Really feel for TxT fans with McClung now gone too ...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
(We landed on the moon warning)- Recruiting is all about relationships.

The vast majority of players commit to coaches, not schools. They may fall in love with the school after they get there, but that's not a guarantee.

This shouldn't be news to most fans, but based on the hate that gets directed towards departing players, they seem to forget it sometimes. I feel for Tech fans, but this is the nature of the game. I won't blame any player for wanting to leave when the coach who recruited them is no longer there.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Anyone who had taken even a cursory look at Beard's coaching history knows that Tech was hiring a hired gun. If they had any doubts the fact that they could poach him after less than 3 weeks at his last job should have been a clue. They took that risk and benefitted greatly for the last few years. Now they are paying the price.

And count me in for paying that price at ISU. If it were ISU that Beard had taken to the Championship Game and I knew he was going to bounce for UT right after, I'd take it. 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Which, of course, no one has done here.
I'm just speaking in general. I've been reading the tech message board and there's plenty of vitriol directed at these players. I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it's fair to the player

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know it was a while ago, but remember that Tim Floyd brought some scrub shooting guard with him when he came from New Orleans. Dude went on to be runner-up conference player of the year both years he was here.

Reactions: clonehome

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Yes, if he had an ounce of ethics, which he obviously doesn't, he'd say: Look you made a commitment to play at Tech. If you want to transfer that's fine, but not to Texas. That would be wrong for you, me and both schools. That's what Huggs did when he left for WVU. Beard is an unethical scumbag for destroying Tech's program. Just another reason to loathe Texas.

First, use quotes so that what I've bolded is recognizable as what I'm referencing, you made me underline it.

Second, you're probably right but I'm going to land on the side of these kids every single time. If an 18-19 y/o boy came to my office and said he wanted to join me and his teammates in Austin, I'm not telling him no. And before you go there, I get that they're adults...I was 18 when I went to boot camp...

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014
Yes, if he had an ounce of ethics, which he obviously doesn't, he'd say: Look you made a commitment to play at Tech. If you want to transfer that's fine, but not to Texas. That would be wrong for you, me and both schools. That's what Huggs did when he left for WVU. Beard is an unethical scumbag for destroying Tech's program. Just another reason to loathe Texas.
That’s a ridiculous comparison. Huggins left KSt in 2007. Transfers were not viewed the same and I’d be surprised if in that entire offseason there was even 5% of the players on the move as compared to what we’re seeing this year. I know their coach left but I’m not sure those K St players would have even been immediately eligible back then.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My consternation is with Beard, who I thought, wrongly evidently, was a standup guy. Give me Bob Huggins every time by comparison. The players have every right to transfer. It's the thing to do these days, it seems.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Carvers, do you not think that there is a bit of reaping what they sowed when Tech poached a coach that had been at another job for less than 3 weeks and then he does them dirty after giving them unprecedented success? That is why I have difficulty feeling sorry for Tech.

Reactions: Frak

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My consternation is with Beard, who I thought, wrongly evidently, was a standup guy. Give me Bob Huggins every time by comparison. The players have every right to transfer. It's the thing to do these days, it seems.
Leaving a team you agreed to coach after less than 3 weeks = stand up guy?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Carvers, do you not think that there is a bit of reaping what they sowed when Tech poached a coach that had been at another job for less than 3 weeks and then he does them dirty after giving them unprecedented success? That is why I have difficulty feeling sorry for Tech.
Yeah, the sympathetic figures in college athletics are few and far between.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and surly

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I don’t appreciate the name you used for them.

Don’t feel too bad for Texas Tech. They had a few great years. I think the players should be as free to leave as the coaches who recruited them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That never bothered me. Coaches are professionals with millions at play.
A true professional honors his word. It bothered me and should have signaled to Tech what they were getting. I kind of think of it like when a guy who was the other man for some woman and ends up ruining the marriage and shacking up with or marrying her. Down the road when she is unfaithful or leaves him for someone else it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Leaving after a season even with a 5 year contract is one thing. Leaving a couple of days after signing an initial 5 year deal is another.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

That's your fault for thinking that. Just look at the guy you can tell he's a sleezeball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don’t appreciate the name you used for them.

Don’t feel too bad for Texas Tech. They had a few great years. I think the players should be as free to leave as the coaches who recruited them.
Fair enough, I won't use it. I always thought it came from the weird practice of throwing tortillas at sporting events. But if you know of a more sinister origin of the term I would be glad to hear it. If the tortilla throwing is the only connection I think they have earned the moniker.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A true professional honors his word. It bothered me and should have signaled to Tech what they were getting. I kind of think of it like when a guy who was the other man for some woman and ends up ruining the marriage and shacking up with or marrying her. Down the road when she is unfaithful or leaves him for someone else it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Leaving after a season even with a 5 year contract is one thing. Leaving a couple of days after signing an initial 5 year deal is another.
I think it's completely wrong to make a comparison to marriage. Fans may think of their relationship to their school being like a marriage, but I would venture that very few coaches share that sentiment, as well as more and more players. It's a business relationship. I can love my job. I can work my ass off and be loyal to my company, but it's a business relationship at the end of the day, and if either party feels that it's more than that, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.