Williams & Blum Pod: Licking our wounds ... up next, Vegas

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Whoa Brent - all I did was agree with you. Then the Mac-hating posse pounces. I didn't even mention him, but some here are obsessed. If they're ever in a coma, just whisper "Dan McCarney" in their ear and they'll come out of it quick.

Anyway, your exact phrase: "You feel for all those guys that elected to come back. And I know for a fact that beating Iowa was one of those reasons why. They wanted a special season."

My post: "At least Blum attested to the huge importance of this game - that one of the big reasons some players chose to come back for another year was to finally beat Iowa."

Where's the misrepresentation?
For the players losing to Iowa four times in a row is a very long time and something they will never forget.....Just ask the players who played for Criner and Walden .....How they feel about the playing Iowa and losing four in a row...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
For the players losing to Iowa four times in a row is a very long time and something they will never forget.....Just ask the players who played for Criner and Walden .....How they feel about the playing Iowa and losing four in a row...
Good they should feel this for the rest of their lives. That performance was unacceptable.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Plus if you have a lot of quick 3 and out on a extremely hot day, your defense could get pretty worn down.

Like Paul Rhoads/Tom Herman teams. I swear some of those teams had a TOP of 10 Offense 50 Defense.

ISU is fine. Manning is a marginal OC, and didn't have a good game plan at all. And we had some really boneheaded turnovers that still barely lost the game.

I'm hoping the rust is really knocked off, and UNLV will get the rest off. And maybe the players will actually have fun this game. The last 2 hours of football haven't been fun for anybody, really.

• Agree
Reactions: larrysarmy

indycyclone

Sep 10, 2012
Avon, IN
Really at the end of the day, ISU tried to out Iowa, Iowa. Was and never will be a good game plan. Has not worked in 6 years. Likely will never work. Most teams plan to get the other team out of their comfort zone not run right into it. The scheme we run works great in the BIG XII now and future version because those teams don't want a slug fest (except Vampire U). Time to move on to the next, the season is not ruined by any means, even though this was a huge disappointment.

Reactions: CyBobby

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Really at the end of the day, ISU tried to out Iowa, Iowa. Was and never will be a good game plan. Has not worked in 6 years. Likely will never work. Most teams plan to get the other team out of their comfort zone not run right into it. The scheme we run works great in the BIG XII now and future version because those teams don't want a slug fest (except Vampire U). Time to move on to the next, the season is not ruined by any means, even though this was a huge disappointment.

In 2021 (and likely in 2019) we had every opportunity to beat Iowa by doing Iowa things. We have/had the talent to do it and the defense to back it up. 4 TO’s and where they occurred lost this game. It was details, not scheme that cost us. Inspite of that, we only lost by 10. Doesn’t mean the way you want to play should be scraped for this game or any other.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Then why did ISU have so many chances to beat Iowa? Each of the past 4 times ISU's been right there, exception maybe being 2018.

'17, '19, and this weekend came down to one team being more sound than the other when it mattered most.

Iowa's had some nice teams those seasons so the play needed to be made.

Vs. Texas and OU or in tighter games with other opponents, ISU has made the plays. The exception to that was '19 with a team less able than we as fans understood.

Reactions: larrysarmy

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
the Minnesota team that went 11-2 a couple of years ago had to learn the hard way against Iowa. For 3 quarters they tried to slog it out with Iowa and it didn't go well at all. Finally Fleck said screw it and they went to an up-tempo game and started throwing the ball all over the field. Iowa had no answer and couldn't stop Minnesota in that 4rth Q. It was to little to late, but at least Fleck figured it out. I hope our staff doesn't not try to beat Iowa at it's own game next year.

It had more to do with Iowa scoring two quick TDs in the 1st quarter and Minnesota not being able to capitalize in the red zone. Minnesota only scored once in the 4th quarter with about 2-3 min left in the game.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
The play calling was not inspiring but you have an all American coughing up the ball too easy on a simple first down run. You have a veteran QB that can’t hit his receivers and won’t use his feet. Good players playing bad is all there is too it. Let’s hope they shape up and return to form. If not next man needs to come up and get it done.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
If Iowa State wants to feature Breece, it will be with 2-and 3 tight end sets, as the O-Line can't block.
A 3 tight end set means 1 WR on the field. Eventually the WRs will ask why they aren't playing, except for X.
And then you won't be able to recruit WRs. It is a dilemma. (and Brock can't throw the deep ball....but he can throw 15 yards to one of 3 tight ends)

And it doesn't matter who says it. It's true.
I’m not sure how one can blame the offensive line when they are always running against a stacked box. The whole point of the spread is to stop stacked boxes, but teams have to respect your wide receivers in order for that to happen. The passing game killed the running game against Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lol Finebaumn being so predictable with his Dbag take. I bet he said Ohio State is still a contender though.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I AGREE It will never work to try.... to out Ferentz....Ferentz!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I AGREE It will never work to try.... to out Ferentz....Ferentz!!

Gonna ask again...how do NW and WI do it? Am I missing something here?

Has ISU not had ample opportunities to beat or even finish off Iowa during the CMC era when they've played?

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Then why did ISU have so many chances to beat Iowa? Each of the past 4 times ISU's been right there, exception maybe being 2018.

'17, '19, and this weekend came down to one team being more sound than the other when it mattered most.

Iowa's had some nice teams those seasons so the play needed to be made.

Vs. Texas and OU or in tighter games with other opponents, ISU has made the plays. The exception to that was '19 with a team less able than we as fans understood.

At the end of the day what matters is the W or the L. "well we would have won if. . . " is loser talk. People can say our scheme "should have" won all they like until they're red in the face, but the fact is we lose every year now.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
the Minnesota team that went 11-2 a couple of years ago had to learn the hard way against Iowa. For 3 quarters they tried to slog it out with Iowa and it didn't go well at all. Finally Fleck said screw it and they went to an up-tempo game and started throwing the ball all over the field. Iowa had no answer and couldn't stop Minnesota in that 4rth Q. It was to little to late, but at least Fleck figured it out. I hope our staff doesn't not try to beat Iowa at it's own game next year.
Not sure about this analysis. Fleck has also never beaten Iowa while at mn. If he figured out how to win in ‘19, he didn’t remember what to do the next year. He lost 35-7 in ‘20.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There's no special formula for beating Iowa. We have beaten ourselves by lacking execution. Simple as that. Iowa is not more talented than us anymore. We just never seem to be ready for this game. In the end that's on Campbell.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Slightly off topic but something that I’ve noticed that’s REALLY annoyed me over the past couple of days. Ohio State loses as 14.5 pt favorites and the narrative is all “They’ll have plenty of time to recover and are still in the playoff race. Good for them for scheduling Oregon.”

Iowa State loses to Iowa and the narrative is “SEE I TOLD YOU IOWA STATE WAS FAKE AND NOT VERY GOOD”.

I get what you are saying. The name on the front of the jersey matters. In the case of OSU, Bama and a few other schools they unfortunately are favored. Hell, how do you think Penn State fans feel. They are 2-0 and beat Wisky on the road. Yet they are still a spot behind OSU in polls!

But after watching ISU's first 2 games, does the Cyclone's on-field play warrant the national media to stick up for the ISU? Sure we have potential, but the truth is we haven't played like a top 25 team. The good thing is every game from here on out is a chance to prove we are good. Maybe even elite.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There's no special formula for beating Iowa. We have beaten ourselves by lacking execution. Simple as that. Iowa is not more talented than us anymore. We just never seem to be ready for this game. In the end that's on Campbell.

Imo ISU right now has some sort of 'yips' when playing Iowa and to a lesser extent Okie State. They can't get out of their own way.

Reminds me of the ISU/Iowa series in the early 2000s. Iowa had their chances in '01 and '02 but kept having weird things happen while ISU stayed the course and played with less of a conscience.