Jamie Pollard "State of the Union" Address for Dept.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I remember reading about the conceptual idea for the New RV lots. I believe they would be paved using a porous type construction to provide drainage and firmness for stability. I heard it could be possible to have a spot for the entire season and can leave your RV parked the entire season. And a permanent restroom building. Also some year round revenue possibilities.

I would guess cost for an RV parking pass would increase a bit for the new area. Definitely another revenue generator.

Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah I have heard talk that there is definitely a bit of a "tug-of-war" between the University & Athletic Dept. on who has to pay for those lots to be redone/repaved. And as you said if the Entertainment District is coming relatively soon probably doesn't make sense to fix those lots right now.

I'm just concerned they are going to lose a child one of these days in one of those potholes. :p

They could save money on paving and be honest at the same time by renaming the big parking area as "The Gravel Lots!"

Last edited:
Reactions: besserheimerphat

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I have friends near 30 who love to watch football but can't make games in-person enough to justify season tickets. Most make good to great money versus median Iowa incomes. How can I help sell them to donate? Do younger donors get anything if they can't buy tickets?

Since your friends “love to watch football” you can ask them how great is it averaging 8 wins/year for the past 4 years, instead of say 3 wins? How much would they give every year, as a show of appreciation for the happiness and continued enjoyment it has been bringing them? $100? 500? $1000?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Ticket increases are a must, and are still lower than many P5 schools, especially for a Top 10 FB team. I appreciate that JP asked that Cyclone Club and Season Ticket holders renew. However, that, along with the the price increases aren’t going to be enough. The number of donors needs to increase. Iowa State is last in donations in the B12, and most other P5 conferences, in donations.

I am shocked he didn’t call for non CC member and non ST holders to donate and buy now. I am encouraged to see a couple here say the will donate. I have lived out of state since graduating 20+ years ago. I have been a CC member since leaving Ames and joined the Grid Iron Club too. I had season tickets for the first few years after graduation, until kids came. Once they were a little older I bought mini packs for a few years and shared them with a old college roommate. The last few years I have had season tickets again. Kids are in sports, but other Cyclones use when I can’t, and I am usually paid for them.

My point, if you can, donate even if you are out of state and can’t attend. If you can only make a few games, buy in with family or friends. Figure out a way that works for your schedule and finances. The Cyclones, our team, needs everyone’s help and every bit matters.

Here is a screen shot from the Directors meeting video that someone shared here. I was surprised, given the number of ISU alumni and fans, how few Cyclone Club members there are; especially at the lowest levels. Let’s go Cyclones!

Non resident of Iowa for the past ~50 years. In the past ~20 years, I have enjoyed cheap, unprecedented televised access to Cyclone games.

Seems like there could be a CC membership that would be marketed/targeted toward a larger audience of persons who are Cyclones at heart, but (for whatever reasons) are not ticket holders or maybe not even game day watchers. IMO, currently, the CC membership is all about parking/being at the game.

Do I read this right that the vast majority of season ticket holders are NOT CC members? Can season ticket holders be made to be a member?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Non resident of Iowa for the past ~50 years. In the past ~20 years, I have enjoyed cheap, unprecedented televised access to Cyclone games.

Seems like there could be a CC membership that would be marketed/targeted toward a larger audience of persons who are Cyclones at heart, but (for whatever reasons) are not ticket holders or maybe not even game day watchers. IMO, currently, the CC membership is all about parking/being at the game.

Do I read this right that the vast majority of season ticket holders are NOT CC members? Can season ticket holders be made to be a member?
A lot of schools do require a donation to become a season ticket holder (or to be on the waiting list if games are always sold out), but that seems to be something that can only occur once every ticket is sold to every game for several years.

It has been consistently the policy of this athletic department to be able to offer tickets/season tickets to people of all ages and incomes. I personally wish the hillsides would go away, but as many have mentioned on this board, that area has been a gateway for many families to become long-term season ticket holders and donors.

My guess is that shortly (if FB continues to be successful), there will be higher donor expectations for certain sections of JTS.

kcbob79clone

I love that they are doing the RV park but they originally advertised it as “full hookups”. I get if they don’t want to run sewage but it’s disappointing that they aren’t doing water hookups anymore. I’m sure they are maximizing that $5 million gift and water hookups would have been too much which forced their hand

Dang, if I had won Powerball or Megamillions it would have been full hookups!

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have friends near 30 who love to watch football but can't make games in-person enough to justify season tickets. Most make good to great money versus median Iowa incomes. How can I help sell them to donate? Do younger donors get anything if they can't buy tickets?
Suggest setting up a group of friends that can share tickets. Figure out who gets what games or have a lottery to see who gets first, second, third choice etc. It's not that difficult to do.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

There are 6000 donors and I would say that many have 4 tickets for the game. That make 24k season tickets for donors. Even if you average 3 per ticket that would get you to 18k. I think after this next year that they will start pushing up required donor levels to hold seats. I like my seats and I’m one year will have one less kid in college and should be able to bump my donation up. Right now, handing ISU 45k a year for college kinda maxes me out for donations.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Suggest setting up a group of friends that can share tickets. Figure out who gets what games or have a lottery to see who gets first, second, third choice etc. It's not that difficult to do.
Even just buy tickets through a vivid seats or a scalper will help. As the stadium stays full, the demand will drive up the price of tickets and people won’t want to give up tickets in case they can’t get back to seats they like.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
There are 6000 donors and I would say that many have 4 tickets for the game. That make 24k season tickets for donors. Even if you average 3 per ticket that would get you to 18k. I think after this next year that they will start pushing up required donor levels to hold seats. I like my seats and I’m one year will have one less kid in college and should be able to bump my donation up. Right now, handing ISU 45k a year for college kinda maxes me out for donations.
As a freshman in 1964, my full year tuition was $345 and Helzer R&B was $1060. Had a full tuition scholarship.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
A lot of schools do require a donation to become a season ticket holder (or to be on the waiting list if games are always sold out), but that seems to be something that can only occur once every ticket is sold to every game for several years.

It has been consistently the policy of this athletic department to be able to offer tickets/season tickets to people of all ages and incomes. I personally wish the hillsides would go away, but as many have mentioned on this board, that area has been a gateway for many families to become long-term season ticket holders and donors.

My guess is that shortly (if FB continues to be successful), there will be higher donor expectations for certain sections of JTS.

Husband and I went to grad school at Notre Dame, and go to a game a year when there isn’t an ISU home game. They require a donation for alumni to even buy single game tickets through the university of $100. We put in money in both of our names so we can buy enough tickets to take our kids. They have a priority point system based on years and donations for when your account opens up to buy tickets. So between season ticket holders and people buying single tickets with more points than us, some games are pretty tough to get, such as USC or Clemson. Not as tough as we have gotten older and they expanded stadium.

A difference from what you are proposing is that the donation does not have to be directed at the athletic department. We always give ours to scholarship fund of our academic department.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I can assure you that Jamie has looked at that requirement of requiring a cyclone club donation to purchase season tickets. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't require at least $100 donation to the Cyclone Club to purchase tickets. If they don't, I'm sure it is coming.

It really is simple math. Either we get more cyclone club donations or the price of tickets will continue to increase. We need to get the people that give nothing to at least give $100 a year. Kind of embarrassing that this comment even has to be made. Actually, it is not embarrassing, it is shocking. This great fan base that is incredibly loyal needs to start writing checks.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I can assure you that Jamie has looked at that requirement of requiring a cyclone club donation to purchase season tickets. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't require at least $100 donation to the Cyclone Club to purchase tickets. If they don't, I'm sure it is coming.

It really is simple math. Either we get more cyclone club donations or the price of tickets will continue to increase. We need to get the people that give nothing to at least give $100 a year. Kind of embarrassing that this comment even has to be made. Actually, it is not embarrassing, it is shocking. This great fan base that is incredibly loyal needs to start writing checks.
I still think you need another tier that goes to zero. Maybe we can start requiring that to get season tickets. I think $100 is to high. It discourages small donors. I’d like to get them to donate a little before we worry about how much.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Pretty hard to go to a sit down and order restaurant with a wife and with a tip spend at minimum $50. Considering people that attend college games have disposable incomes that are discretionary, a required minimum donation of $100 in order to purchase season tickets should be a no-brainer. Just take your wife to a fast food drive thru a couple of times instead;)!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I still think you need another tier that goes to zero. Maybe we can start requiring that to get season tickets. I think $100 is to high. It discourages small donors. I’d like to get them to donate a little before we worry about how much.
A little high????

Are you being sarcastic or funny?

You can't be serious??

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Can I just offer to mow Campbells yard for a summer? Walk his dog? Water his flowers? Hell, I’ll trim the mans toenails for free if he agrees to stay.