Iowa Wind Power

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
If the County TIF ed the windmills you wont see the reduction for 20 years from implementation. tax increment financing. If they rebuilt roads they probably TIFed the windmills.
Our county tried, but protests stopped them in their tracks.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
OK, now that is impressive. But what the heck happened? It looked like an explosion, but I know it wasn't.

Not CGI. The blades failed to pitch back to reduce the speed and secondary breaking obviously malfunctioned also allowing it to overspeed. The blades can't take it and strike the tower at the weakest point possible, folding the tower over.

I think while I was working in the industry years ago it was in Washington state that 2 people died and one was just below the folding point on the ladder because they bypassed the turbine's emergency stopping procedures and it oversped and did the same.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
OK, now that is impressive. But what the heck happened? It looked like an explosion, but I know it wasn't.

Centripetal forces cause the blades to disintegrate. Usually means the brakes or something else failed to allow it to spin too fast.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think we would both agree this is complicated and there are several potential ways to slice it.

You could try to build it up through financial agreements, in the way you describe, but I am not sure that is really reflective of the reality the electron could come from anywhere at any given moment. That includes from other neighboring systems, too, especially PJM and SPP, given the interchange flows between the different regions.

The financial arrangements may say that Mid-American is generating for Mid-American first, yes, but the power is not a particular box with a tracking number on it. It all kind of ends up in the same bathtub.

I think my overall point that going (Iowa wind generation) / (Iowa load) = 40% is not really an accurate way to think of it stands, however. That is an impressive number, but it needs a high degree of tempering to the reality that Iowa does a lot of importing and exporting from neighboring states that are very fossil-heavy, like Illinois.

And like you said, until we get large-scale economical storage, it likely stays that way.

They said they are shutting down 42 other towers today. Yeah, can't wait until we see "clean power" blackouts just like California.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They said they are shutting down 42 other towers today. Yeah, can't wait until we see "clean power" blackouts just like California.

The Midwest has not been nearly as aggressive about renewable targets/shutting down fossil and nuclear.

California is really its own special situation compared to everybody else, even other ecotopias like WA and OR.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not CGI. The blades failed to pitch back to reduce the speed and secondary breaking obviously malfunctioned also allowing it to overspeed. The blades can't take it and strike the tower at the weakest point possible, folding the tower over.

I think while I was working in the industry years ago it was in Washington state that 2 people died and one was just below the folding point on the ladder because they bypassed the turbine's emergency stopping procedures and it oversped and did the same.

Interesting that the horses knew to GTF away!

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Biggest issue with these is absentee landowners who ok these wind projects. We had a big battle with our wind project as only 2 of the landowners that agreed to it live on the land where the project went. Then the board of supervisors re wrote the laws for set back distance from homes and roads to please the wind company. They do alot of back door politics on these projects.

The county supervisors play a huge role in local wind energy development / supervision. I know of a neighboring county that despite having several wind projects, raised their property taxes significantly because of the cost to repair local roads / bridges after the initial construction completion. Many county supervisors are not prepared / educated to undertake these projects and need guidance.

Similar is a large solar project being proposed in another neighboring county. Will be interested in their decision, as they balance landowner rights with community health and well being.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
You and I and everyone else are paying a fortune in taxes for those windmills.

Over $100 billion has already been spent on renewables subsidies.

Renewable energy resources—primarily wind and solar—have received subsidies through the tax code since 1979, most of which have occurred in the last decade. Through 2018, these subsidies amounted to more than $100 billion. This amount is far in excess of federal assistance received by other electricity sources. And for perspective, this exceeds the combined 2020 budgets for the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Energy, the Department of the Interior, and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Don't think you know how TIF works, its not money they give them but its future tax revenue that's not collected.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
The county supervisors play a huge role in local wind energy development / supervision. I know of a neighboring county that despite having several wind projects, raised their property taxes significantly because of the cost to repair local roads / bridges after the initial construction completion. Many county supervisors are not prepared / educated to undertake these projects and need guidance.

Similar is a large solar project being proposed in another neighboring county. Will be interested in their decision, as they balance landowner rights with community health and well being.

Iowa has horrible infrastructure and the further you get from urban areas the worse it can get. There is a lot of catching up the state needs to do and taxes are pretty much the way to do it. So these countries should've had higher taxes the whole time to pay for these things instead of getting hit hard in a couple of year period.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Great. And the Hog Building Owner must live next to the Hog Building. I like it.

Yes!! Exactly. That needs to be a law. Your house can't be more than a 1/4 mile from the windmills (at least a few of them) or pig barns. Like it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The Midwest has not been nearly as aggressive about renewable targets/shutting down fossil and nuclear.

California is really its own special situation compared to everybody else, even other ecotopias like WA and OR.

Thank goodness it only really extended to Iowa and a few others and wind power. Otherwise we could be seeing similar problems.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Iowa has horrible infrastructure and the further you get from urban areas the worse it can get. There is a lot of catching up the state needs to do and taxes are pretty much the way to do it. So these countries should've had higher taxes the whole time to pay for these things instead of getting hit hard in a couple of year period.

Living in rural Iowa, I don't feel our infrastructure is horrible at all. Absolutely there needs to be continued improvements in our health care / education systems, but the biggest obstacle we face in rural Iowa is decreasing population and labor shortages.

We do not want to become like Nebraska or Minnesota where property taxes are 2X to 3X that of Iowa on a per acre basis. What happens then is people sell their land in those states and reinvest in Iowa farmland..which drives up our price and rents. (which is a good thing if you are an investor/landowner).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have been curious about this for a while and this seems a good place to ask. My understanding is that on those residential solar installations the power companies are required to buy any surplus power from the home owner. How does the rate they are buying the power relate to the rate the homeowner is paying when they buy from the utility. Also, how does the rate relate to the rate they are paying larger scale power generators?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Pause it around the 10 sec mark and you will see one blade fails and the pieces from that start a chain reaction with another blade and one of the pieces hits the tower causing it to fall. Those horses definitely knew something wasn't right.
Thanks, but I can't tell if "CGI" is an insider's technical answer or a smart aleck's version of "WTF."

The video is fake (CGI) but is pretty much what happens. The audio from this video is stolen from a real Danish windmill failure quite a few years ago.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Living in rural Iowa, I don't feel our infrastructure is horrible at all. Absolutely there needs to be continued improvements in our health care / education systems, but the biggest obstacle we face in rural Iowa is decreasing population and labor shortages.

We do not want to become like Nebraska or Minnesota where property taxes are 2X to 3X that of Iowa on a per acre basis. What happens then is people sell their land in those states and reinvest in Iowa farmland..which drives up our price and rents. (which is a good thing if you are an investor/landowner).

Iowa farmers are not paying enough in property tax. I mean if we're going to have them then the share needs to be upped a little. The assessed values on farmland are a joke here.

• Winner
Reactions: usedcarguy

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

Just to be clear, the blackouts in California are not caused by clean power. They are caused by PG&E's poor tree clearing practices which led them to be found liable for billions of dollars in damage after their lines caused a massive forest fire. You could argue that is the fault of environmentalists, but it's not clean power related. Now, PG&E pre-emptively de-energizes their lines when the wind blows strong enough to avoid liability for future fires. That is the cause of California's recent blackouts.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The video is fake (CGI) but is pretty much what happens. The audio from this video is stolen from a real Danish windmill failure quite a few years ago.

CGI = computer generated imagery.