Volvo

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone have some first hand experience with Volvo? I’m looking at pulling the trigger on an S90 to drive back and forth to work. It would be an alternative family car (my wife’s traverse serves that purpose first). I’ve always liked the style of Volvo but you just don’t see them anywhere.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Welcome to the family!

My 2008 S60 got me hooked, and we now have a 2018 XC60 as well. Obviously they’ve been known for decades for their safety ratings, but it’s my humble opinion Volvo’s are the most fun to drive from a design and user experience viewpoint. I’d recommend them all day.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Nice looking vehicle but reliability is not great.

I guess I’ve seen they’re kind of middle of the road for reliability with that year and size. Better and anything Lexus/Infinity/Benz etc but less than a 5 series or genesis.

I guess I’m kinda sceptic of companies paying for their rating though.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Safety wise are great, reliability wise anymore.. hopefully your leasing.

Not leasing, that wouldn’t be the CF way. Buying certified used and the 5 year/unlimited mile warranty would get me to about 100k miles with the miles I put on.

Last edited:

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
As my bro in law says about Volvos, they're great, when they're running.
Got a friend who has been a Volvo nut for 30+ years finally give up on them about 5 years ago. He did almost all the maintenance on them. Said the cost and frequency of repair was getting too high. He still has a couple of older ones that he drives to rallies

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Got a friend who has been a Volvo nut for 30+ years finally give up on them about 5 years ago. He did almost all the maintenance on them. Said the cost and frequency of repair was getting too high. He still has a couple of older ones that he drives to rallies

I was considering a Range Rover Evoque for wifey and same bro in law, who knows his car shite, said the same thing about Range Rovers... they're great, when they run. Opted for a fairly pimped out Toyota RAV4 instead and have been happy.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Not leasing, that wouldn’t be the CF way. Buying certified used and the 5 year/unlimited mile warranty would get me to about 100k miles with the miles I put on. Putting like 2/3 down so offloading it wouldn’t be a huge issue if it came down to it. I am picking up a car payment though compared to my absolute piece of **** Buick LaCrosse which I’ve owed nothing on.

Kind of curious as to your Lacrosse comments......what year and what issues have you had? I have a low mileage ‘13 (grandma’s car) and I am looking at putting some serious miles on it in the next year (44k) and would like to know what may be coming down the road.....pun intended.

TIA

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We love our XC90, 2020.

smart and safe car. Purchased for safe commuting with usually hauling teenagers.

Reactions: Mr Janny

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Volvo is one of those brands you probably only want to drive under warranty. Not as bad as something like BMW or Land/Range Rover, but still makes the list.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I hate that people lump all models of a brand together. Yes, 40 years ago you could say all Yugo's are junk but that has mostly changed. Some of the least reliable brands as a whole, still have certain models that are reliable and the most reliable brands as a whole, still have certain models that are unreliable. Even someone like Jeep, who overall is bad, makes a couple of models that are somewhat decent.

Also, everyone rates reliability differently. Some studies will put equal weight to cars with transmission issues as those that have bad Bluetooth.

Also, what's been reliable in the past doesn't mean the new model will retain that reliability. Of course a 2021 Toyota 4Runner is going to be reliable, you're basically driving an SUV that hasn't changed in a decade. Does that mean the 4Runner is the best in the class, for 95% of the public, the answer would be no. Give it 2-3 years after a remodel and you'll almost always come out ahead. Reliability is important but it's not everything, especially in today's world where most everything out there is pretty good and so many share components. Think ZF8 Transmission, which I think I have had in everything from a BMW 2 series coupe to a Dodge pickup.

A big question mark with Volvo is what it's going to be like to own a gas model from a carmaker that has pretty much said that every redesign after 2025 is going to be electric only. There are similar questions with other auto makers but Volvo is ahead of most of the others.

As far as the S90, I was given one as a loaner about 5 years ago and I hated everything about it. It's probably been redesigned and a lot better. More recently, I drove the XC90 and it was nice. The one big thing you're doing right is looking at an uncommon large luxury car. These are usually lease returns, well taken care of, long warranties, and can be had at bargain basement prices. I did this in 2013 with an CPO Infiniti M56. A car with an $72k sticker, less than 30k miles, and sold to me CPO'd for less than $36k. When I compared it to new 2013 models for $36k, it was almost laughable.