames for work as far as I know.

Kyle knows the underlying issues.

He would have taken the job had Minnesota worked out for Jake simply to coach AJ but I can't imagine he'd take that job at this point plus UNI is totally going to cheap out on the next hire.

It's real bad up here and it's not getting the attention it should.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Kyle knows the underlying issues.

He would have taken the job had Minnesota worked out for Jake simply to coach AJ but I can't imagine he'd take that job at this point plus UNI is totally going to cheap out on the next hire.

It's real bad up here and it's not getting the attention it should.

I was sent this thread about some issues in the UNI AD...wow...of course...it is just a message board and it stretches 15 pages but things do seem dysfunctional up there at the moment:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Major friction with the AD. Several projects and promises have not been followed through on. Marketing has been awful which has led to smaller crowds and reduced season ticket numbers which directly effects Jake's compensation. His recruiting budget has been slashed and Jake was reprimanded for spending too much on the Vermont buy game this year though it's well within the bounds of what his contract guarantees.

Farley is having similar issues. The new practice facility for football and the new team room in the Dome were completely fundraised by Mark on his own dime flying back and forth to Florida to work with lead donors.

David Harris is, frankly, incompetent and he's going to take UNI Athletics down with it.
I don’t care enough to do research but David Harris is Jamie’s underling and Jamie seems to act like he does a good job. Hopefully they get whatever figured out.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Major friction with the AD. Several projects and promises have not been followed through on. Marketing has been awful which has led to smaller crowds and reduced season ticket numbers which directly effects Jake's compensation. His recruiting budget has been slashed and Jake was reprimanded for spending too much on the Vermont buy game this year though it's well within the bounds of what his contract guarantees.

Farley is having similar issues. The new practice facility for football and the new team room in the Dome were completely fundraised by Mark on his own dime flying back and forth to Florida to work with lead donors.

David Harris is, frankly, incompetent and he's going to take UNI Athletics down with it.

Obv don't know anything about UNI's money situation or anything, but Harris was pretty highly thought of when he left ISU for UNI, wasn't he? I figured he would be a mini-Pollard and do good things there.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Obv don't know anything about UNI's money situation or anything, but Harris was pretty highly thought of when he left ISU for UNI, wasn't he? I figured he would be a mini-Pollard and do good things there.

We all thought the same thing though there were some pretty troubling things that came from people in the department right after he got here.

Those people, most of them long time UNI people, left the department to go work for UNI Foundation rather than stay with Athletics. They all said he wasn't charismatic enough to lead a DI athletic program and that fundraising was going to be a big problem as was fan engagement. All of that has born out to be true. He's also apparently a grade A ******* behind the scenes as well.

We're now about 4 years into 'Dome Renovation Plans should be out in the next month, we're just waiting on a lead gift and naming rights'. Truth is the Dome is going to get done because they're getting a bunch of tourism grants because of the High School Playoffs and trade shows and sounds like a naming rights deal is close with HyVee.

There's not much we can do about it. It doesn't appear that there's much heat on him other than one prominent booster so we'll continue to watch Drake pass us by and head back to obscurity. Iowa State is going to want us back on the schedule in MBB pretty quickly here becasue we'll fit right in with 250+ buy games.

• Love
Reactions: Hoggins

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
MWC won the tug of war.

MWC is naturally stronger unless Pac or Big 12 decide they want to seriously add mountain/west coast teams beyond what they already have.

You've got the Pac and Big 12 covering the entire western half of the country and basically only the MWC under it geographically.

Then you have three major conferences, the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC and CUSA in the east and central time zones.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
MWC won the tug of war.

MWC is naturally stronger unless Pac or Big 12 decide they want to seriously add mountain/west coast teams beyond what they already have.

You've got the Pac and Big 12 covering the entire western half of the country and basically only the MWC under it geographically.

Then you have three major conferences, the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC and CUSA in the east and central time zones.

Correct. The turning point in this whole thing is when Colorado State and Air Force decided to stay 'home'. Took all the leverage away from the AAC.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Correct. The turning point in this whole thing is when Colorado State and Air Force decided to stay 'home'. Took all the leverage away from the AAC.

very possible this is how it could have been for big 12 if they publicly offered PAC schools since it’s been established they are struggling most in $$$ dept pre to/ou leaving

probably better we just added byu and top aac rather than go through that possibility of public snub

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We all thought the same thing though there were some pretty troubling things that came from people in the department right after he got here.

Those people, most of them long time UNI people, left the department to go work for UNI Foundation rather than stay with Athletics. They all said he wasn't charismatic enough to lead a DI athletic program and that fundraising was going to be a big problem as was fan engagement. All of that has born out to be true. He's also apparently a grade A ******* behind the scenes as well.

We're now about 4 years into 'Dome Renovation Plans should be out in the next month, we're just waiting on a lead gift and naming rights'. Truth is the Dome is going to get done because they're getting a bunch of tourism grants because of the High School Playoffs and trade shows and sounds like a naming rights deal is close with HyVee.

There's not much we can do about it. It doesn't appear that there's much heat on him other than one prominent booster so we'll continue to watch Drake pass us by and head back to obscurity. Iowa State is going to want us back on the schedule in MBB pretty quickly here becasue we'll fit right in with 250+ buy games.
I live near pantherville and have heard similar things. I drove past the dome before their game against I think Saint Something and saw so many hawk tailgate tents. I was then reminded that I really have no reason to feel all that bad for the fanbase as a whole. There are real Panther fans like yourself I do feel bad for.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't think shutting down the AD is appropriate but they should be held to the same standard as the other 2 regent Universities in that the AD's need to be self sustaining or close to it.

As soon as those massive TV checks start rolling in we can be.

UNI is in a totally different world and takes a tiny fraction of general fund money and far, far less than our pets.

I'm an Iowa State guy too, so I mean this in the best way, people have a really short memory and seem to forget that Iowa State was taking general fund money too up and until this TV contract.

I'm always going to error on the side of giving as many kids as many opportunities as possible.

Reactions: cyfanatic

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
As soon as those massive TV checks start rolling in we can be.

UNI is in a totally different world and takes a tiny fraction of general fund money and far, far less than our pets.

I'm an Iowa State guy too, so I mean this in the best way, people have a really short memory and seem to forget that Iowa State was taking general fund money too up and until this TV contract.

I'm always going to error on the side of giving as many kids as many opportunities as possible.

It was before this TV contract that the AD went self sufficient.

Reactions: WhoISthis

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If the Sun Belt pulls that off, C-USA would be down to five schools and few options. Liberty would be #6. They probably could add New Mexico State and UMass to get to the NCAA minimum of 8, but that is an awful league.

More likely that UTEP (and NMSU) joins the WAC when it becomes an FBS conference again. Western Kentucky and maybe Middle Tennessee State could try to get into the MAC. Louisiana Tech and FIU are really screwed if this happens and might end up forced into being independents.

Ironically WKU and MTSU left the Sun Belt for CUSA just 9 years ago. How the turntables…

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
UNI's AD shutting down would be great for ISU and UNI. Many of those kids would be walk ons or gray shirt types.

That being said, I hope they hire someone competent and get it figured out.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It was before this TV contract that the AD went self sufficient.

Nope.

Regardless, we should be doing everything we can to provide opportunities for young people to get an education, especially when minority students disproportionally benefit from athletic scholarships.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If the Sun Belt pulls that off, C-USA would be down to five schools and few options. Liberty would be #6. They probably could add New Mexico State and UMass to get to the NCAA minimum of 8, but that is an awful league.

More likely that UTEP (and NMSU) joins the WAC when it becomes an FBS conference again. Western Kentucky and maybe Middle Tennessee State could try to get into the MAC. Louisiana Tech and FIU are really screwed if this happens and might end up forced into being independents.

Ironically WKU and MTSU left the Sun Belt for CUSA just 9 years ago. How the turntables…

I completely missed the memo about WAC resurfacing for football. From what I gather on-the-fly, it's FCS with goal to move up to FBS "later in the decade"?? Any word about that process? (I'm curious if, given recent developments, if that'll happen).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron