Report: T.J. Otzelberger headed for Iowa State

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Well if is Otz, I'll cheer like hell for him. I just hope he puts together a great staff and hits the ground running on the recruiting trail ASAP. Step 1 is keeping Hunter committed.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Now make sure to stretch your butts, because the amount of smoke the CF staff will blow up our ***** is going to be off the charts!

This will be us:

aeac2c10cb329870e04c5dd5273a9e35.gif

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
We’re hiring a coach with a losing record this season and it is apparently because he is besties with our AD, who hasn’t bothered to conduct a search. Some of us not comfortable with good old boy cronyism
I mean, not even bothering to interview other candidates could be considered dereliction of duty. Do your ****ing job, JP!

I REALLY, REALLY hope the rumors end up not being true.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I mean, not even bothering to interview other candidates could be considered dereliction of duty. Do your ****ing job, JP!

I REALLY, REALLY hope the rumors end up not being true.

I suppose he may have had time to interview the Clone cone guy and decided TJ was better than him.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: aauummm and GTO

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Now make sure to stretch your butts, because the amount of smoke the CF staff will blow up our ***** is going to be off the charts!

This will be us:

aeac2c10cb329870e04c5dd5273a9e35.gif

I will say that until this week, they did a much better job not telling us how great TJ would be.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
No one hates TJ.

Questioning the wisdom of rushing to hire someone literally no other P5 program would be interested in isnt "hate"

If the reports are true, I hope like hell he can turn this around.
Fair enough. Hate might be a little strong. As you state, if this is true.

If he can turn this around, I think we may avoid the coaching carousel for quite some time.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
No. No other like position in the country would hand a multi million dollar a year job to someone without a search and interview process of multiple candidates. Assistant middle school principal jobs are more rigorously considered if this timeline is true

I haven't read the posts between my post and this one so excuse me if this has been previously discussed.

I think JP has had multiple discussions with Prohm and agents for other coaches. JP may have had three to four possible options depending how the end of the season worked out. Prohm was probably aware that these options were being assembled. Before Prohm's last game was completed, some options may have already been discarded and all JP had to do was to settle a few final things a little further. For example, if Otz was willing to work within the limits of a compensation package that we could handle but the agents for the other coaches were not, then it's a quick decision. However, if an agent thought their coach might still be interested, then there would have be an interview with the actual coach.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Otz had something in his contract that reduced his buy-out for Iowa State. Finally, I personally think that Allison has a real affinity for her alma mater and that helped a lot.

In conclusion I don't think JP waited for Monday night to start looking. I think he was very close to the possible end(s) by that time and I think he got the overall best deal he could possibly get when trying to balance all the factors.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Using 2 years at any program as a data point is as inconclusive as you can get. I wouldn't be surprised if year 2 is worse than year 1 at Iowa State too. It is years 4+ that I am concerned about.

Every coach that has been successful at Iowa State has done so relatively quickly.

Floyd, Eustachy, Wayne, Fred, and Prohm all made the NCAA’s in year 2. If we are more than 2 years away that’s 4 years in a row of ineptitude and will utterly bury this program. My opinion obviously.

This season has sapped my fandom unlike anything in my life. The idea we shouldn’t be concerned until year 4 means this program has truly cratered.