My guess is the season gets postponed next week ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I and others here have said spring football makes sense because it gets us to a vaccine. With each development and every day that passes, that seems to be the endgame. 2020 can't end too soon.

Then, the Big Ten released a statement saying that it has halted progress toward full-contact practice. From the statement: “We believe it is best to continue in the appropriate phase of activity referenced above while we digest and share information from each campus to ensure we are moving forward cautiously.” The conference had a regularly scheduled presidents meeting Saturday, with rumors percolating nationally that the wealthiest conference is considering postponing fall sports as well. A Detroit Free Press report Saturday cited league sources saying commissioner Kevin Warren is in favor of a spring football season.

• Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Detroit Free Press at noon today, "Big Ten presidents are expected to meet Saturday afternoon to discuss the future of the conference’s fall sports seasons, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation told the USA TODAY Network.

And it’s possible a spring football season could be on the table.

Both sources were briefed about the call but were not authorized to speak publicly about it. The call was previously scheduled, and was not an emergency call, the sources said. However, the topic of conversation has shifted to the college football season.

Going into the call, the sources were told Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren preferred a spring football season, although no decision had been made.

An email to the Big Ten was not immediately returned.

The presidents meeting comes hours after the Mid-American Conference became the first from the FBS to cancel its fall college football season in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic."

If the B1G shuts down, that's all folks. 1596923263399.png

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Count me as a "No" for spring football. 12 straight months of football gotta be rough on a body.

I would like to see an old fashioned spring game again though. Throw us a bone, Campbell!

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So instead of just cancelling the season, they'll just push it back again until spring. I guess that doesn't hurt anything.... but boy.... they just don't get it do they?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
They just can't wrap their heads around losing all those $$$$.

I think it is more that they can’t bear to cut 4-8 athletic programs. The “Ice Age” is upon us. Everyone that was cheering for this to happen should rejoice in knowing that 40-60 athletes per/school in non-revenue sports just lost an opportunity to attend college.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It will be interesting how college football's TV partners view spring football.

College basketball conference and NCAA tournaments dominate Thu-Sun programing from early March to early April.

MLB season starts around April 1.

NBA season wraps around April 20 and the playoffs run until approx. June 20.

There is some network overlap, but each sport is chasing basically the same group of people. Gotta believe rating for all 4 sports will drop. If I'm a network I'm looking for a rights fee concession or some financial accomodations in the future.

I also believe most elite college football players eligible for the 2021 NFL draft will skip a spring CFB season. The potential to play nearly 30 games in less than 1 year has to have an impact on the body and increase potential for injury.

Even college underclassman will play 26-28 games in 11 months.

I can't see that being healthy and if players are making a stink about Covid protocol. They will be all over injury, concussion dangers of playing so many games so fast.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think it is more that they can’t bear to cut 4-8 athletic programs. The “Ice Age” is upon us. Everyone that was cheering for this to happen should rejoice in knowing that 40-60 athletes per/school in non-revenue sports just lost an opportunity to attend college.

Who was cheering for this to happen?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

NO ONE WAS CHEERING FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. Just because there were some of us who couldn't see how we could play football doesn't mean we wanted them to cancel it.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Good point. It does seem kinda strange that a site called Cyclone Fanatic has so many people that have strongly advocated for the cancelling of the football season. Wonder if they are happy now that it's actually going to happen.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah, the way things are going, cancel the fall season and do a spring season. Leave it up to schools if they want to have fall practice, similar to spring practice.

The big key here is a viable vaccine.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, the way things are going, cancel the fall season and do a spring season. Leave it up to schools if they want to have fall practice, similar to spring practice.

The big key here is a viable vaccine.

If a spring season is the route we go I'm guessing coaches will want to start some sort of workouts this fall to have their guys ready when the season rolls around.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Who was cheering for this to happen?

Or are you referring to people that warned of what would happen if people were dumb about Covid?