Kansas to Big 10?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So the Big 10 invitation is on the way? Why are we in this position if markets don't matter?
I have no idea what's on it's way. What position do you think we're in? And do you honestly believe it is 'us' that put ourselves here or the OuT's egos? There's way too much yet to be seen/discovered/done, to draw any conclusions. All, I know is our product is not as bad as what you've continued to tout.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I have no idea what's on it's way. What position do you think we're in? And do you honestly believe it is 'us' that put ourselves here or the OuT's egos? There's way too much yet to be seen/discovered/done, to draw any conclusions. All, I know is our product is not as bad as what you've continued to tout.
We're going to end up in the new Big 12 which will be a mid-major. That kind of tells you what the national perception of ISU is.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
So the Big 10 invitation is on the way? Why are we in this position if markets don't matter?

We are in this position because the TV markets are in mid evolution.The old and declinining “large market-low fan intensity” model that made revenue by getting cable providers to charge all people in a large market area by attaching a cost to viewers who do NOT watch or care about footbal…to the new and surging model of ala carte subscription streaming in which revenue will directly be a factor of how many people are willing to pay for a specific team/matchup’s games throughout a season. That evolution is still in its early to mid stages but is CLEARLY accelerating. This evolution is precisely WHY ESPN is trying to lock down what’s left of a shrinking old style cable market…it’s an effort to stave off streaming companies like Amazon who will soon crush the old cable model. Ultimately, ESPN can only delay this new model…but it is doomed to fail.

So, to answer your original question…long term sound financial thinking very much values the more devoted and avid fan based…and in person game attendance certainly correlates to the potential strength of ISU as a valued property moving forward. The SEC, thinking short term AND held hostage to ESPN’s willingness to shell out money now to delay what is an inevitable and approaching new paradigm, is making a mistake. The B1G is now in the midst of a heated internal debate over long vs short term fiscal policy…if that debate is resolved in favor of long term thought, ISU absolutely will receive such an invite. If not, we won’t. It’s really that simple.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
cheaper gas, better liquor laws.

Went to the Packers-Chiefs game with some friends back in 2011(?). Stayed over on the Kansas side.

Went to Walmart on Sunday morning to buy beer. Cashier informed us you can’t buy beer before noon on Sunday’s in KS.

Drove across the border and found a Missourah liquor store, who took care of us.

Missouri earned a special place in my heart that day.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I would argue that with the focus now being on streaming subscriptions vs cable packages those things like bowl game attendance and home game attendance absolutely do matter.
There's clearly something about larger population centers that adds to the attractiveness of a school especially if they aren't a major brand. Whether it's tv revenue or not. Otherwise conferences would be knocking on our door now.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I mean for starters the ESPN mothership has continuously told fans across the county that we don't belong so they can continue to pander to the blue bloods. If the B1G expands they are grabbing TV inventory that is up for grabs and Iowa State has the viewership to capitalize on that. To say that Iowa State offers no value is just silly.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
KC to STL on i-70 is the worst drive of my life.

I'd rather take i80 across nebby from omaha to scotts bluff

am i wrong?
The drive down to the Ozarks is worse. All those ****** up backroads. Don't drink and drive there either because they'll catch you. Got a DUI at 7am in Camdenton back in '07. Not fun.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There's clearly something about larger population centers that adds to the attractiveness of a school especially if they aren't a major brand. Whether it's tv revenue or not. Otherwise conferences would be knocking on our door now.

You are 100% correct but that was when cable subscriptions were the only thing that matters.

Reactions: CYDJ and khardbored

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
You are 100% correct but that was when cable subscriptions were the only thing that matters.

Market size will always be part of the equation when media companies look at these kind of deals. It is fact. It won't be as important as market size was to the B1G Network...but it certainly factors into the equation.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Went to the Packers-Chiefs game with some friends back in 2011(?). Stayed over on the Kansas side.

Went to Walmart on Sunday morning to buy beer. Cashier informed us you can’t buy beer before noon on Sunday’s in KS.

Drove across the border and found a Missourah liquor store, who took care of us.

Missouri kind of has a trashy outlaw charm that's deep rooted in its history. Where else does an entire town shoot the town bully on main Street as recently as the 80s and get away with it?

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
You people can tell yourselves whatever you need to do to feel better. If we were attractive to anyone we wouldn't be in this position. Keep thinking the people at USC and Stanford are going to invite us to the PAc-12 because we travel to Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament.

I hope for your sake we end up in the Mac. It seems that would make you incredibly happy

you can go full on with your Missouri fandom then.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Used to be that way in Iowa. Also bars couldn't be open on Sunday unless a certain percentage of their business was food. Dugan's made a killing on Sundays back then.
Long John Silvers used to sell tap beer. We sometimes stopped by there on a Sunday just to buy a few beers.