Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If it hadn’t happened in the Mountain West, it’s likely not happening in this version the Big 12.

More importantly, we’re not interested in turning someone local into another similar program. That’s actually bad for those in the Big 8. We need to add ones already basically there, but also with upside, in a new area. That’s why Cincy, UCF, and BYU are the top 3. Proven Inherent advantages that allow them to punch above their conference brand.

No G5’s in the current footprint can be added. That didn’t work even when we had OuT. Better to make Houston and SMU homeless than to give them an improved home.
The way to look at it is:
Priority 1: teams that elevate the Big 12, not the other way around. MAYBE you can claim BYU in this tier, but most likely there's no one available that can claim this.
Priority 2: teams that probably can elevate the Big 12, but only if membership in a major conference elevates them as a program - This is prob. where Cincy and UCF fall
Priority 3 (DO NOT ADDS): programs that will be elevated by joining a more prestigious conference, but even if they are successful, they don't really raise the profile or media value of the conference. I think most every other school falls in this realm, which is unfortunately like TCU or Baylor. I certainly think Houston would fall into this category.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Priority 1: teams that elevate the Big 12, not the other way around. MAYBE you can claim BYU in this tier, but most likely there's no one available that can claim this.
Priority 2: teams that probably can elevate the Big 12, but only if membership in a major conference elevates them as a program - This is prob. where Cincy and UCF fall
Priority 3 (DO NOT ADDS): programs that will be elevated by joining a more prestigious conference, but even if they are successful, they don't really raise the profile or media value of the conference. I think most every other school falls in this realm, which is unfortunately like TCU or Baylor. I certainly think Houston would fall into this category.

I generally agree with this and continue to think the Big 12’s most likely courses are (1) add two of BYU, UCF, and Cincinnati or (2) add all three of them plus one of Boise State, Memphis, or USF.

I had thought Houston but I imagine the report that said “The Big 12 is skeptical of Fertitta” really just meant that the existing Texas schools don’t want to elevate another one, and that makes sense.

The Boise/Memphis/USF tier has its own pros and cons and I have no idea how they’d shake out at the end. I just wouldn’t count out USF because they are by far the best university of the three options and university presidents are making these decisions.

I guess option (3) is add BYU for football only and add Cincinnati and UCF as full members. Play a 10-game football round robin, and have 10 members for all other sports just like now. This might avoid some of the BYU Sunday issues and allow you to add the 3 that actually make sense without reaching for a fourth. But BYU brings more basketball value than UCF would, by far, so maybe this isn’t smart.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agreed. And it's equally cute that there are apparently some who believe Bowlsby is making statements in his own personal best interest, not necessarily the universities. As if he's gone rogue and forgotten who employs him.
Not to mention, what is the best interest of SOME of the universities is not in the best interest of the others. We have to keep in mind, what is best for any of the schools is getting an invite, bolting and the conference dissolving. So Bowlsby, Luck, the presidents and ADs have a delicate balance. The only way it becomes anything other than that is if all of the schools have decided that they don't have a chance at getting into the PAC, Big10, ACC or SEC. Short of that there will be a conflict of what's best for each of the schools as individuals vs. what is best for the league as an entity.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I’m glad you guys like my idea. I wonder if it’s ever been brought up. Mexico City has been talked about for an NFL team for a while now. I would imagine some of these institutions could find big donor money. Recruiting to Toronto wouldn’t be too absurd and I honestly think homegrown talent would be plentiful when you are talking about an entire country of people.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Power 5 was what emerged from "BCS conference" when there were six conferences with BCS bowl autobids, and now there are five with New Year's Six bowl bids. It was never an official term; it's just what the media came up with based on perception.

No one knows what the bowl/playoff landscape will look like moving forward so it's not really clear what people will call the top conferences, or if the term will include the Big 12. If we get a 12-team playoff with 6 spots reserved for conference champs, then the Power Five leagues will make it basically every year and the 6th spot will go to an American/Mtn West/Sun Belt team, so I think the Power Five term would have a pretty good chance of surviving to refer to "the conferences that basically always make the playoff."
It's crazy the chaos within college athletics when one considers:
- Supreme Court Opinions.
- NIL.
- OU/UT to SEC.
- Covid.
- Proposal for 12 team CFB playoff that could generate $2B annually which is $1.4B more than current 4 team plus NY 6 Bowl media rights payout.

And each has far reaching consequences and the OU/UT movement might be the least impactful to the college athletic ecosystem. Although it has a big impact on 8 Big12 schools.

- NIL could be a first step to student athletes unionizing or becoming classified as University employees. At a minimum it seems like we could see student-athletes collectively bargain at some level (P5, Conference Level, Sport Specific).

- Supreme Court Opinions could lead to a demise or restructuring of the NCAA. A Constitutional Convention has been called for this fall. The P4/5 & G5 distinction could continue or P4/5 could separate from G5 and G5 would need to create their own championship structure and media rights deal like FCS.

So I would be surprised if we see much clarity over the next 6 months. And we will continue to hear vague announcements. It would seem the Constitutional Convention and it's proposals will be first step.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloneon

CaptainEric37

Aug 31, 2021
Broken Arrow, OK
I had thought Houston but I imagine the report that said “The Big 12 is skeptical of Fertitta” really just meant that the existing Texas schools don’t want to elevate another one, and that makes sense.

I remember talk early in the Big 12 history was a block of 4 Texas schools could either block or force through anything the Texas legislature wanted. Then after A&M left, the whorns could pressure the legislature to force the other 3 schools to vote with Texas. I don't remember anything specifically, just that there was talk about this being a huge concern. With the whorns out of the picture, I'm sure it's less of a problem, but not completely gone.

I'm not sure the Big 12 wants 4 Texas schools again.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
PAC-12 Grant of Rights expires on 2025. Oklahoma and Texas (as of now) are expected to honor the Big-12 GOR until 2025.

Before the OU & Texas to SEC new broke, the PAC-12 was the weakest power 5 conference. What's stopping the Big 12 from pouching PAC-12 schools if the Big-12 can guaranteed more money. Also, why shouldn't the Big-12 explore going beyond 10/12 teams and go to 16?

It appears BYU has been confirmed to "add value", so if you're heading west why stop at BYU. When the PAC-12 GoR expire say go hey (X,Y, & Z PAC-12 schools) come join us. On top of those 4 schools we're adding UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, & Memphis. I'd think this conference would bring more value than anything the PAC-12 can muster.
I believe Pac12 GOR (or at least their media deals) end with 2023/24 school year. Big10 ends 1 year earlier and Big12 ends 1 year later.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
What in that article says anything remotely concretely about it being something that happens soon?

Nothing. But he’s posted it in multiple threads. Maybe he’s friends with the author, and trying to generate clicks?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It would be interesting after nearly 10 years, if the ACC could do it again, would they have added Louisville, Pittsburg and Syracuse? Or even Boston College or VA Tech going back almost 20 years.

History might show that bumping up to a more prestigious Conference doesn't automatically lift a specific schools competitiveness- especially when it comes to football.

However, there may be more opportunity for schools in states that are growing population wise. That's where schools like USF, UNLV, San Diego State, Boise State and CSU might be future plays. While Cincy, UCF and BYU might be current plays.

It would be interesting if the Big12 would approach a school like UNLV, Boise State or USF with conditional acceptance into the Big12. Set requirements from academic, athletics, attendance and donor support that must be met within 5-10 years or they are dropped from Big12.

I struggle with the fact some of the schools being mentioned don't have strength across many of their athletic programs. Do we want to add schools that draw 5,000 fans to MBB games or pay lip service to women's sports?

Reactions: jcyclonee