Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
I don't think people understand what a total journalistic failure this is for local media. Keep in mind...we're talking large-scale racism accusations at a public university. This isn't just sports, it's legitimately news, doubly so in the national environment we're in at this moment.

As best I can tell, there's been almost no original reporting - just rehashing all these tweets. No FOIA requests, no assigning news reporters with much more experience chasing down complex stories like these (because this crosses over from sports into news when a public institution has major accusations of racism), no seeking comment from the university president or administration who oversees diversity/equity issues, no following up with accusers to elaborate on their allegations, no quotes from politicians, no inquiries with state government (civil rights commissions, etc.), no quotes from experts on racism at the local or national level. None of that. Reporters should have their hair on fire get this stuff. Instead, the tone *immediately* turned to "listening" and reconciliation while the accusations were still coming forth.

It's been just as bad for journalists failing to use their platforms to demand answers. No opinion pages have written on this, that I'm aware of. No sports figures have publicly demanded comment from Barta, or talked about how inadequate Ferentz's answers have been. While it's been widely speculated that Doyle will go, has anyone locally demanded it? Has anyone locally seriously suggested Kirk or Brian's jobs should be in jeopardy? All we get are half-hearted retweets of former players with no additional commentary.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. The failure is total.

FOIA requests can take a bit of time to get a response to and the entity has 20 business days to respond to the request, I believe.

Just because you dont have anything less than a week after all this broke doesnt mean the FOIA requests havent been filed.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
There is a difference between being a racist and having implicit bias and making racially insensitive comments. And there is a whole spectrum. Reminds me of some of the Me Too stuff. There is obviously a difference between rape and say touching a women on the shoulders and making her feel uncomfortable but I think emotions run high and we want to lump them all in together. Does it make it right just because it is a lesser offense, so to speak? No but they should be treated differently. We all have biases. It is how we deal with the bias once we realize that it is there that is key. If we are told, hey it is not ok to say that to me because it is racially insensitive and hurts me etc, and we apologize, reflect and change our ways, then things can get better but if you don't think you did anything wrong that is a problem. Do I know if Doyle is a racist? No, he may be. But it could also be he just a bulling racially insensitive ******* who bullies everybody but it makes it worse because he uses racially insensitive language or stereotypes when bullying black athletes.

I think Iowa needs to do some serious reflection on how they got here and what they can do to change. They have started moving in the right direction but actions over time will speak louder than words. It is clear to me that Doyle had way too much power and that BF thinks he is untouchable as well.

Also, agree that people shouldn't be using this as an opportunity to troll an opposing fan base because I think that just makes a mockery of the real issues. There is at least one person on here who is doing that. Like you said, glass houses. ISU has had its race related issues as well on campus. I think James Daniels was right when he said that not only does the football program need a culture change but the State does as well. Ill admit, that will be made more difficult by the fact that Iowa is one of the whitest states.
Post of the year. I wanted to say something similar but you put it in much better words! Kudos! I will guarantee we would have an ISU fan on Iowa boards defending ISU if this happened here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There is a difference between being a racist and having implicit bias and making racially insensitive comments. And there is a whole spectrum. Reminds me of some of the Me Too stuff. There is obviously a difference between rape and say touching a women on the shoulders and making her feel uncomfortable but I think emotions run high and we want to lump them all in together. Does it make it right just because it is a lesser offense, so to speak? No but they should be treated differently. We all have biases. It is how we deal with the bias once we realize that it is there that is key. If we are told, hey it is not ok to say that to me because it is racially insensitive and hurts me etc, and we apologize, reflect and change our ways, then things can get better but if you don't think you did anything wrong that is a problem. Do I know if Doyle is a racist? No, he may be. But it could also be he just a bulling racially insensitive ******* who bullies everybody but it makes it worse because he uses racially insensitive language or stereotypes when bullying black athletes.

I think Iowa needs to do some serious reflection on how they got here and what they can do to change. They have started moving in the right direction but actions over time will speak louder than words. It is clear to me that Doyle had way too much power and that BF thinks he is untouchable as well.

Also, agree that people shouldn't be using this as an opportunity to troll an opposing fan base because I think that just makes a mockery of the real issues. There is at least one person on here who is doing that. Like you said, glass houses. ISU has had its race related issues as well on campus. I think James Daniels was right when he said that not only does the football program need a culture change but the State does as well. Ill admit, that will be made more difficult by the fact that Iowa is one of the whitest states.

Great post!

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
FOIA requests can take a bit of time to get a response to and the entity has 20 business days to respond to the request, I believe.

Just because you dont have anything less than a week after all this broke doesnt mean the FOIA requests havent been filed.

True, but you also don't just sit there and do no reporting in the interim, which is exactly what has happened. It takes 30 seconds to phone any one of the 50 accusers.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He actually asked if ISU fans should want Iowa to keep Doyle so it might benefit ISU in some way with recruiting.

As a State fan I believe Iowa returning their racist clan damages the program the most severely in the long run.

As a human being I want to see justice for these players and their persecutors brought to light for the racists they have shown to be.

Reactions: DeBruzzio

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
As a State fan I believe Iowa returning their racist clan damages the program the most severely in the long run.

As a human being I want to see justice for these players and their persecutors brought to light for the racists they have shown to be.

This

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020

Thats not what he said though so your comments and his are apples and oranges.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't think people understand what a total journalistic failure this is for local media. Keep in mind...we're talking large-scale racism accusations at a public university. This isn't just sports, it's legitimately news, doubly so in the national environment we're in at this moment.

As best I can tell, there's been almost no original reporting - just rehashing all these tweets. No FOIA requests, no assigning news reporters with much more experience chasing down complex stories like these (because this crosses over from sports into news when a public institution has major accusations of racism), no seeking comment from the university president or administration who oversees diversity/equity issues, no following up with accusers to elaborate on their allegations, no quotes from politicians, no inquiries with state government (civil rights commissions, etc.), no quotes from experts on racism at the local or national level. None of that. Reporters should have their hair on fire to get hold of this stuff. Instead, the tone *immediately* turned to "listening" and reconciliation while the accusations were still coming forth.

It's been just as bad for journalists failing to use their platforms to demand answers. No opinion pages have written on this, that I'm aware of. No sports figures have publicly demanded comment from Barta, or talked about how inadequate Ferentz's answers have been. While it's been widely speculated that Doyle will go, has anyone locally demanded it? Has anyone locally seriously suggested Kirk or Brian's jobs should be in jeopardy? All we get are half-hearted retweets of former players with no additional commentary.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. The failure is total.

The bashing on the media is just tiresome. How do you know there hasn't been any FOIA requests? How do you know they haven't sough comments from people?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This is the part that is so frustrating to me

The media the past week has played well to the stereotype that they are all afraid of Iowa and Ferentz. Their silence is ridiculous especially since I had to listen to a whole radio show about Cordell Pemsl getting hurt and analyzing if a fan pushed him in the stands. We had to listen to numerous radio shows, and quotes from the President and AD of the University about band safety. This is a major story of 50+ players alleged racial injustices and the major theme is "this happens everywhere" or just complete silence.

If Iowa fans were calling for the end of the CyHawk FB game due to hearsay from band members then they might need to decide to listen to these players accounts also. If you are choosing not to you might need to look hard and realize that maybe you weren't that upset about the band thing either it just provided you with a great opportunity to jump on Iowa State.

Or if you were upset about the band thing ( and that is fine) then you probably should be listening to these players, not going after the one reporter who is trying to cover it, and maybe think that a few coaches need to be gone at your school. Otherwise you are just a bunch of hypocrites.

The lack of coverage in this state is disgusting and discredits all those speaking out.

I un-Winnered this so I could Winner it again

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

As best I can tell, there's been almost no original reporting - just rehashing all these tweets. No FOIA requests, no assigning news reporters with much more experience chasing down complex stories like these (because this crosses over from sports into news when a public institution has major accusations of racism), no seeking comment from the university president or administration who oversees diversity/equity issues, no following up with accusers to elaborate on their allegations, no quotes from politicians, no inquiries with state government (civil rights commissions, etc.), no quotes from experts on racism at the local or national level. None of that. Reporters should have their hair on fire to get hold of this stuff. Instead, the tone *immediately* turned to "listening" and reconciliation while the accusations were still coming forth.

It should be a story of the total lack of institutional control from the entire university. They’ve had more insane **** ups in this century than most schools have had in their entire existences.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The bashing on the media is just tiresome. How do you know there hasn't been any FOIA requests? How do you know they haven't sough comments from people?

Uh, because generally when there is reporting being done, it results in stories being published? Hell, these days reporters share on Twitter when they're seeking comment from people or they've filed requests...it's a way to publicly shame a person into responding.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
wait- you don’t see a difference between racism and racial insensitivity? That’s absurd in my opinion. One can be corrected, one can’t.

if Iowa had true racists on staff they would not hire or recruit black guys, and there would be calls from former players for kirks head right now.

in terms of overplaying an a issue- you are seeing in this thread right now. Now, I was expecting it due to the nature of the rivalry but I don’t think ANY program should be taking moral high ground right now. Many of these things occur all over. Glass houses and all. You have also seen a good number of iowa players bring up issues that are completely unrelated to race to ride the coattails of the situation. Iowa’s commits and players seem to back the program.

This is hardly unique to this situation though. It happens during any crisis.
Who are you to define what "true racist" is. That's exactly how KKK'ers and White Citizens Council members were described in the 1950's and 1960's. Also you sound like southern plantation owner - "how can I be racist when all my workers are black?"

Yes, there is a bit of a difference between racial insensitivity and racism. But racial insensitivity results in racists acts and racist statements

This isn't just that hard. You must believe the "fine people on both sides" shtick.

Doyle and BF need to be fired now. KF needs a change of heart, but I don't think he is capable.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Uh, because generally when there is reporting being done, it results in stories being published? Hell, these days reporters share on Twitter when they're seeking comment from people or they've filed requests...it's a way to publicly shame a person into responding.
Getting FOIA requests granted isn't an easy process. Sorry but I bet these guys are working on stuff. At least the ones that aren't furloughed. I have just gotten sick of blame the media crap. After a certain president attacking press for four years I am sick of it. Two of the writers that cover the team did a two hour podcast on the issues. One of them talked to 3 former hawkeyes about the program.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Haven't listened to Ken and Trent for awhile. Actually talking about really talking about this and bringing up strong issues. The cedar rapids guy is bringing heat to vs the register just laying back and acting like it's no big deal.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
I have already had two reporters come after me on twitter--I finally took down my tweet. But honestly how can they not see how they are not fairly covering this story and you are right this isn't just a sports story.

Status
Not open for further replies.