All Iowa/ISU Wrestling Lineup

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Well he didn’t help him. He had the opportunity to demonstrate his invincibility and didn’t get the chance to wrestle that match.
Not ducking, just smart load management by NCOTY Brands :rolleyes:

Lee is obviously great and deserving, but you're correct that the oranges out east didn't necessarily help his case. No shock though, habitual ducking.

Shame that Lee is a Hawk as he's actually an incredibly enjoyable wrestler/personality and has had a positive influence on the perception of Iowa wrestling. Once he graduates, I'm sure it won't take long for the Hawk team image to shift right back to the phony macho/tough guy shtick they are so good at.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Lee is obviously great and deserving, but you're correct that the oranges out east didn't necessarily help his case. No shock though, habitual ducking.

Shame that Lee is a Hawk as he's actually an incredibly enjoyable wrestler/personality and has had a positive influence on the perception of Iowa wrestling. Once he graduates, I'm sure it won't take long for the Hawk team image to shift right back to the phony macho/tough guy shtick they are so good at.

Nice take...

giphy.gif

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I always find it funny that ISU fans have much higher expectations of Iowa than they do their own team.

Yeah, he's so scared to wrestle a guy he tech falled the last time they met that he runs to Texas to wrestle, and beat, NATO and a bunch of former national champions instead.

Brilliant take.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

All of this

HawkFan1

Feb 2, 2019
The Virtual NCAA's account picked up a lot of steam during the break. It had Carr winning the title at 57 and had Penn State edging out Iowa for the National Title
Might wanna look back...

Also, this was admittedly a Penn St fan that was picking each winner based on what they wanted to see happen and what would make an interesting tourney.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Might wanna look back...

Also, this was admittedly a Penn St fan that was picking each winner based on what they wanted to see happen and what would make an interesting tourney.

That NCAA virtual tourney? Yeah, the guy came out and said there was a bias against Iowa because it made the whole thing more interesting.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Might wanna look back...

So they picked Carr and Penn State to win it?

HawkFan1

Feb 2, 2019
Lol they had Iowa winning by one without any point deductions. Considering Desanto lost at least twice that's two points there giving Penn State the title
So you’re assuming DeSanto would cost Iowa 2 team points and Iowa would lose by 1?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So you’re assuming DeSanto would cost Iowa 2 team points and Iowa would lose by 1?

2 points minimum plus whatever the Brands brothers cost Iowa. My guess is Penn State wins by 4-5 points when you tally them all up

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Lol they had Iowa winning by one without any point deductions. Considering Desanto lost at least twice that's two points there giving Penn State the title

So you think Iowa would have made the Elite 8 in basketball then.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah, he's so scared to wrestle a guy he tech falled the last time they met that he runs to Texas to wrestle, and beat, NATO and a bunch of former national champions instead.

Brilliant take.
Yeah, there's no way he could wrestle a D-1 match 12 days before the Senior Nationals. :rolleyes:

OR... they could have followed the Seth Gross model, when he wrestled 133 back-to-back days Nov 7th/8th and then went to the Bill Farrell seven days later and beat 3 national champions (NATO, Suriano, Cruz) at 57kg.

Maybe not so crazy after all?

Also, I'm not accusing Lee of being scared to wrestle. I'm sure he'd wrestle anyone, anywhere, anytime. It's a Brands thing.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah, there's no way he could wrestle a D-1 match 12 days before the Senior Nationals. :rolleyes:

OR... they could have followed the Seth Gross model, when he wrestled 133 back-to-back days Nov 7th/8th and then went to the Bill Farrell seven days later and beat 3 national champions (NATO, Suriano, Cruz) at 57kg.

Maybe not so crazy after all?

Also, I'm not accusing Lee of being scared to wrestle. I'm sure he'd wrestle anyone, anywhere, anytime. It's a Brands thing.

So you think Brands is scared for Lee?

Look at all the guys who took the entire season off to focus solely on FS to get prepared for trials. You're banging on Lee for taking a few weeks mid-season?

Good for Gross, great wrestler. But I'll trust in TB's and SL's judgment. It seems to be working pretty well.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So you think Brands is scared for Lee?

Look at all the guys who took the entire season off to focus solely on FS to get prepared for trials. You're banging on Lee for taking a few weeks mid-season?

Good for Gross, great wrestler. But I'll trust in TB's and SL's judgment. It seems to be working pretty well.
I'm not sure whats hard to understand about this. No one is claiming Lee is anything short of great. He hardly got challenged at all, all year long and the one guy at the weight who might be able to half way give him a match, his coach didn't have him wrestle. Maybe it was for the best for Spencer and there was reasons behind the scenes he didn't wrestle it, but at the very least it's a decision worth questioning. It was the one match all year Lee could have at least had somewhat of a chance to be challenged and he didn't get to wrestle it.