All Iowa/ISU Wrestling Lineup

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not sure whats hard to understand about this. No one is claiming Lee is anything short of great. He hardly got challenged at all, all year long and the one guy at the weight who might be able to half way give him a match, his coach didn't have him wrestle. Maybe it was for the best for Spencer and there was reasons behind the scenes he didn't wrestle it, but at the very least it's a decision worth questioning. It was the one match all year Lee could have at least had somewhat of a chance to be challenged and he didn't get to wrestle it.

Nick Piccininni says 'hi'.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Glory did beat Cashman 10-4, #10 Paetzell in OT and #20 DAugustino 4-0, so Lee should probably duck him just to be safe.

It was within a few points going into the 3rd, and Cashman nearly had PG on his back when he pulled that late reversal.

Absolutely terrifying matchup for Lee.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I like how you all like to forget that Lee has wrestled Glory twice. Only ever bring up the tech in Glory's 5th ever D-1 match. Not the 2nd match at Midlands where Glory certainly closed that gap. He survived the 1st period storm, then rode the heck out of Lee for two periods while Lee stalled away on bottom for 4 minutes.

Seeing that and knowing that Glory definitely jumped levels in his second season makes it all the more probable that Glory was the biggest threat to Spencer this year, and could close that gap even further. Picc is the perfect example... Glory goes 0-3 vs. Picc his freshman year and then this season he soundly beat Picc in Stillwater.

Lee the favorite to win that matchup? OF COURSE. Would Glory winning be stunning? Not at all.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It was within a few points going into the 3rd, and Cashman nearly had PG on his back when he pulled that late reversal.

Absolutely terrifying matchup for Lee.
What about when Glory rode Lee for 4 straight minutes, tilted him twice, and had him stalling away on bottom to survive?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Lee beat Glory that day by as much as Glory beat Cashman this season.
And? Why use other matches to draw some comparison when we can use the data points that already exist. What we know is that from Match #1 to Match #2 there was a definite closing of the gap. Therefore it's logical to infer that with a level jump from Freshman to Sophomore year, the gap could be closed further.

Sports psychology is also a big deal, particularly in wrestling. If you show up expecting to get a shot at the #1 guy and out trots the back up, it's logical to assume you'd be let down and coast.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And? Why use other matches to draw some comparison when we can use the data points that already exist. What we know is that from Match #1 to Match #2 there was a definite closing of the gap. Therefore it's logical to infer that with a level jump from Freshman to Sophomore year, the gap could be closed further.

Sports psychology is also a big deal, particularly in wrestling. If you show up expecting to get a shot at the #1 guy and out trots the back up, it's logical to assume you'd be let down and coast.

Ok just so I've got this straight. In 2018 Lee beat Picc in the dual, then stuck him at the NCAAs. Gap widening. Then in 2019 Picc stuck Lee in the dual. Gap closing. Then Lee beat Picc at NCAAs. Gap widening. Then this year Lee majored Picc. Gap widening further. Weird how that gap didn't just stay headed in the same direction, as you're saying it would be "logical to infer."

Looks like Glory TF'd the kid from Columbia the first two times they wrestled, then only beat him 3-0 in the conference tourney. Logical to infer that kid will beat Glory the next time they face off, what with how he's closed that gap.

I just hope KD gets recruiting turned around fast so you have something better to cling to than the hope that a wrestler at Princeton might've come closer to beating Lee than the rest.

Reactions: Gitwitit

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I like how you all like to forget that Lee has wrestled Glory twice. Only ever bring up the tech in Glory's 5th ever D-1 match. Not the 2nd match at Midlands where Glory certainly closed that gap. He survived the 1st period storm, then rode the heck out of Lee for two periods while Lee stalled away on bottom for 4 minutes.

Seeing that and knowing that Glory definitely jumped levels in his second season makes it all the more probable that Glory was the biggest threat to Spencer this year, and could close that gap even further. Picc is the perfect example... Glory goes 0-3 vs. Picc his freshman year and then this season he soundly beat Picc in Stillwater.

Lee the favorite to win that matchup? OF COURSE. Would Glory winning be stunning? Not at all.
Glory didn't close the gap at all at Midlands from a talent or ability perspective. The only difference was Spencer gassed as he did a few times last season. He also struggled against Sean Russell from MN around the same time.

It sounds like you are trying to say Glory improved from year 1 to year 2 and not giving that same credit to Spencer for improving year 2 to year 3. I personally think Spencer has looked better this season than in any other. He's been tested past the 1st period a few times and his gas tank has looked better than in previous years.

It's also a stretch to say Glory made this big jump in levels when Pic is only 1 of 2 top 20 guys he wrestled all year. He struggled with Cashman, Paetzell and DuAugustino all of which are not AA caliber (maybe Paetzell could get there).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Glory didn't close the gap at all at Midlands from a talent or ability perspective. The only difference was Spencer gassed as he did a few times last season. He also struggled against Sean Russell from MN around the same time.

It sounds like you are trying to say Glory improved from year 1 to year 2 and not giving that same credit to Spencer for improving year 2 to year 3. I personally think Spencer has looked better this season than in any other. He's been tested past the 1st period a few times and his gas tank has looked better than in previous years.

It's also a stretch to say Glory made this big jump in levels when Pic is only 1 of 2 top 20 guys he wrestled all year. He struggled with Cashman, Paetzell and DuAugustino all of which are not AA caliber (maybe Paetzell could get there).

Glory was a Hodge finalist and could have beaten Lee. That's why Brands ducked him. Literally it's what Brands is most known for in the wrestling community so I'm not sure why you keep arguing it

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Glory was a Hodge finalist and could have beaten Lee. That's why Brands ducked him. Literally it's what Brands is most known for in the wrestling community so I'm not sure why you keep arguing it
I'm guessing it had more to do with the fact that Spencer's #1 goal is to make the Olympic team and step one was the qualifier. Skipping the Princeton meet which was a gimme for the team, allowed him to train for 2 solid weeks whereas the guys he was competing against at the qualifier train full time. Had it been PSU, Nebraska or either OSU, he probably still would have participated in the dual because the team would have needed him.

I think it had zero to do with Glory, but Twins will be Twins.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Wouldn't he have been more worried about Pic? I mean if he's going to duck someone, Pic beat him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm guessing it had more to do with the fact that Spencer's #1 goal is to make the Olympic team and step one was the qualifier. Skipping the Princeton meet which was a gimme for the team, allowed him to train for 2 solid weeks whereas the guys he was competing against at the qualifier train full time. Had it been PSU, Nebraska or either OSU, he probably still would have participated in the dual because the team would have needed him.

I think it had zero to do with Glory, but Twins will be Twins.

If it was anyone but Glory he would have wrestled and you know it