Who’s your starting 5 as of now?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Kunc barely played at a program almost as bad as Iowa St last year. Enaruna will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

The column with 458 at the bottom is minutes played and the rightmost one is points scored for Kunc.

1620307753496.png

I don't think double-digits 4/10 games and generally in the 25-30 minutes per night range is "barely played."

I know Enaruna has some stars power, but he played 10.9 minutes as a freshman and 9.4 minutes as a sophomore. He hasn't averaged more than three points per game in his two-year college career so far. Yes, he was behind some absolute monsters in Kansas' rotation and will hopefully a late bloomer -- I hope so for our sake.

But Kunc has proven more productivity and efficiency at the high-major level at this point.

And Washington State was not nearly as bad as us last year. They went 7-12 in the Pac-12.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I guarantee with this much depth, practice intensity just got pushed to 11/10. They are going to get after it. Any chance at the summer league deal this summer?

Reactions: Halincandenza

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
agree with you but…you don’t have to be extremely tall to rebound

exhibit A: Ejim
exhibit B: Hogue

giving a crap and positioning are more important
It was hard to rebound under Phrom because most of the time 4 players were beyond the 3 point line! Then when they chucked up a 3 they would all head down court to play defense! I think TJ will have 3 guys pounding the glass and 2 back on defense.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The column with 458 at the bottom is minutes played and the rightmost one is points scored for Kunc.

View attachment 84972

I don't think double-digits 4/10 games and generally in the 25-30 minutes per night range is "barely played."

I know Enaruna has some stars power, but he played 10.9 minutes as a freshman and 9.4 minutes as a sophomore. He hasn't averaged more than three points per game in his two-year college career so far. Yes, he was behind some absolute monsters in Kansas' rotation and will hopefully a late bloomer -- I hope so for our sake.

But Kunc has proven more productivity and efficiency at the high-major level at this point.

And Washington State was not nearly as bad as us last year. They went 7-12 in the Pac-12.
Washington state v. Kansas. Kind of hard to compare the players based on productivity. I know that is the only thing we have but still.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Really going to be a battle for the starting lineup I think. Which is a good thing. Good thing is they have legit power conference players. Only position I am concerned about is PG. Hunter is just a Freshman and even good Freshman PGs struggle and not sure who really is the secondary PG.

Reactions: loyalson4evatru

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Washington state v. Kansas. Kind of hard to compare the players based on productivity. I know that is the only thing we have but still.

Outwardly better player on an objectively much worse team.

Outwardly worse player stuck behind some All-Americans on an objectively much better team.

Really hard to figure out which of the two will come out on top -- that is why we play these games.

But dismissing one as "dumb" is pretty silly. Both positions are defensible at this point.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Outwardly worse player stuck behind some All-Americans on an objectively much better team.

Really hard to figure out which of the two will come out on top -- that is why we play these games.

But dismissing one as "dumb" is pretty silly. Both positions are defensible at this point.
If I had to guess I would say they are pretty even but who knows. If I remember correctly, I read something about Enaruna being stuck in the Netherlands during last summer and they really did have a full on lock down and his plans for his summer workouts to improve got totally blown up. I also think he barely made it back in time for the fall semester because of the travel restrictions. So I think it is possible that he takes a huge step forward this off season.

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
glad we found established decent players to fill out roster, but roster is looking pretty funky. no backup PG? we are long and more athletic, seems like we could be a really good defensive team. 3pt shooting is looking....rough. ugh. just can't get that excited about a team that can't shoot 3's.

D-Fence! D-Fence! :/

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Hunter
Kalscheur
Brockington
Hinson
Foster
glad we found established decent players to fill out roster, but roster is looking pretty funky. no backup PG? we are long and more athletic, seems like we could be a really good defensive team. 3pt shooting is looking....rough. ugh. just can't get that excited about a team that can't shoot 3's.

D-Fence! D-Fence! :/
Potentially you've got three pretty good 3 point shooters in this lineup, Kalscheur, Hinson, and Foster. They've just got to prove they can do it, or do it again.

What concerns me is our rebounding. Don't Hinson and Foster like hanging around the perimeter for 3's? Who is going to do the dirty work down low?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Potentially you've got three pretty good 3 point shooters in this lineup, Kalscheur, Hinson, and Foster. They've just got to prove they can do it, or do it again.

What concerns me is our rebounding. Don't Hinson and Foster like hanging around the perimeter for 3's? Who is going to do the dirty work down low?
I don't care as much about offensive rebounding. Also, shooting 3's leads to longer rebounds anyway. As long as they can clear the defensive glass consistently I am happy.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

One one hand, yes a lot of the guys he was competing for time against are very talented guys. But I would not consider chipping into Braun's 30 plus minutes per game a little more a terribly high bar.

I do think some guys were in much better situations to deal with lack of preseason and normal offseason than others, so this was a tough year to gauge guys that under normal circumstances probably would've made a nice jump.

No matter what, the roster next year is a good mix of guys that have proven some decent productivity and guys that have potential but haven't yet put it all together.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't care as much about offensive rebounding. Also, shooting 3's leads to longer rebounds anyway. As long as they can clear the defensive glass consistently I am happy.
You have a point about the longer rebounds with the 3's. Also I have a feeling TJ is going to scheme to improve our offensive rebounding in some way. We will not be having 4-5 guys standing around the perimeter waiting for something to happen. There will be cutters and slashes to the middle, some will go all or most of the way, some will kick back out.

I will say this, if our defensive rebounding does not improve with the aforementioned starting 5, boom, Kunc is in, Enaruna is in, Conditt is in, we go taller.

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016

"pretty good 3 point shooters".......career numbers Kalscheur 34% (25% last year) Hinson 33% ....and Foster has shot 4 threes total.

that is some serious faith you have. i know what my defensive plan would be against us.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
"pretty good 3 point shooters".......career numbers Kalscheur 34% (25% last year) Hinson 33% ....and Foster has shot 4 threes total.

that is some serious faith you have. i know what my defensive plan would be against us.
Easy fella.

No "serious faith here" in what I said. Notice I said 'potentially', so you are taking my words out of context, OK. I am hopeful we might have some good 3 point shooters.

It is all unknown at this point. No need to jump on me, although that was not likely your intent.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There are 7 different guys who could all start, which is a good thing as 7 guys usually see the bulk of the minutes.

Kalscheur, Brockington, and Hinson are all proven. Hunter, Enaruna, and Foster are more than talented enough. Kunk played very well at the end of the year when he wasn’t injured and just adds something a lot different than the rest.

And that’s not counting Grill who was UNLV’s PG last year. He’s obviously more of a SG who I think his 3% will improve and he’s athletic and willing to defend.

We might not have a great 3 point shooter, but we have a bunch of OK ones. This teams strength will be taking it to the rim and playing defense. And if they are being double or even triple teamed while taking it to the rim then there is more than likely someone wide open for a 3.

The key will be to end “hero ball”, and not shoot bad shots with time on the clock and a guy all over you anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and isucy86

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I appreciate the knowledge in this thread, so thanks. What are odds Conditt competes with Foster to start? I know Conditt struggled last year but I tuned out pretty early on.

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
Easy fella.

No "serious faith here" in what I said. Notice I said 'potentially', so you are taking my words out of context, OK. I am hopeful we might have some good 3 point shooters.

It is all unknown at this point. No need to jump on me, although that was not likely your intent.

potentially....."hopeful".....not giving me much confidence here haha
let's hope a couple guys make some big leaps in their 3pt shooting

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
potentially....."hopeful".....not giving me much confidence here haha
let's hope a couple guys make some big leaps in their 3pt shooting
For now we can enjoy the recruiting class that has committed, and the shot in the arm (no pun intended) that our BB program has received over the past month or two. It's best to remain positive after this for me. The first few years will likely have quite a few bumps along the way.

Expectations should not be too high in year one or two anyway. Even when we are good, like we've been in the not too distant past, making the tournament most years, being in the upper half or upper third of our conference, occassoinally making good runs in the tourney, those should be our goals. Not expecting to make the Tourney this year.

We shouldn't be throwing negatives so soon after our lineup is completed either, like about how we will have no 3 point shooters. At least give me a week or two before pointing out our upcoming season and the weaknesses we might have.

The upcoming couple of years should be fun. Thankyou.