Old Mediocre Has-Been Desperate To Appear Relevant; aka JBo To Return

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But isn't the negotiation in the recruitment? I like the idea that they get the ability to be able to host camp or sign a ball for some cash. I just see that this would open the door from the rich (schools) getting richer...
Recruitment is only negotiation if the offers are different. They're not. That's the crux of one of the main arguments against the NCAA. The value of a scholarship is artificially capped. If that that kind of setup existed anywhereelse, it would be a clear anti trust violation. Like if all of the Healthcare facilities got together and said that all new doctors would be compensated exactly the same amount with same benefits. It's not really negotiating, because you can't get a better deal.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
So apparently JBo is willing to come back for his 13th year, but only if they pass legislation to allow him to profit off his NIL:

View attachment 83495

So much to unpack here. Is there much of a desire to have him back? Plus, what exactly is Jordan Bohannon's NIL worth? Can't be more than what he'd make in his future career, be it basketball, coaching or otherwise, right?
Iowa wants the team distraction back? Interesting...

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Because Harry Dealershipowner isn't offering $50,000 to some music major to give trumpet lessons to his 5 y/o son.
Not the point. Not every football player will have the same opportunity to make money off of their NIL either. That doesn't mean that the ones that can should be restricted.

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
We all know he’s using this as a threat, it won’t pass, and he will come out 2 hours later saying he spoke to God and his family and decided he should come back for another year to fight the system, right?

Yes, a total bluff. One of those guys when he's told "it might be better off if you didn't come back and play," is the response he wasn't expecting, and changes his tune.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Not the point. Not every football player will have the same opportunity to make money off of their NIL either. That doesn't mean that the ones that can should be restricted.

I don’t disagree with you but wonder how in that system we stop the ultra wealthy donors from simply buying the best recruits? T Boone pays some top QB $1M to sign autographs at a company outing for example.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don’t disagree with you but wonder how in that system we stop the ultra wealthy donors from simply buying the best recruits? T Boone pays some top QB $1M to sign autographs at a company outing for example.
I think that's pretty much what we have right now. Look at the top recruiting classes every year. There's a heck of a lot of consistency, there. College football is already absolutely filthy. I don't think there's any changing that. There's too much money involved. So if it's going to be filthy, let the players get their piece if they can.

Reactions: baagoe

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
What degree did he get when a podcast and NIL money on a 12 win iowa team will be more than job earnings ?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm not advocating for anything other than NIL rights. Let a player make money off of their name if they can. That's pure capitalism and it doesn't cost the schools any extra than they're currently paying. If Jorbo can get a dollar for putting his name on an advertisement for Rex's Auto Detailing and Shoe Repair, then more power to him. Any other student is allowed to do the same if they are able. I don't see why athletes should be any different.

I think that's the best path, I just think it's ripe for a huge imbalance. There's nothing from stopping Texas boosters from paying guys 100K a year to attend there while a school like ISU would suffer greatly. Today we at least have a chance at good recruits because there isn't a financial incentive against us. We would absolutely suffer on the recruiting side for Top 300 guys.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm not saying they don't deserve it, they probably do. But I have a hard time believing you can't see a whole slew of ramifications resulting from opening up recruiting to the highest bidders. T Boone will be rolling over in his grave over what he could've done for OSU.
Edit: I see Farmin beat me to it. Great minds and all that.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think that's pretty much what we have right now. Look at the top recruiting classes every year. There's a heck of a lot of consistency, there.

Agree with that too, I just think it gets a lot worse once it’s legal and everything can be our in the open. Immediately eligible transfers will just bid themselves out to whichever wealthy donor agrees to pay them the most for their “NIL”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What does Bohannon have to be proud of?

*missed* a free throw to still get the record but not beat the record.

Wouldn't someone just roll the ball down the lane or something if they really just wanted to make sure they missed?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
You know aside from the entire PAC-12 and schools like Northwestern a few years ago. But yeah he’s the trailblazer. This stuff has been being talked about for years before he got into the fold. He’s just keeping things going but many before him did the real dirty work.

Ed Obannon? Nope. Jordan Bohannon. Duh. Just like Iowa invented the color black and solved racism.

Reactions: Acylum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think that's pretty much what we have right now. Look at the top recruiting classes every year. There's a heck of a lot of consistency, there. College football is already absolutely filthy. I don't think there's any changing that. There's too much money involved. So if it's going to be filthy, let the players get their piece if they can.

Do we at some point see more tiers/divisions?

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Agree with that too, I just think it gets a lot worse once it’s legal and everything can be our in the open. Immediately eligible transfers will just bid themselves out to whichever wealthy donor agrees to pay them the most for their “NIL”

I'm contemplating starting an eBay for college athletes so at least they can leave reviews of their experience after they cash the checks, lol.

I completely understand the freedom to make money and it's an eventuality, I just think the ramifications are going to be a lot more painful for schools like ISU in quick order. When you move from a few guys handing out duffel bags of cash in the dark to there being an open market bidding war for players, we go from having our natural disadvantages to having about 100x worse of a disadvantage.

I understand why people support this, I just think it's going to have immensely big and negative ramifications for the ISUs of the world.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Because Harry Dealershipowner isn't offering $50,000 to some music major to give trumpet lessons to his 5 y/o son.

Exactly. I bet there is a fan or two in SEC land who will pay a couple hundred K for a car commercial. Or a "camp".