****Official Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread****

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Tamin Lipsey is the PERFECT reserve point guard for 2022/23. Give Hunter a breather and not have a ton put on his shoulders. Remember how good Monte Morris was in the reserve PG role the year we had DeAndre Kane.

Also, go look at Baylor's national title team a week ago. Mitchell was the starting PG. But Adam Lagler played 22 minutes. Butler and Teague also would bring the ball up the floor in a fast break. You NEED multiple ball handlers

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I've got some friends up in Caledonia. I don't know anything real earth shaking about Eli King and I won't say any of this is gospel, but there are a few things I've gleaned from being around the town for years and from recent conversations.

1. Eli will play football this fall, but after that, he'll be 100% committed to basketball. If you look at the football offers he has, that's saying something.
2. His knee is coming along nicely and he's as active as anyone will let him be. Work ethic will never be a problem with that family.
3. Caledonia produces winners. They've won 5 straight state football titles and have the longest winning streak in the country at about 70 games. One of the King brothers has been the starting QB on each of those teams and Eli has been a starting WR or QB since middle school. He'll be an outstanding character/culture guy no matter where he ends up.
4. They finished runner up in basketball for the 3rd time in the last 6 years. They lost by 2 this weekend, so you can do the math on how they would have done with Eli on the floor. His dad is the head coach. The last time they were runner up was to Minnehaha with Suggs (Gonzaga) and some other D1 guys.
5. He walked out on the floor before the state title game, flat foot jumped off his good leg, and dunked in front of everybody. That got the place buzzing. He's going to be one helluva combo guard for somebody, but I don't know if he is set on being a 1 or not. You can't teach the kind of athleticism he has.
6. There was a time when people in that town thought a lot of TJ. I think everyone knows that in the end this is a business, but I know they were disappointed when he moved on from SDSU and wasn't there to coach Owen (who was there) and Noah (who was committed.) I have no idea how "personally" the family took it, or if there are hard feelings.
7. Caledonia has some strong Hawkeye leanings, going back to when Karl Klug went there before playing in the NFL. It has killed me to watch it happen and I've been hoping we could break the trend with Eli since it became obvious a couple years ago that he was going to be a high major player in either fb or bb.
8. I will be surprised if Eli commits to anyone early. Between COVID and his knee, he really hasn't gotten much exposure. The kid is a freak athlete and I think he's got more upside than he's shown. If he can have a good summer in AAU, I could see some more really good offers coming his way.
9. He's a great kid from a salt of the earth family. I've known his dad for close to 30 years although it's been a few since we've talked. I hope like hell he ends up in Ames, and pray to God he doesn't end up in IC, but no matter what I'm going to wish him well. He'll be an easy one for me to root for...except if he's a hawk.

Sorry. This got longer than it was supposed to. (twss)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I've got some friends up in Caledonia. I don't know anything real earth shaking about Eli King and I won't say any of this is gospel, but there are a few things I've gleaned from being around the town for years and from recent conversations.

1. Eli will play football this fall, but after that, he'll be 100% committed to basketball. If you look at the football offers he has, that's saying something.
2. His knee is coming along nicely and he's as active as anyone will let him be. Work ethic will never be a problem with that family.
3. Caledonia produces winners. They've won 5 straight state football titles and have the longest winning streak in the country at about 70 games. One of the King brothers has been the starting QB on each of those teams and Eli has been a starting WR or QB since middle school. He'll be an outstanding character/culture guy no matter where he ends up.
4. They finished runner up in basketball for the 3rd time in the last 6 years. They lost by 2 this weekend, so you can do the math on how they would have done with Eli on the floor. His dad is the head coach. The last time they were runner up was to Minnehaha with Suggs (Gonzaga) and some other D1 guys.
5. He walked out on the floor before the state title game, flat foot jumped off his good leg, and dunked in front of everybody. That got the place buzzing. He's going to be one helluva combo guard for somebody, but I don't know if he is set on being a 1 or not. You can't teach the kind of athleticism he has.
6. There was a time when people in that town thought a lot of TJ. I think everyone knows that in the end this is a business, but I know they were disappointed when he moved on from SDSU and wasn't there to coach Owen (who was there) and Noah (who was committed.) I have no idea how "personally" the family took it, or if there are hard feelings.
7. Caledonia has some strong Hawkeye leanings, going back to when Karl Klug went there before playing in the NFL. It has killed me to watch it happen and I've been hoping we could break the trend with Eli since it became obvious a couple years ago that he was going to be a high major player in either fb or bb.
8. I will be surprised if Eli commits to anyone early. Between COVID and his knee, he really hasn't gotten much exposure. The kid is a freak athlete and I think he's got more upside than he's shown. If he can have a good summer in AAU, I could see some more really good offers coming his way.
9. He's a great kid from a salt of the earth family. I've known his dad for close to 30 years although it's been a few since we've talked. I hope like hell he ends up in Ames, and pray to God he doesn't end up in IC, but no matter what I'm going to wish him well. He'll be an easy one for me to root for...except if he's a hawk.

No apology needed. The personal perspective from someone familiar with Eli is appreciated, at least by me. Please update the board more if you hear anything or get to see him throughout the year.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Lipseys announcement could be made here shortly. I love the idea of two lead guards on the floor together. Hunter and Lipsey in the backcourt would be great. Hunter/Lipsey/King gets a bit crowded. Steel sharpens steel and that competition for starter minutes would be great but you'd think if Lipsey commits King may be looking for a more clear path for early playing time.

Wait, what?! Lipsey could be making an announcement soon?? FaKe nEwS, or something

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

How and when did King hurt his knee and what was it? So both guards would have a history of a major knee injury. Bummer. But obviously its more common than we would like.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
How and when did King hurt his knee and what was it? So both guards would have a history of a major knee injury. Bummer. But obviously its more common than we would like.

I dont remember for sure but I believe it was a torn meniscus, so not a catastrophic injury, and that he hurt it in camp or in their first football game. They played 2 or 3 games before they lost the fall season to covid.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Lipseys announcement could be made here shortly. I love the idea of two lead guards on the floor together. Hunter and Lipsey in the backcourt would be great. Hunter/Lipsey/King gets a bit crowded. Steel sharpens steel and that competition for starter minutes would be great but you'd think if Lipsey commits King may be looking for a more clear path for early playing time.
Way too much angst over positions. You find the best five basketball players and put them on the floor. We just watched Baylor run through the NCAA with three guards and a 6'5" power forward running the show.
Tamin Lipsey is the PERFECT reserve point guard for 2022/23. Give Hunter a breather and not have a ton put on his shoulders. Remember how good Monte Morris was in the reserve PG role the year we had DeAndre Kane.

Also, go look at Baylor's national title team a week ago. Mitchell was the starting PG. But Adam Lagler played 22 minutes. Butler and Teague also would bring the ball up the floor in a fast break. You NEED multiple ball handlers
Three stud guards on the floor at the same time worked out OK for Baylor. Bring on Hunter, King and Lipsey.
Also reminds me of the Eddie Sutton's Razorback "Triplet" days.
Kalscheur, Hunter likely starters this year, maybe next also? No guarantee Kalscheur will want to come back for 5th year however, great if he does.

Say Lipsey and King both want to come next year and are both offered. I like it but it will be a good problem to have and coaching staff knows all the players, fit, etc., so. It would be fun to watch it play out.

Need good guards no doubt. As mentioned Baylor did pretty well with 3, even 4 guards that played a lot.
5 guards if you include 6-9 Meyer! Those 5 averaged over 8ppg each!
2020-21 Baylor Bears Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Kalscheur, Hunter likely starters this year, maybe next also? No guarantee Kalscheur will want to come back for 5th year however, great if he does.

Say Lipsey and King both want to come next year and are both offered. I like it but it will be a good problem to have and coaching staff knows all the players, fit, etc., so. It would be fun to watch it play out.

Need good guards no doubt. As mentioned Baylor did pretty well with 3, even 4 guards that played a lot.
5 guards if you include 6-9 Meyer! Those 5 averaged over 8ppg each!
2020-21 Baylor Bears Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Man, what a luxury to have that Mayer kid off the bench, a 6'9" shooting wing.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I could see Conditt using a 5th year after this year but Javan coming back would be for a 6th year and he turns 23 in January next season. No inside info but would be reasonable to think it's more likely he moves on after next year.
Specially if he doesn’t see much playing time next season!