• Georges

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think there is a very strong case to be made that he and Niang together created the best duo, but separately they are also in the Top 5 all time. Niang is probably the best character and personality but behind Monte on pure skill.

I have a hard time ever saying somebody is the GOAT because situations, skill sets, eras, etc make it nearly impossible to say definitively, not to mention everybody values different qualities. With that said, I think Monte is as strong of candidate as any.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He's easily the most underrated in the convo.

I go back to 95 and I'd call him most valuable over the course of his entire career in past 25 years. It's close but I'd go with him.

Fizer junior year best single season in that range, that's much easier to pick.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Fizer/Grayer take your pick.

I absolutely loved Fizer but I think how huge of a bust he was in the NBA diminished the memories for some. Similar to Troy Davis and Royce White - they are all legends, but don’t always get talked about with the same respect by many because of the bitter aftertaste of their pro letdowns. I don’t think it should be that way, but I think to some it is that way.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
I mean, he had a fantastic career, one of the best in program history, but he's not the best player in program history. I would pick Fizer or Niang.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Tinsley was undefeated in Hilton and with Fizer led Clones to door step of Final Four. Both Tinsley teams were No. 2 seeds in the NCAA Tourney. Tinsley underrated?

I think it'd easily be him if he had another season or two.

The fact that Tinsley refocused and came back for second wind nba career just a few years back shows what a rare talent he was.

Ejim is an interesting one given the program completely turned around and his senior year was one of the best single seasons statistically.

Reactions: Jer and clone2003

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don’t know. There are cases to be made for grayer, Fizer, Georges and monte.

But my personal favorite might be monte. I love georges and the others. But monte is kind of an underdog among our fans base.

My favorite monte story is how pissed he was once they signed Kane. But he didn’t pout publicly, he just came out and made himself indispensable to the team. Same thing with the NBA. He was drafted rediculously low but just went to work, paid his dues in the G league, and became one of the best back up point guards.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

But my personal favorite might be monte. I love georges and the others. But monte is kind of an underdog among our fans base.

My favorite monte story is how pissed he was once they signed Kane. But he didn’t pout publicly, he just came out and made himself indispensable to the team. Same thing with the NBA. He was drafted rediculously low but just went to work, paid his dues in the G league, and became one of the best back up point guards.
Kane was essential to Monte's growth IMO.
Called him freshman all year long in practice and played against him HARD.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Fred made a brilliant decision to look at his all big 12 senior bulldog point guard...and go ahead and play a skinny freshman pure point guard right next to him. It's not like monte was Thomas where you thought pairing a sharp shooter with Kane. It was two pure point guards playing a ton of minutes together.

Maybe not the obvious thing, but the smart thing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hornacek is easily the best NBA player to come from Iowa stars so far.

From all four programs in my lifetime. It's an interesting debate if you throw Iowa high school kids in there but I'd say he'd still edge out hinrich, collison, korver and barnes.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Tinsley was undefeated in Hilton and with Fizer led Clones to door step of Final Four. Both Tinsley teams were No. 2 seeds in the NCAA Tourney. Tinsley underrated?
No, I think him only playing 2 years has an effect on it.