Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yep. We lost out on Rashad Vaughn. That was when TJ was an Assistant at Washington. Who knows whether TJ could have reeled him in for Fred if he was still at Iowa State.
I’m not sure there was much that could’ve been done on the up and up to get Vaughn. Sorry but when your rationale is wanting to play an uptempo style and choose a 60 ppg UNLV team over Hoiball in its prime I’m calling BS.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
A team of mostly iowa or entirely iowa kids would get run out of the gym every night in the big 12. There's like 2 useful players a year in Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.
What's your opinion on McDermott?

Jul 26, 2020
A team of mostly Iowa or entirely Iowa kids would get run out of the gym every night in the big 12. There's like 2 useful players a year in Iowa.
I do agree that Big 12 basketball is certainly more athletic and faster than the Big 10 and Missouri Valley (duh). Top to bottom, I believe it is often THE most athletic basketball conference. I am not arguing for Iowa's roster or UNI's roster. However, I think are some kids from each of those rosters who could have contributed to our program. Fred's method of recruiting, the type of players he had, and his style of basketball was perfect for the Big 12. Not all coaches can recruit the right players for the Big 12. Certainly, McDermott struggled. I just don't think Fred is coming back. I hope I'm wrong. OK Rustshack, I'm sorry. Your snarky intro pissed me off. For a sec, I thought I was on WRNL.

Jul 26, 2020
I do agree that Big 12 basketball is certainly more athletic and faster than the Big 10 and Missouri Valley (duh). Top to bottom, I believe it is often THE most athletic basketball conference. I am not arguing for Iowa's roster or UNI's roster. However, I think are some kids from each of those rosters who could have contributed to our program. Fred's method of recruiting, the type of players he had, and his style of basketball was perfect for the Big 12. Not all coaches can recruit the right players for the Big 12. Certainly, McDermott struggled. I just don't think Fred is coming back. I hope I'm wrong. OK Rustshack, I'm sorry. Your snarky intro pissed me off. For a sec, I thought I was on WRNL.
Perhaps only 2 high impact major conference players. There are 5-7 players a year that can contribute.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It took Fran McCaffrey 11 years to have a team like this and if it wasn’t for a player that isn’t even from Iowa, then they would be on the 8/9 line. I’m not going to sit here and say you can’t build a team with talent from Iowa, but let’s not make it the #1 request in the next coach.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
So I said in an earlier post that I think TJ could work out well here if he brought in an X's and O's guy like Lutz. While Lutz probably wont leave Fred, could Greg Lansing be that guy? Was a solid head coach at Indiana State for a number of years; kind of dumb of them to fire him. He's also an Iowa native (think he was on Alfords staff at Iowa).

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
I've been watching this thread for weeks and just want to add my two cents. I don't think it's going to be Freddie; you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. I like both DeVries and Ben Jacobson. Why? Both love the state and could recruit top Iowa talent. Don't underestimate the cohesive value of recruiting Iowa talent. Our top AAU programs do VERY WELL in national tournaments. Check out the rosters at UNI and Iowa. LOADED with Iowa talent. Of course, you won't win national championships with only Iowa kids, BUT you will have solid team cores with young men who LOVE their state and school and will STAY FOUR YEARS. Say what you will about Fran, he recruits and plays Iowa talent. Jacobson as well. UNI was down this year but Jacobson's run there has been excellent. `Iowa high school basketball is better than many realize. Year in and year out, ISU has failed in recruiting the top Iowa talent. I believe both the aforementioned coaches would succeed in Ames. After those two, I like Bryce Drew. Yes, he failed at Vanderbilt, but he is a bright ambitious basketball lifer.
Last time we went with a mid-major coach from the state, it did not work out well. We won’t be doing that again any time soon. I am hearing that we may be down to two candidates but could be a smokescreen. JP is already holed up with the selection committee so who know when things will start to break.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
Last time we went with a mid-major coach from the state, it did not work out well. We won’t be doing that again any time soon. I am hearing that we may be down to two candidates but could be a smokescreen. JP is already holed up with the selection committee so who know when things will start to break.

Maybe Prohm will announce his resignation in the post game conference

Reactions: WhoISthis

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I understand the perception issue, but if he makes the effort and that's who he settles on, I'd rather him move as quick as possible rather than drag things out for appearance purposes. We're going to have turnover on the roster regardless and this is going to be a bonkers transfer season. Our only hope of speeding up the huge rebuild process is by getting a few studs via transfer, and the more time the new guy has, the better.

I would rather make a good long term hire andget the right guy than settling for TJ just so we can get a guy to scoop up transfers for this year

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron