Viewing Habits Suggests Soccer's Rise. Baseball's Decline.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Baseball has so many issues and it's a shame.

- Don't market their stars well (one of them, Trout, doesn't like the spotlight)
- Game pace
- The massive rift between owners and MLBPA (exhibit A being the pissing match last summer that almost cost them that whole year)
- The Yankees are not good for baseball. Change my mind
- Cheating is often a bigger headline grabber than a great team/game/etc.
- Season length
- The whole revamping of the minors
- and on and on and on....
The Yankees haven't been relevant for the most part since The Boss died.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Baseball is never going to be as "star-driven" in the moment as it is in hindsight.

Great as Babe Ruth and Ted Williams were, they only get so many balls hit to them in the field and they can only take at most 1/9th of the bats for their teams. Pitchers aren't going to pitch more than 20% (and more like 10% or 15%) of the innings their team has in a given season. Baseball has this absolutely weird combination of being a stunningly individual sport in the plays made but an incredible team sport regarding the outcome of games.

Football and basketball are the opposite -- they are incredibly biased towards stars given the structure of the game. LeBron can touch the ball on every possession, and Brady or Mahomes take every snap.

The heroic individualism of baseball lore is fun, but it is not reflective of the day-to-day nature of the sport.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Baseball is never going to be as "star-driven" in the moment as it is in hindsight.

Great as Babe Ruth and Ted Williams were, they only get so many balls hit to them in the field and they can only take at most 1/9th of the bats for their teams. Pitchers aren't going to pitch more than 20% (and more like 10% or 15%) of the innings their team has in a given season. Baseball has this absolutely weird combination of being a stunningly individual sport in the plays made but an incredible team sport regarding the outcome of games.

Football and basketball are the opposite -- they are incredibly biased towards stars given the structure of the game. LeBron can touch the ball on every possession, and Brady or Mahomes take every snap.

The heroic individualism of baseball lore is fun, but it is not reflective of the day-to-day nature of the sport.
That's the problem. You ask a kid today who their favorite baseball player is, the majority won't have any idea. You ask who their favorite football player is, they will almost assuredly have one. Say what you want but that's how you grow a sport, you start them young. To do that, you market your stars and baseball does a piss poor job of it. Mike Trout is one the greatest baseball talents in the last 50 years and a VAST majority of kids don't have a damn clue who he even is. I get he plays on a bad team but he's in still in a major market. That's a problem. A big problem.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
One of the biggest problems with soccer in the past is America's best athletes very rarely play it growing up. I think that is starting to change. I mean could you imagine Labron playing goalie in soccer? Some of the best running backs in college and wide recievers growing up playing it? US would become pretty dominate and more people would want to watch. Right now the US sucks and Americans hate sucking at a sport.

I've talked to some soccer people, and they've told me athleticism isn't what holds the U.S. national team or American players trying to make it in Europe back. If anything, in most international tournaments, the Americans are going to be some of the fastest, strongest, and most athletic squads on the pitch.

The issue is skill and experience. Europe, Latin American countries, and the rest of the world just have more kids getting more touches from an earlier age, which turns into a cumulative benefit by the time they are young adults and ready to start playing competitively. It's a "cultural" thing we simply lack.

Plus, they told me that bringing in the elite athletes from more traditionally American sports (football, basketball, etc.) wouldn't really help. Soccer is about skill but it's also a form of distance running, and the height, strength, and bulk you need to play "American" sports can be more of a hindrance there than help.

There's a reason Lionel Messi is 5'7" and 160 pounds. He (and the other players of the same slight build as him) are obviously in great shape and incredibly strong for their size, but they are still small because that is the most efficient way to play 90 minutes. Extra height and bulk would just drag you down.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I always find it funny when someone says "what's so exciting about watching a soccer game that ends 1-0," while at the same time, they'd gladly watch a 6 hour baseball game that is 0-0 going into the 15th inning.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I've talked to some soccer people, and they've told me athleticism isn't what holds the U.S. national team or American players trying to make it in Europe back. If anything, in most international tournaments, the Americans are going to be some of the fastest, strongest, and most athletic squads on the pitch.

The issue is skill and experience. Europe, Latin American countries, and the rest of the world just have more kids getting more touches from an earlier age, which turns into a cumulative benefit by the time they are young adults and ready to start playing competitively. It's a "cultural" thing we simply lack.

Plus, they told me that bringing in the elite athletes from more traditionally American sports (football, basketball, etc.) wouldn't really help. Soccer is about skill but it's also a form of distance running, and the height, strength, and bulk you need to play "American" sports can be more of a hindrance there than help.

There's a reason Lionel Messi is 5'7" and 160 pounds. He (and the other players of the same slight build as him) are obviously in great shape and incredibly strong for their size, but they are still small because that is the most efficient way to play 90 minutes. Extra height and bulk would just drag you down.
Another thing that other countries have are academies directly apart of the largest clubs in the world. For example, a 6 year old can be scouted by a club like Real Madrid and signed into playing for their academy, where they are coached by some of the best coaches out there in hopes that one day, that kid will be good enough to play for the senior team when they're around 18. You don't see that in America to that extent.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
The solution for baseball is simple for me. Once the batter enters the batter's box, he can't leave unless he is injured. No more taking 30 seconds to adjust your gloves and look for a sign. Knowing when to bunt, etc should be done in practice and meetings, not in-game. Add a pitch clock and the game will speed up immensely. You could also make a rule making too many foul balls an out. There are a ton of things they could do, but they hold tight to tradition a little too much.

Reactions: clonehome

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Soccer probably is the most egaliter sports that youths can play: there is a place for everyone: you don’t have to be rich (hockey equipment), tall (basketball), big (football) - there is a place for everyone: you can be a quick winger, slow but cerebral defender or controlling midfielder, etc. you only need shoes and probably shin guard to start

This is true for most of the world but not in the US. Poor kids in the US aren't playing soccer. It is a suburban sport and like baseball, volleyball, basketball, parents needs to fork out thousands of dollars for traveling teams. It is so damn stupid.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
MLB blackout rules are a huge part of the problem, IMO. I pay for MLB.tv because I cheer for a team that is not one of the six we're "local" to. However, whenever my team plays one of those teams, I am blacked out, so I don't get to see those games. I would happily pay more to see every single game. MLB could make more money if they'd lift the blackout restrictions.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Another sport that I think is just simmering below the surface but we don't see much of in the midwest is Lacrosse. I was listening to a podcast a couple months back where they were talking to a guy at New Balance and apparently lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the county in terms of participation for kids. The bulk of that growth is on the coasts though.
The Ice Hockey shop here in Des Moines has 1/4 of their store dedicated to lacrosse gear. My wife has family in the Kansas City-area that play lacrosse at their high school - I think it's still a club level.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Too many games.
Too many innings.
Too slow.
Too many pitchers.

I am primed to be a fan. It's in our blood. But I just stopped caring. And when I tell people this they tell me "You don't understand the game." Okay? Guess what? My kids will not buy the product and you'll slowly lose money over time. But go ahead and don't adapt to the marketplace and then blame the marketplace.
Legitimate gripes.

My chief complaints would be:
  • Emphasis on K's and home runs, hence, roided up guys who can't play fundamental defense or small ball.
  • The season is too long. 150 game seasons that end before snowfall would benefit players AND fans.
  • Lack of day baseball. Baseball, especially postseason, needs sunshine. March Madness during business hours works. So should baseball.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
From my own experience, there needs to be a happy medium. We've just done little league, but 2 years ago my oldest had a good time on a pretty good team in his first year of kid pitch. He got on the mound a bit and enjoyed himself but is a middling player. He cares much more about other sports.

Last year, no season due to COVID. Before everything got cancelled though, I was talking to a bunch of guys running the league at the try outs and they said literally every all star joined U Trip or other leagues. The number of kids out at his age went from 200 to 100. This was at the 9 year old level. I was looking forward to the next season so pitching could improve and kids would have to be more active at the plate. Basically every kid who could throw strikes was gone. We're doing it again this year, but quite frankly I'm worried that 2 years later the pitching will still suck and the games will be boring for the kids.

There are a lot of people like myself that grew up playing little league and enjoyed the experience a lot, but have no desire to spend every weekend day at the diamond or spending thousands of dollars and having young kids play 50 games in a season. I'm just not sure there is a spot for people like me though in communities around the metro. Let me say finally my son loves soccer, it's his favorite sport, and that the Ankeny Little League is a phenomenal organization and they do a great job running it.

Same boat here. My son loves soccer and it's by far his best sport. He's 10 so I don't want to make him pick... West Des Moines youth baseball blows. We did one year in the Racoon Valley LL and it was awful. The Open Baseball League through Sportsplex West is lucky to have two or three teams. That basically leaves the Styx league and closed teams. Youth sports are fu**ed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I grew up 2 miles from MN. Attended Lake Mills.
Pretty sure the first time I smoked pot was at an acreage somewhere around Lake Mills. Grew up atleast an hour from there though. That was a hell of night.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I always find it funny when someone says "what's so exciting about watching a soccer game that ends 1-0," while at the same time, they'd gladly watch a 6 hour baseball game that is 0-0 going into the 15th inning.

Let me start by saying I find baseball boring as hell. I like going to games a couple times a year, but would never watch more than a batter or two on TV.

I've said this before comparing soccer to other sports. It's not a knock on soccer, it's just the way it is. Since we are talking baseball vs. soccer, I"ll go that way this time. Every pitch can be a potential score in baseball. So yeah, it may take a bit of time to get that pitch thrown, but there is the anticipation there that something big could happen with it.

To the casual viewer, soccer has a lot of the time spent, seemingly not trying to score or even move the ball forward. It is definitely a more nuanced sport compared to most American professional level sports. That big play like a Home Run or bases clearing double, etc. really doesn't exist. From my experience, that's what matters to Americans.

I don't really watch either Baseball or Soccer, but I suppose if I was being forced to watch one full game, it probably would be soccer. Baseball just has way too much down time for me that has absolutely nothing to do with actually playing the game.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Same boat here. My son loves soccer and it's by far his best sport. He's 10 so I don't want to make him pick... West Des Moines youth baseball blows. We did one year in the Racoon Valley LL and it was awful. The Open Baseball League through Sportsplex West is lucky to have two or three teams. That basically leaves the Styx league and closed teams. Youth sports are fu**ed.
I went to Valley in the early 2000s and they would have +120 kids try out for the baseball teams. That would spark some attrition of JV or varsity bench players transferring to neighboring suburbs for playing time. I'm curious if that's still an issue given the decline in popularity and also how large Johnston, Waukee, Ankeny, etc are now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron