Wisconsin denying current spring seniors possible 2021 eligibility

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Boy state of Wisconsin is gonna be hated soon. First politics, now this. What's next? Gonna get rid of cheese curds?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Boy state of Wisconsin is gonna be hated soon. First politics, now this. What's next? Gonna get rid of cheese curds?

200.gif

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We will have to immediately close this if it goes into politics. Warning now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We will have to immediately close this if it goes into politics. Warning now.
I do think its an important topic and I hope people respect your post because I think it will happen to a lot more schools.

Reactions: Angie

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
even wealthy big10 schools don't have the $$$ for extra scholarships for spring athletes.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
At first, the headline was pretty infuriating, but after reading thier logic it makes sense. I wonder if any of these athletes will take opportunities at other universities. Especially softball / baseball players.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

People are going to hate this. I personally don't have a problem with it. If they want to continue in their athletics, find another college. If they don't want to play anywhere but Wisconsin, start your adult life like you would have done anyway. The only thing is they don't get closure in their sports life, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that big of a deal.

I can speak from experience, kind of. I got injured my senior year of college with a handful of games and the national tournament left. It ended abruptly and I didn't have a chance to finish it out. At least these kids have an opportunity to grad transfer if they want. It sucks, but its not the end of the world.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The problem that immediately comes to my mind with this option, what happens to the incoming Freshman? They had to have a new class of athletes coming in already right? So you can't have both sides otherwise it will be quite costly and your teams are going to be way over the NCAA limits. Unless they've also waived those limits.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
At first, the headline was pretty infuriating, but after reading thier logic it makes sense. I wonder if any of these athletes will take opportunities at other universities. Especially softball / baseball players.

Hello Iowa State club baseball!

Reactions: tzjung

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I'm curious what Wisconsin would do if a player was planning to go to grad school and wanted to walk-on. I agree with others that this might not be as big of an issue as it first sounds. I don't really have a problem with ADs and coaches encouraging a lot of the players to move on with life. But seems like Wisconsin is making a mistake at least from a PR prospective making such a blanket statement.

Reactions: drlove

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
My thought the moment the NCAA announced that seniors could return was "how would this impact incoming freshmen and scholarships?". The scholarships appear okay, but all the underclassmen are losing opportunities because of this.

Alvarez's quote regarding impacts to study abroad opportunities and the like for other students is pretty important as well.