Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
DP leading off with Kaepernick/Goodell/Trump.
That’s kind of why I think Doyle survives it.

I’m sure they will touch on this but it’s a S&C who most of these allegations are about which doesn’t make it as interesting.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
DP leading off with Kaepernick/Goodell/Trump.
That’s kind of why I think Doyle survives it.

I’m sure they will touch on this but it’s a S&C who most of these allegations are about which doesn’t make it as interesting.

Doyle is gone. Just bc DP doesn't lead with it doesn't mean anything..lol. It will be talked about a lot this week.

Doyle isn't going to be with U of Iowa much longer.

Reactions: CyTwins and aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Chad critical of both Kirk and Doyle here

It's a good piece. And as someone who has called him a propagandist in the past rather than a real reporter, he deserves credit for his work the last few days. He hasn't shied away from it.

But again, look at the tone here. Look at the benefit of the doubt Iowa gets. We're not even sure we know the full scope of this story yet and we're moving on to talk of reconciliation and setting an example for the nation.

There's no serious implication that Ferentz or his son - or Barta for that matter - should be in jeopardy of losing their jobs. There's no mention of the obvious suggestion that for every player who had the courage to speak up there are likely to be multiple more who didn't. There's no mention that Ferentz directly denied his own former players' and parents' accounts of what happened (who's lying?). And the focus stays on the accusations against Doyle when there are many fewer yet still specific allegations against both Ferentzes as well.

It's a crappy situation and you can only spin it so much, but even this story is written in the most favorable possible light toward Iowa.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
If these keep coming out, especially stories like the one about the player getting suspended for standing up for himself, Kirk should retire or be fired. There is no excuse for a coach who was been there for 20+ years, whose defining characteristic of his program is "culture", has no idea what his culture really is. Whether or not he was malicious in intent doesn't really matter.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Doyle is gone. Just bc DP doesn't lead with it doesn't mean anything..lol. It will be talked about a lot this week.

Doyle isn't going to be with U of Iowa much longer.

How can Doyle remain after he released a statement (that did not even contain an apology) when he was told to remain silent? Barta looks like he has no authority at all under that circumstance.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I went back and found an old DJK related article and noticed this quote:

Some of Johnson-Koulianos' former teammates have come out supporting him. Former Iowa cornerback Amari Spievey wrote this on his Facebook page:

"I support DJK 100%. He was a big part of us winning all those games and was treated very poorly. Even before he got in trouble. Iowa didn't like for (people) to be themselves. Djk is a unique person. He's not going to be like everyone else. A cookie cutter Iowan. Not everyone is like that."

This article was from 2013. Fast-forward to 2020 and Kirk is still somehow oblivious to these issues. Give me a break. Now we just have a new way of defining "Iowa didn't like for people to be themselves."

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How can Doyle remain after he released a statement (that did not even contain an apology) when he was told to remain silent? Barta looks like he has no authority at all under that circumstance.
Yeah I would be shocked if Kirk and Brian were fired (assuming no new information regarding them comes out), but if Doyle is allowed to stay on, there is going to be a sh** ton of backlash.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The coaches outside the S&C staff are extremely limited by the NCAA in how much they can interact with the team. S&C coaches are the lifeblood of any program and have to be in close contact with the HC all off-season. This isn't an Iowa thing, it's an NCAA thing. That being said, there is NO WAY KF didn't know who Doyle was as a person.

True, but those limits are in regards to coaching football. There is no limit on a player contacting a assistant coach to talk through issues.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

People shouldn't look at that as his honest feelings about the situation or an attempt to preserve his job. That is his attempt to get the money he's owed under his contract when he's fired rather than being fired with cause and owed nothing.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Kurt's going to die on the "why didn't they come to me" hill.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Unfortunately , there are plenty of individuals in this world who use belittling and demeaning techniques at tools for motivation. And some individuals do respond to those methods.

But the reality is, in today's climate, that won't fly at a publicly funded institution. (Unless you are the US Military.)

I'd say Doyle is toast. Especially since he refused to take ANY accountability. I'd give the Ferentz clan about a 50/50 chance right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
2020 is full of suck
Don't worry I'll cheer you up when I crash at your place in Nov. We'll hit the town!
giphy.gif

Reactions: mj4cy
Status
Not open for further replies.