Appears we open up @TCU on Sept. 26

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The reason to push it back is to simply give more time to see how colleges are able to handle things before introducing the big variable of traveling football teams.

Big Ten and Pac 12 didn't want to wait any longer for what they felt was inevitable.

Big XII, SEC, and ACC are much more on the "lets give it as much time as we can to see if things somehow improve or don't get any worse when college is open" track. They realize the chances of actually playing are still less than 50/50, but they will also take a lot less slack if they let it go to the last minute and show they're trying everything they can to make it work.

Much of the flack the Big Ten and Pac 12 are taking, in my opinion, is more about the timing of the decision and not at least giving the appearance of holding out hope.

There is a lot of politics involved now and if this was a week ago, Big XII would have sided with the Big Ten/Pac 12 - regardless of one's opinions on if that would have been the right thing to do. I would say they are less adamant that there will be games than people are inferring from the latest activities.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: aobie, Cy$ and jsb

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I keep going back and forth on whether or not schools can monitor players closely enough to not have this be a disaster. But, I still can't see any situation where allowing fan attendance is a good idea, even at half capacity.

I don't see a good way to socially distance thousands of fans in concourses, bathrooms, food lines and seats. They will be removing masks to eat and drink. That's not even taking into account the fans that already refuse to mask up already.

IMO, fans being allowed to attend is the greater risk to starting back up.

I think that they CAN monitor players well enough. But, they are going to have to test multiple times a week. And the players will need to self monitor by not going to parties and bars during the season. Obviously masks on campus. Strong senior leadership on the team will make a big difference.

As far as fans, I think that it can be done. Reduce that 30k to 10k. Close the concessions. Require masks to enter and recommend they be worn at all times. I think that you can space people out enough. Obviously tell people to stay home if they are showing symptoms or at risk. Really, the only issue is entering/leaving the stadium and then the restrooms. But, you're talking 1/5 the crowd, everyone with masks, hand sanitizer stations all over...and it's outside.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm so happy the Big 12 isn't being pushed around. Continue to fight the good fight, Big 12.

How great would it be if our conference was able to have an entire football season without any major disruptions or outbreaks while Iowa and the Big 10 sit at home

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm so happy the Big 12 isn't being pushed around. Continue to fight the good fight, Big 12.

How great would it be if our conference was able to have an entire football season without any major disruptions or outbreaks while Iowa and the Big 10 sit at home
There will be a few hiccups, but I think it can be done. I honestly could not imagine the feeling of being a huge fan for a Pac-12 or B1G team and have to sit through this entire season watching everyone else play and not being able to watch your team.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So if 3 leagues play in the fall and 2 leagues play in the spring, what happens with post season play?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Fall can have a championship, spring can’t. Goes off of majority.

I mean like, will there be a playoff? 3 champs and an at large? 4 at large? Any postseason for bowl eligible teams not in the playoff? Only having p5 teams as potential opponents could be cool, especially with us not having many games against the other two leagues that would be playing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I mean like, will there be a playoff? 3 champs and an at large? 4 at large? Any postseason for bowl eligible teams not in the playoff? Only having p5 teams as potential opponents could be cool, especially with us not having many games against the other two leagues that would be playing.

I would say resoundingly yes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You almost have to think 4 wins is going to get you a bowl game this year.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The reason to push it back is to simply give more time to see how colleges are able to handle things before introducing the big variable of traveling football teams.

Big Ten and Pac 12 didn't want to wait any longer for what they felt was inevitable.

Big XII, SEC, and ACC are much more on the "lets give it as much time as we can to see if things somehow improve or don't get any worse when college is open" track. They realize the chances of actually playing are still less than 50/50, but they will also take a lot less slack if they let it go to the last minute and show they're trying everything they can to make it work.

Much of the flack the Big Ten and Pac 12 are taking, in my opinion, is more about the timing of the decision and not at least giving the appearance of holding out hope.

There is a lot of politics involved now and if this was a week ago, Big XII would have sided with the Big Ten/Pac 12 - regardless of one's opinions on if that would have been the right thing to do. I would say they are less adamant that there will be games than people are inferring from the latest activities.
I think people get why you push it back. I'm not sure I'm fully on board with the thought process. I still think you try and start as early as you can to give yourself enough time to work around needed makeups and delays. That said if you can't go right away it absolutely makes sense to delay it. I'd just hate for it to be workable in early September, but for us to then miss the end of the season because it gets worse.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Aclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And there will 100% be a playoff. What that looks like is up in the air. I believe the committee is meeting or has met about possibilities.

Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think people get why you push it back. I'm not sure I'm fully on board with the thought process. I still think you try and start as early as you can to give yourself enough time to work around needed makeups and delays. That said if you can't go right away it absolutely makes sense to delay it. I'd just hate for it to be workable in early September, but for us to then miss the end of the season because it gets worse.
We're going to play our first game before though that we can schedule for any date before that I believe.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

If they were dead set on playing at all costs, you would move it up as earliest as possible to both give extra bye weeks and makeup options, as well as to avoid the worst of the pandemic planned for later in the year.

If you are still really hesitant that you can play, you wait a bit to see how things trend when students are on campus, ramp up testing and plans, and dip your toe in the water only if/when it looks passably good.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I wonder if we’d shift the WVU game to the UNI dome? Last time we played at Trice in December was a disaster.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron