97-98 Bulls Documentary (The Last Dance)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So you're saying Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman weren't all stars?

JFC I'm saying they weren't extraordinary teams without MJ. Rodman was only on two teams. The third best offensive player was typically not a great offensive player. Defensively most of the teams were very deep and they had several excellent coaches.

It's a fantasy created by LeBron fans in their 20s that Jordan's teams were radically more talented than LeBron's. Obviously two or three of lbj's teams really were a bare cupboard.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
JFC I'm saying they weren't extraordinary teams without MJ. Rodman was only on two teams. The third best offensive player was typically not a great offensive player. Defensively most of the teams were very deep and they had several excellent coaches.

It's a fantasy created by LeBron fans in their 20s that Jordan's teams were radically more talented than LeBron's. Obviously two or three of lbj's teams really were a bare cupboard.

I don't really put much stock in the "supporting cast" arguments. We're still talking about NBA caliber players.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

tenor.gif

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

You're also ignoring Lebron's competition in the Finals was way better than Chicago's.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People who think Jordan is the goat think history stopped after 1998.

NBA is by far my favorite sports league. I think the college game is nearly unwatchable in comparison. Enjoying your take that I haven't watched in 22 years when it's the only sports league u really follow outside if ISU football and basketball.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
You're also ignoring Lebron's competition in the Finals was way better than Chicago's.

The teams of the 90s were so much better than the teams Lebron faced. The East had so many good teams on the road to the Finals back then, whereas the East of the 2010s were hardly a challenge. Lebron doesn't make the Finals very often if he had to face competition every round of the playoffs.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Only GSW was better and several were not really an epic challenge.

If you were old enough you'd know the ECF in the 80s and 90s is like the WCF has been in 00s and 10s.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Got to go to a Bulls game Christmas break 1997 when I was in HS. One if the best sports memories I have even if we didnt have the greatest seats. Jordan scored 45 in the game and Rodman hit a 3 in a beat down of the Cavs. Looking forward to this documentary as I would even listen to Bulls games on the radio growing up when I could.

Reactions: madguy30

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I’m admittedly too young to fully appreciate Jordan’s greatness, but I think there’s at least something to be said that the Bulls without Jordan those two years in between the threepeats still finished 3rd and 5th in the east. Cavs without LeBron finished 15th, 13th, 13th, 10th.

I also don’t completely dismiss the conspiracy theory that’s been floated around that Jordan was secretly banned for the years he took off because of his gambling issues. I just don’t buy that someone with that high of a competitive drive just magically didn’t want to play for two years

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
For the record, I used to be a Lebron fan but not so much now that he’s with the Lakers. He’s gotten pretty annoying

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’m admittedly too young to fully appreciate Jordan’s greatness, but I think there’s at least something to be said that the Bulls without Jordan those two years in between the threepeats still finished 3rd and 5th in the east. Cavs without LeBron finished 15th, 13th, 13th, 10th.

I also don’t completely dismiss the conspiracy theory that’s been floated around that Jordan was secretly banned for the years he took off because of his gambling issues. I just don’t buy that someone with that high of a competitive drive just magically didn’t want to play for two years

It’s an intriguing theory, and you can make an argument for it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/131997-mjs-1st-retirement-was-it-a-secret-suspension

That said, not sure why the NBA would cover up his misdeeds AND kick him out with his marketability and star power. It’s more likely after the first 3 peat he wasn’t feeling challenged anymore.

Also a lot of these theories seem to forget the tragedy that happened with his father. If that had happened to me I would’ve taken a leave of absence from work too.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
It’s an intriguing theory, and you can make an argument for it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/131997-mjs-1st-retirement-was-it-a-secret-suspension

That said, not sure why the NBA would cover up his misdeeds AND kick him out with his marketability and star power. It’s more likely after the first 3 peat he wasn’t feeling challenged anymore.

Also a lot of these theories seem to forget the tragedy that happened with his father. If that had happened to me I would’ve taken a leave of absence from work too.
His father was murdered, and since that happened it’s been rumored that the NBA and the mafia in Vegas were behind it because they wanted the series to go to game 7. If that is true, Jordan retiring to play baseball to say **** you to the NBA makes sense.