Brink of Disaster......?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
There's been like 3 confirmed of that actually happening and last I checked they didn't experience any symptoms.

There was some story just this last week talking about a 2nd case in the U.S. but it was from back in May? Weird they ran it now...jealousy?

From what I can tell the 'immunity' for these viruses is basically the T-cells keeping it from doing much a 2nd time. Even with a flu shot, you might get infected, but just not badly. The big question imo is how contagious someone may be if they get it again.

This past week, researchers reported cases of reinfection in a patient in Hong Kong and two patients in Europe; but in all three cases, the patients either developed a milder form of COVID-19 or were asymptomatic the second time around, according to NBC News.

But according to the new case study, the 25-year-old Nevada patient developed more severe symptoms the second time he was infected. His case was published as a preprint on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) and hasn't yet been peer-reviewed. The researchers have submitted their paper to the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
I imagine a good amount of these tests are because *gasps* people are showing symptoms.... People aren't just getting tested for fun, they are either not feeling well or had direct contact. Community spread is the biggest issue with the colleges and now that the cancellation period is over it will just be a matter of time before Iowa and Iowa State both go online.

If I were in ISU's administration, I would just keep moving classes online as they become infected. If a class of asocial engineers doesn't have any cases, than they can keep having classes. If you end up with everyone online, so be it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This past week, researchers reported cases of reinfection in a patient in Hong Kong and two patients in Europe; but in all three cases, the patients either developed a milder form of COVID-19 or were asymptomatic the second time around, according to NBC News.

But according to the new case study, the 25-year-old Nevada patient developed more severe symptoms the second time he was infected. His case was published as a preprint on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) and hasn't yet been peer-reviewed. The researchers have submitted their paper to the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

Yes, that's the one from May, first infected in mid-April. I think it was announced then as well. Maybe they didn't get enough people freaking out about it so they ran it again.

I experienced my chest discomfort for a solid six-eight weeks after when I would have been infected as well.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
My first reaction exactly. Obviously I'm not a talented writer, but his whiny letter home was really poorly done. Also, the suggestion of sending everyone home at this point is a terrible idea, we should deal with the issues we have in Ames, in Ames. Not spread them to mom, dad, and grandma back at home.

It's an opinion piece, not hard news. You're allowed to disagree with it. Journalism, as you guys are referring to it, isn't the opinion page.

That said, it does read like a college kid trying to get an A on a paper.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Anyone have any idea why this is a bigger issue at Iowa colleges than it is in other states?
Did those colleges push back start dates and this is just a sign of things to come?
Are Iowa teenagers and young adults just more irresponsible?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone have any idea why this is a bigger issue at Iowa colleges than it is in other states?
Did those colleges push back start dates and this is just a sign of things to come?

Not sure about all states but WI's colleges are just getting in, and I think MN is too.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If I were in ISU's administration, I would just keep moving classes online as they become infected. If a class of asocial engineers doesn't have any cases, than they can keep having classes. If you end up with everyone online, so be it.

Agree, but I don't think the problem is the on-site classes as much as it is having thousands of students living on top of each other in the dorms and in each others faces Thursday-Sunday at parties.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yes, that's the one from May, first infected in mid-April. I think it was announced then as well. Maybe they didn't get enough people freaking out about it so they ran it again.

I experienced my chest discomfort for a solid six-eight weeks after when I would have been infected as well.

They just now determined it was two separate infections and not a prolonged infection that has been seen in thousands of others. They initially thought the patient was a "long hauler" but it turns out he was infected two different times.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t think it’s going great at tOSU either. Also astarter on the football team got shot through the face on Sunday.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They just now determined it was two separate infections and not a prolonged infection that has been seen in thousands of others. They initially thought the patient was a "long hauler" but it turns out he was infected two different times.

Yeah could have been.

It's a coronavirus.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So many people in Iowa don't GAF so to expect young people, who are already predisposed not to GAF, to change their behavior once on campus is folly.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No could about it. They proved it by analyzing the genomes of the two viruses.

Ok.

So as intense and effective as it is, there's similarities to other viruses that people occasionally get it twice.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Few things. First consider that the antigen tests they have done since March or whenever were all placed on one day during the last couple weeks that made a spike in all the counties. Second, what is the population of Iowa city and Ames compared to other University towns. An emergency management guy from my county (far removed from those counties) mentioned that you have 30k students show up in a town of 60k and county of 90k; they added the cases from these students and then divided by the county numbers not including those students; whereas they should have added in the increase in population. So you should trim 25-33% off the per capita rate. If you do those things, it is still high but far from the rates that the NY times article was portraying for the Iowa universities. Consider Northwestern University in Chicago, just adding those student cases to chicago doesn't give it the pop that Ames does.

Basically shoddy data analysis is inflating the numbers in those articles.

EsTasClone

Dec 10, 2015
Look man, I'm not one of these crazies who thinks it's a hoax or anything. But college age kids are at pretty damn low risk for complications. A lot of people are gonna feel pretty ****** for a few days, then they'll get over it and be immune. I fail to see the "disaster."

Thank you for saying this. Seems like us people who believe this are easy targets for those who think the entire world needs to shut down. We've never hidden from risks before, just learned how to manage them.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Few things. First consider that the antigen tests they have done since March or whenever were all placed on one day during the last couple weeks that made a spike in all the counties. Second, what is the population of Iowa city and Ames compared to other University towns. An emergency management guy from my county (far removed from those counties) mentioned that you have 30k students show up in a town of 60k and county of 90k; they added the cases from these students and then divided by the county numbers not including those students; whereas they should have added in the increase in population. So you should trim 25-33% off the per capita rate. If you do those things, it is still high but far from the rates that the NY times article was portraying for the Iowa universities. Consider Northwestern University in Chicago, just adding those student cases to chicago doesn't give it the pop that Ames does.

Basically shoddy data analysis is inflating the numbers in those articles.

This is factually incorrect.

The NY Times article used the numbers from Johns Hopkins which includes the student population as part of the county population. They took the number of positives and divided it by 96,922.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Agree, but I don't think the problem is the on-site classes as much as it is having thousands of students living on top of each other in the dorms and in each others faces Thursday-Sunday at parties.

....and I believe ISU housing refund deadline was on 8/28. So if they went all on line and people decided to go home, ISU will still get their money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is factually incorrect.

The NY Times article used the numbers from Johns Hopkins which includes the student population as part of the county population. They took the number of positives and divided it by 96,922.

Population
(2010)
• Total89,542
• Estimate
(2018)

Here is story county populations from story county. You sure about that being infactual? It would mean the student population of ISU is (1,183). A negative number.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth