Jamie vs the DMR

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Because it is a simple story that has already been told. Baseball loses money hand-over-fist for most schools and that is even more so when you consider the title 9 implications of it.

That's every single sport outside of Football and Men's Basketball but somehow 300 other schools at the division 1 level figure out how to make baseball work.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He probably could have dropped the "that's why I cancelled" to sound less petty, but he is dead right. He could have been much more positive spin simply by asking why no coverage of the ISU and UNI non-revs.

But in fairness I cancelled my CR Gazette subscription for the same reason. In ~1998.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's a tweet he probably didn't need to send, and undoubtedly it comes off as whiney. I have no issue with the baseball story, although 20 years later it seems a bit belabored to still be talking about it. But leaving out historic accomplishments by Iowa State SB and track while writing on Iowa's track, baseball and softball is quite revealing on how they intend to cover Iowa State.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Maybe he can just block the DMR on twitter. That'll show 'em!

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Ok to criticize the Register, but the cancel subscription language is going too far...
I would have sworn the baseball team was dropped 30 years ago and not 20, so what do I know.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So are the people who think JP is whiny ok with the softball and track teams getting zero mentions? While the U of I teams were covered? People focusing on just the baseball story complaint are petty, narrow minded and letting their personal opinions get in the way of what he said, his real grip was the success of the softball and track teams not being mentioned. If that were included, he wouldn't have said a thing.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm glad he stands up publicly when the situation warrants. Take the Iowa band controversy from a couple years ago - I'm glad he was very vocal in pushing back against that because his counterpart at Iowa was mishandling a controversy and damaging his athletic department's reputation.

But things like this and the broadside against the faculty last fall are whiny and dumb and make him a less credible messenger for when he really does have a legitimate gripe.

That said...no need to blow it out of proportion either. When Jamie Pollard retires someday, the absolute worst thing people will be able to say about him is that he's a bit thin-skinned, occasionally picks a dumb fight, and blocks people on Twitter. I can certainly live with that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't have a subscription to the DMR but sometimes read the article. And almost always regret it.
I'll go ahead and assume some of the ex-ISU players, like Hanrahan, kept pushing the Reg for this story, gave contact info for other players, etc., and finally the Reg gave in. Easy content.