Viewing Habits Suggests Soccer's Rise. Baseball's Decline.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Another sport that I think is just simmering below the surface but we don't see much of in the midwest is Lacrosse. I was listening to a podcast a couple months back where they were talking to a guy at New Balance and apparently lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the county in terms of participation for kids. The bulk of that growth is on the coasts though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Another sport that I think is just simmering below the surface but we don't see much of in the midwest is Lacrosse. I was listening to a podcast a couple months back where they were talking to a guy at New Balance and apparently lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the county in terms of participation for kids. The bulk of that growth is on the coasts though.
I will watch that before soccer. Getting whacked with those sticks hurts.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think MLB has a huge problem on its hands. I'm a Cubs fan and I will try to tune in when they are on, but I have absolutely zero interest in watching any other team. It's just too damn boring, and they do such a poor job marketing their young stars. There's a concerted effort to keep the game bland and emotionless and it makes for a bad product.

Most soccer also isn't too high on my list, but I do enjoy a morning EPL game, and I really enjoy watching national team stuff. But I don't see myself tuning into a random weeknight MLS game anytime soon.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Baseball has been trending south for the last 2o years but what parents have done to youth baseball has really sped up the slide. We have taken the fun out of baseball and trained are kids that you are either really good or you can't play. So many kids are getting pushed out of baseball before their bodies even have a chance to to grow/mold to the game. It's actually really sad.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think MLB has a huge problem on its hands. I'm a Cubs fan and I will try to tune in when they are on, but I have absolutely zero interest in watching any other team. It's just too damn boring, and they do such a poor job marketing their young stars. There's a concerted effort to keep the game bland and emotionless and it makes for a bad product.

Most soccer also isn't too high on my list, but I do enjoy a morning EPL game, and I really enjoy watching national team stuff. But I don't see myself tuning into a random weeknight MLS game anytime soon.
MLB is comically bad when it comes to marketing and promotion. There are some great personalities playing but I can't think of a single one of them that you see on TV promoting something. Also don't get me started on their blackout rules. I can't even watch a spring training game on mlb network because of those rules.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
have watched a few lacross games and it is pretty interesting, and I wish we had that opportunity in HS. I think Ankeny has a club team now along with rugby.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Lacrosse is huge in Columbus. See as many lacrosse nets in yards and in parks as soccer goals.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Need to find a way to speed things up. Have a pitch clock or something. Pitch not thrown in X seconds (or a pick off throw) then it’s a ball. Not sure if that would work, but watching a guy walk around the mound and adjust himself twice, shake off 2 signs and finally start his wind up to just have the batter back out of the box bores me and puts me to sleep. If they are going to be long games,make it due to the long ball. Offense is exciting, nut scratching isn’t.

Reactions: wxman1 and legi

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
MLB is comically bad when it comes to marketing and promotion. There are some great personalities playing but I can't think of a single one of them that you see on TV promoting something. Also don't get me started on their blackout rules. I can't even watch a spring training game on mlb network because of those rules.

It's almost like the entire system is set up to prevent an enjoyable viewing experience.

It starts with the ridiculous service time/minor league path one has to go. Some of the best young players have to sit in the minor leagues for several years so teams can extend their use under their original deal. In every other sport part of the excitement is seeing how some of these young stars can come in play in a professional league, and while there's still some of that they are 22 years old by the time they get here.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Need to find a way to speed things up. Have a pitch clock or something. Pitch not thrown in X seconds (or a pick off throw) then it’s a ball. Not sure if that would work, but watching a guy walk around the mound and adjust himself twice, shake off 2 signs and finally start his wind up to just have the batter back out of the box bores me and puts me to sleep. If they are going to be long games,make it due to the long ball. Offense is exciting, nut scratching isn’t.

I'm not sure the best answer. Slow pitching is painful, but it's a tough line to toe as I can understand the need for a pitcher to regroup and plot out their next pitch.

Personally I think the games need to just be 6-7 innings, and I like what they've done with limiting pitching changes. That's a good start at least.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
One thing which didn’t help here in the last few years is that MLB designated IA as “local” to six(!) teams, so the blackouts have been crazy here and hard to keep engaged with MLB when they’re not on tv as much.

Not too many years ago one could always find a “local” MLB team on tv around here.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not sure the best answer. Slow pitching is painful, but it's a tough line to toe as I can understand the need for a pitcher to regroup and plot out their next pitch.

Personally I think the games need to just be 6-7 innings, and I like what they've done with limiting pitching changes. That's a good start at least.
I could get behind 7 inning games. That would help with pitchers also.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Baseball has so many issues and it's a shame.

- Don't market their stars well (one of them, Trout, doesn't like the spotlight)
- Game pace
- The massive rift between owners and MLBPA (exhibit A being the pissing match last summer that almost cost them that whole year)
- The Yankees are not good for baseball. Change my mind
- Cheating is often a bigger headline grabber than a great team/game/etc.
- Season length
- The whole revamping of the minors
- and on and on and on....

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Baseball has totally fallen off of the radar for me. I used to be a mini pack season ticket holder and always hit spring training

Now I never watch or listen. The game presentation has flaws. Ads make the game way too long and any game with a DH is an effort to watch.

I don't like the local teams so I just don't watch or listen. I used to really enjoy baseball on the radio. The game translates very well to that broadcast.

Now. Meh.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Soccer is becoming more popular because kids are playing it and adults can learn it and learn what its really all about. If you have never played or never watched, it's a terrible sport. However, I have a daughter that plays and I finally am starting understand the sport and it makes it more enjoyable. STill no football or basketball or baseball for me. However, I can now watch it and not be bored as hell. I think my next step is to follow a team.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Baseball has so many issues and it's a shame.

- Don't market their stars well (one of them, Trout, doesn't like the spotlight)
- Game pace
- The massive rift between owners and MLBPA (exhibit A being the pissing match last summer that almost cost them that whole year)
- The Yankees are not good for baseball. Change my mind
- Cheating is often a bigger headline grabber than a great team/game/etc.
- Season length
- The whole revamping of the minors
- and on and on and on....
Personally I think amateur baseball is more fun to watch that MLB. Maybe that's because of the parents getting into boxing matches in the parking lots though.