State of the Program

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
There is plenty to nit pick about after leaving some points on the table at the Big XIIs last weekend. However, regardless of how things turn out in StL next week, there are a lot of big picture things to feel good about with the wrestling program.
- Dresser was the right guy for this rebuilding job
- Dresser (turned 58 last Nov) has time left in his career to keep building momentum... if he wants
- When the time is right there is a clear succession plan in place with Metcalf. Will be interesting to see if/how Gadson fits into the plan as I would think this is his last Olympic cycle.
- We finally have some quality depth. Most teams not Iowa/PSU/OSU would have taken a big hit when a AA contender like Gomez has to step away from the sport. Overall what Redding has done this yr stepping in for Gomez as a true frosh. is remarkable. We are also seeing how Younger pushing Coleman everyday is paying off. A lot of other examples.
- Some great seeds have been planted. Imagine what things will look like in another 3 yrs when Carr is a senior with Redding/Terukina/Robinson/etc have more time to develop.
- Recruiting... we have the guys in the pipeline (including the HS LOIs) that will eventually get us into the #3-5 team rankings. Need a few more blue chippers to make the next jump for NC contention.
- The Cyclone Wrestling Club has been totally reinvigorated. Having a formidable RTC is absolutely a necessity to have a D1 program that can compete is the elite programs.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Big 12 finishes by comparison to seed.

125 seeded 7, placed 6
133 seeded 7, placed 3
141 seeded 1, placed 2
149 seeded 5, placed 4
157 seeded 1, placed 1
165 seeded 5, no placement
174 no seed, no placement
184 seeded 5, placed 5
197 seeded 6, placed 4
hwt seeded 1, placed 1

We probably have 7 going to NCAAs, and possibly 8.
It seems we've improved each year during the Dresser era and I think we are headed in the right direction.

Final Team Standings
1. Oklahoma - 124 points
1. Oklahoma State - 124 points
3. Iowa State - 117.5 points
4. Wyoming - 105.5 points
5. Northern Iowa - 79.0 points
6. North Dakota State - 78.0 points
7. Northern Colorado - 70.5 points
8. South Dakota State - 67.5 points
9. West Virginia - 57.0 points
10. Utah Valley - 55.0 points
11. Air Force - 32.5 point
12. Fresno State - 31.0 points

Intermat National Tournament Rankings prior to last weekend tourneys:
Okla State 4
Iowa State 9
Utah Valley 16
Northern Iowa 22
Wyoming 23
Oklahoma 25

Last edited:

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I will say that both 65 & 74 didn't do enough at the tourney to earn a locked spot.

However @ 165 I was impressed with what I saw out of Judge towards the end of the year. He seamed to improve and stayed aggressive. You never know who will take a big jump next year and I feel better about that weight with Judge & a healthy Schumacher & maybe a newcomer fighting for the spot. After watching Deaken (Big 10's) and Carr I'd be surprised if Carr bumps up.

On the flip side I was a bit more disappointed in 174, probably because my expectations were so high. I hope Broderson can also improve a ton.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Taking 7 and possibly 8 in a year when Big12 NQr spots get screwed, that’s a great year. Disappointing our guys at 165 and 174 didn’t perform this tournament, but those things happen. Things are moving in the right direction.
The poor allocation decisions should result on some benefit to the conference on the other end. I think we get eight.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
I will say that both 65 & 74 didn't do enough at the tourney to earn a locked spot.

However @ 165 I was impressed with what I saw out of Judge towards the end of the year. He seamed to improve and stayed aggressive. You never know who will take a big jump next year and I feel better about that weight with Judge & a healthy Schumacher & maybe a newcomer fighting for the spot. After watching Deaken (Big 10's) and Carr I'd be surprised if Carr bumps up.

On the flip side I was a bit more disappointed in 174, probably because my expectations were so high. I hope Broderson can also improve a ton.
I was impressed with Judge. True the results weren’t there this weekend, but he looked good in his matches. Give him an off-season and let’s reassess.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
With Fresno State dropping their program, could Steiner come to ISU as an assistant? Help recruit west coast, upper Midwest.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Explain for a wrestling newbie like me why having a good RTC is great for program success
Because you don’t get the blue chip, top guys without it. The top guys have world and Olympic dreams and goals and you have to sell them on a solid RTC post-grad. Wrestling doesn’t have the NBA or NFL, so their money now comes from the RTC funding and improving enough to cash in on wrestling tournaments that now have pay-outs.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
It is soooo difficult to crack the top 3-5 as someone mentioned. Feels aspirational more than anything. However, this program has improved tremendously. There's more work to be done but we are respectable again and that's good enough for me, especially right now.

As some may remember, I was not a huge fan of KJ. It was plainly obvious he was running the program into the ground. KD has been delivering as promised, IMHO. I'm a big fan.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Because you don’t get the blue chip, top guys without it. The top guys have world and Olympic dreams and goals and you have to sell them on a solid RTC post-grad. Wrestling doesn’t have the NBA or NFL, so their money now comes from the RTC funding and improving enough to cash in on wrestling tournaments that now have pay-outs.
I’d like to piggyback on your comments...

A Regional Training Center (RTC) would be akin to having the Kansas City Chiefs training with Matt Campbell’s squad. Or having Lebron James run with Prohm’s team during basketball practice - both working on his game as well as passing along his knowledge to current college players. RTCs are designed to help a post-college wrestler train and compete in the senior divisions of Olympic and World champion wrestling. The NCAA allows RTCs to have an association with a college program which means top-level senior wrestlers can train with current college wrestlers. UofIowa has been very successful in leveraging their RTC to bring top recruits in, selling the fact that they will train with world and Olympic champions. Penn State also has an incredible RTC filled with some of the best senior wrestlers in the world. In addition to the training and use of facilities, the RTC can provide financial support for the post-college athletes.

As the Cyclone-RTC has grown, they’ve been able to offer housing along with stipends to draw top athletes in. As the quality of wrestlers in the RTC improves, it should help attract top HS recruits to come wrestle for ISU - both for the exposure to senior level wrestlers and for the opportunity to continue training after college if they want to pursue world and Olympic dreams.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
1) I love KD. Great hire. He’s building the program from a cultural standpoint. Our guys compete; starters, backups doesn’t matter. Couldn’t say that 5 years ago.
2) ISU success shouldn’t be gauged on NQs. We need point scores, AAs, NCs. That said, we have to start somewhere but tbh I don’t care how many NQs we get out of a weak Big 12. I want guys that compete for the podium. Period.
3) Anyone else watch the Big 10s? We have got a loooong way to go. That was same damn good wrestling. 141 for example was a meat grinder. HWT is ridiculously deep. ISU may have gotten one in the finals in the Big 10. We would have finished what? 6-7? Not a knock on our rebuild but more of a goal of where we need be in the future.