NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
The problem is what mens sport can Iowa State cut to remain in compliance with title IX?

None, you have to offer 6 men's sports to be an NCAA member. They are at six right now unless indoor and outdoor track are counted separately. Then, they are at seven. In that case, they could cut one and it would be golf leaving football, basketball, wrestling, XC, track (in), track (out). Of those six, three all use the same 12.6 scholarships - XC, track(in/out). I don't believe in/out track are counted separately though, so ISU cannot cut a men's sport.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Title 9 is what killed ISU baseball right?

No that was strictly financial. Pollard has said many times they could bring back baseball right now with no title IX implications.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Replying to myself. 2018 athletic expenses in order, rounded to nearest 1M too:
Coaches salary 14M, support staff 13M, Facility Debt 11M, scholarships 9M, Other 4M, equipment, games expenses, Memberships all 3M, recruiting, fund raising and marketing, athlete meals and bowl game all 2M, and Medical and Guarantees each 1M.

57 million in expenses ? Didn't you cite 84 million in revenues ?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
While that is true for some, there are also major state universities (UMass, AZ State, among many others) who have been increasing their revenue via online classes. There is a market for it, even if it looks different than our current one. Adults may be more likely to attend classes if they don't have to leave work to do it. There is flexibility here. And many universities have already made the decision.

That's great for people who walk into the game, yes. But that doesn't stop tailgating. People have sued for far more superfluous reasons than this. I'm not saying that they'll win, but it would cost time and legal fees to fight.

There is a reason why ASU has been named most innovative university like 10 years in a row. It's also not easy to set up the structure for online classes - schools that already have the institutional know-how like ASU will likely do very well in this time compared to many others. There is a market for online classes, but ISU is not currently set up to attract the #'s in that market to even remotely make up for the shortfall, I think that's obvious.

Undoubtedly they'll sue, but I'd expect a lock tight language basically absolving them also in the tailgate lots, and I think we'll see the conservative state government also enact protections. Again my own personal feelings don't align here but that's just my expectation.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
That's just not true at all. Everyone touches the same produce table, everyone grabs a cart from a 16 year old who barely sprays the handle, everyone fills up with gas on a handle hardly ever cleaned.

At JTS, all you'd need to do is wear a mask, open your fly to pee and bring in a wet wipe to clean your hands. Never touching anything. Plus JTC is OUTSIDE, Hy-Vee is recirculated air that could already have the virus

you are a master of false equivalency. Grocery stores are required. Football is optional, maybe not optional from a revenue standpoint, I’ll give you that point, but definitely from a health perspective. Plus you are not acknowledging degrees of risk. Yes, being outside helps but limited contact with others FROM YOUR COMMUNITY for the most part for a 20 minute shopping trip is a lot different than sustained contact with people from all over the state. Yes, people make their own decisions but those decisions affect lots of others. By providing a venue for people from all over the state to make bad social contact decisions while tailgating and attending games ISU would be complicit with any health consequences.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Whole thing, maybe not. But again, I think you see alot of non-revenue sports on the chopping block. I just can't see a situation where you can keep up a program that doesn't at least pay for itself, if you're going to lose on gate, concessions and donations.

Someone in here can correct me if I am wrong; but I believe the ISU Athletic Department has to maintain a certain number of varsity sports (plus title 9 requirements) in order to remain in NCAA division 1,Big12 (P5). Don't think anyone (fans, BOR, donors, Foundation, or administration peeps) would jeopardize that standing. I think this was an issue when they cancelled varsity Baseball and Men's swimming, which might have put them at the minimum.

Alumni would be most upset!

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Oh wow I didn't realize all 30,000+ students were story county residents, that's pretty amazing.

Let me explain further for you

Students once on campus many are there for weeks at at time, they are in a more controlled environment. Can some leave sure, but not all 30,000

You now want to bring in tens of thousands of people from outside this environment for a day or 2 .
Story county does not care about the fans attending, they do care about the fans attending and what they could bring in.

Covid protocol seems to be more about identifying hot spots and controlling them
Bring in thousands of fans from all over the state for a game would seem to go against it.

Thus the request made by the county board of health.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
57 million in expenses ? Didn't you cite 84 million in revenues ?
Thanks for pointing this out, I must have missed something. I will revise. I believe expense were slightly less than income.

edit - triple checked, fixed original post
I missed :
Overhead and administration - 11M
Travel - 5M
It now adds up to 85M, by my count.

bottom line summary, the category totals, without rounding and including all the line items less than 500K says total income and total expenses are both about 89M. I think the surplus was something like 25K.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think it's heart is in the right place but Title 9 should have been amended or replaced years ago.

The problem with Title 9 was that it forced the non revenue producing sports to be on an equal status and total number of students with the revenue producing sports of FB and MBB. No other sports makes money except those two.

The law should have been written much simpler, if the MBB flies to an away game in say Waco, then the WBB also flies to the game when they play there.
Either exempt the number of players required for football from the total, or change the law completely.
Everyone is for equal opportunity between men and woman, but its wrong that schools are forced to cut men's sports while creating woman's sports just because they have a football team, and its 85 students on scholarship. Hell EIU has woman's field hockey and crew, even though no high school in the state of Iowa fields a team for either sport. Why, to stay aligned with Title 9.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
None, you have to offer 6 men's sports to be an NCAA member. They are at six right now unless indoor and outdoor track are counted separately. Then, they are at seven. In that case, they could cut one and it would be golf leaving football, basketball, wrestling, XC, track (in), track (out). Of those six, three all use the same 12.6 scholarships - XC, track(in/out). I don't believe in/out track are counted separately though, so ISU cannot cut a men's sport.

Indoor and Outdoor track are counted as two separate sports for program requirement purposes.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Whole thing, maybe not. But again, I think you see alot of non-revenue sports on the chopping block. I just can't see a situation where you can keep up a program that doesn't at least pay for itself, if you're going to lose on gate, concessions and donations.

Not if we want to stay Div I. We are pretty much at the minimum of Big 12 and Div 1 mandated number of sports. There are no sports to cut without a wholesale change to P5 league and NCAA rules.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
There is a reason why ASU has been named most innovative university like 10 years in a row. It's also not easy to set up the structure for online classes - schools that already have the institutional know-how like ASU will likely do very well in this time compared to many others. There is a market for online classes, but ISU is not currently set up to attract the #'s in that market to even remotely make up for the shortfall, I think that's obvious.

Undoubtedly they'll sue, but I'd expect a lock tight language basically absolving them also in the tailgate lots, and I think we'll see the conservative state government also enact protections. Again my own personal feelings don't align here but that's just my expectation.

It is obvious that we are not able to immediately pivot, I agree - however, almost every single university in the country who isn't ASU or UMass-style is facing the same issues. Here are a handful of articles about it:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Covid-19-Computer-Models/249027
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...cation-enrollment-preparing-leaders-for-fall#

Cal State, the biggest public university in the nation, will be entirely remote this fall (other than a very few labs and clinicals): https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/us/college-coronavirus-fall.html?auth=login-google

People are grossly overestimating the uniqueness of ISU's situation. I also wonder if anyone has done a study on the impact of not having people on-campus vs the estimated tuition decrease. You no longer need security guards, janitors, dorm workers, computer lab staff, and any other numbers of staff. It's arguably not good for the workers (although unemployment + the federal stimulus has been found to be better financially for some). However, for the overall financial health of the organization, there is an offset to the loss in revenue.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
It is obvious that we are not able to immediately pivot, I agree - however, almost every single university in the country who isn't ASU or UMass-style is facing the same issues. Here are a handful of articles about it:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-Covid-19-Computer-Models/249027
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...cation-enrollment-preparing-leaders-for-fall#

Cal State, the biggest public university in the nation, will be entirely remote this fall (other than a very few labs and clinicals): https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/us/college-coronavirus-fall.html?auth=login-google

People are grossly overestimating the uniqueness of ISU's situation. I also wonder if anyone has done a study on the impact of not having people on-campus vs the estimated tuition decrease. You no longer need security guards, janitors, dorm workers, computer lab staff, and any other numbers of staff. It's arguably not good for the workers (although unemployment + the federal stimulus has been found to be better financially for some). However, for the overall financial health of the organization, there is an offset to the loss in revenue.

well they make a pretty good profit on residence halls I would imagine, most facilities have been paid for long ago. So not having bodies there would hurt

Most of the Cal State schools do not have large on campus residence, most are commuter schools. So for them there is not a huge loss when it comes to residency fee's.
Moving to online is not as big of a deal for them.

Reactions: Angie

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
you are a master of false equivalency. Grocery stores are required. Football is optional, maybe not optional from a revenue standpoint, I’ll give you that point, but definitely from a health perspective. Plus you are not acknowledging degrees of risk. Yes, being outside helps but limited contact with others FROM YOUR COMMUNITY for the most part for a 20 minute shopping trip is a lot different than sustained contact with people from all over the state. Yes, people make their own decisions but those decisions affect lots of others. By providing a venue for people from all over the state to make bad social contact decisions while tailgating and attending games ISU would be complicit with any health consequences.

I guess I'm failing to say I understand the is risk with having football. I'm using Hy-Vee as the example to say we take risks everyday. This virus is very aggressive and it can be transmitted easily. So you take risk even doing essential activities. No one is forcing anyone to go to games.

The real world has to get back to a NEW NORMAL. Having 20%-50%, whatever the number is at Jack Trice will help the community recover economically. The health risks of COVID are never going away. We can't sit in our privileged suburban homes and wait this virus out until a vaccine comes along because that may NEVER come to be. So start with small crowds and build from there. We have the hospital capacity. We know younger and healthy people don't really need to worry. We know the old and sick need to be protected. We know testing needs to be better. Let's work on all of those things.

Reactions: aauummm

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
well they make a pretty good profit on residence halls I would imagine, most facilities have been paid for long ago. So not having bodies there would hurt

Most of the Cal State schools do not have large on campus residence, most are commuter schools. So for them there is not a huge loss when it comes to residency fee's.
Moving to online is not as big of a deal for them.

The housing loss is what is killer for other schools. I can't imagine ISU is much different.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for pointing this out, I must have missed something. I will revise. I believe expense were slightly less than income.

edit - triple checked, fixed original post
I missed :
Overhead and administration - 11M
Travel - 5M
It now adds up to 85M, by my count.

bottom line summary, the category totals, without rounding and including all the line items less than 500K says total income and total expenses are both about 89M. I think the surplus was something like 25K.

Good work. Not sure how/where you found this info. I've looked before and gave up. It's the sort of stuff that should be a click away.