• Jollibee

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.0%

• Total voters

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Must say, I'm highly intrigued by all the Kwik Star love. Gonna have to try it out. Sandwich, tenders, or fried chicken?

We had the fried chicken, mashed, mac and cheese a few weeks ago because we had nothing for dinner and live close to a Kwik Trip (WI). There was a discount on one of the sides and it also came with free rolls. I have had fried or broasted chicken 5 times since moving here 4 months ago and it was the best, hands down. It's crunchy, well seasoned and not greasy at all.

I was pretty surprised about how good it was.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We had the fried chicken, mashed, mac and cheese a few weeks ago because we had nothing for dinner and live close to a Kwik Trip (WI). There was a discount on one of the sides and it also came with free rolls. I have had fried or broasted chicken 5 times since moving here 4 months ago and it was the best, hands down. It's crunchy, well seasoned and not greasy at all.

I was pretty surprised about how good it was.

The thing I am most impressed with their fried chicken is they package it in plastic containers and put it on the to-go hot warmer shelf and it is still crispy and not dried out meat. Even Hy-Vee with their fried chicken that sits in the warmer case they pull it out from can dry out so not sure if Kwik Star just sells that much chicken they put it out a fast as they sell it or if they cook it just right that is stays moist and crispy longer.

Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The thing I am most impressed with their fried chicken is they package it in plastic containers and put it on the to-go hot warmer shelf and it is still crispy and not dried out meat. Even Hy-Vee with their fried chicken that sits in the warmer case they pull it out from can dry out so not sure if Kwik Star just sells that much chicken they put it out a fast as they sell it or if they cook it just right that is stays moist and crispy longer.

When I was buying it one of the cashiers was on her earpiece radio telling someone what was going out the door. I think they are making it fresh on the regular.

They also have rotisserie chickens that look good.

I also bought some smoked pork chops there the other day, but haven't tried them yet.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never understood the infatuation with Chick-Fil-A. Their sandwich is OK but I've had better and it's not worth waiting the long drive thru lines to get. Used to live about 5 minutes from a Popeye's and I'd take anything on their menu over any fast food chicken place. Now I'm about 20 minutes away from that location which is the closest of the 3 in the DM metro so don't get my fill there often anymore.

BTW the KFC in West Des Moines has gone down the crapper in the past year or 2 and not sure if the rest are the same but last 2 piece meal I got there a couple months ago was 2 pathetically small pieces of meat. I remember the KFC on Lincoln Way in Ames used to do a buffet that was a good bang for your buck back in college too.

We'd occasionally hit up the KFC lunch buffet up by the mall. It was a great way to recover from the previous night out.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
When I was buying it one of the cashiers was on her earpiece radio telling someone what was going out the door. I think they are making it fresh on the regular.

They also have rotisserie chickens that look good.

I also bought some smoked pork chops there the other day, but haven't tried them yet.

The rotisserie is good IMO, I usually eat some then pull the rest and use on salads for the next couple of days. I know it's lazy but the ribs they sell aren't bad for the price. Cut the marinade bag leave them in the provided tray 45 min or so in the oven done. I'm going to throw some on the grill one of these evenings.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
When introduced it was terrific but I think it changed not for the better.

Same thing happened to the tendercrisp at BK. I used to love those in college, but they're nowhere near as good now. The new McDonald's crispy chicken sandwich reminds me of the original tendercrisp, though, and I can finally live the dream of pairing that sandwich with McDonald's fries.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I preference is Chick-fil-A. Give me the 12 pc nuggets with Chick-fil-A sauce.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Just had the first chicken sandwich at Popeye's in Urbandale yesterday. It was absolutely the best chicken sandwich I've had - thick, light brown crispy breading (NOT overcooked), and juicy. Better than Chic-fil-A. BK, Wendy's isn't bad but BK and McDonalds aren't close. I can see why all the fast food restaurants are chasing Popeye's.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and jcyclonee

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Cane's does it best with strictly chicken. For sauce and fries give me Chic Fil A

wait, you like the Chic Fil A fries? Their chicken and shakes are good, their fries are fine which isn't a compliment given how inherently delicious fries are. I can't think of a fast food chain with worse fries actually.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
wait, you like the Chic Fil A fries? Their chicken and shakes are good, their fries are fine which isn't a compliment given how inherently delicious fries are. I can't think of a fast food chain with worse fries actually.
CFA fries are soggy within a couple minutes drive home. If they could stay hot and firm (TWSS), I'd like them more.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
The best chicken sandwich is one made with a thigh rather than the giant, stringy, tough, tasteless CAFO manufactured boneless breast meat.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
CFA fries are soggy within a couple minutes drive home. If they could stay hot and firm (TWSS), I'd like them more.

They are my fav fast food fries but you have to eat them immediately. I eat them in the car and always before the chicken.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Chik-Fil-A near my house, at one time, was (and might still be) the highest grossing location in the chain. About 10 years ago, they tore the place down and rebuilt it with double-lane drive through. The drive-thru is full night and day.

I like the company...I just don't care for their chicken. I would go to El Pollo Loco, Popeyes, and Chicken Express before Chik-Fil-A

Chil fil A only started up in socal about 10 years ago and they have lines of cars that rival In-N-Out. The chain has to be taking it in. The other place with crazy lines is Krispy Kreme. Not exaggerating I've seen 100 cars waiting for KRispy Kreme drive through. I'd invest in either of them if I could based on the lines of cars.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Hardee's, Burger King, Wendy's are bad. Every few years it feels like they change them.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY