Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This is what my friend who lived in illinois said he was told about his engineering job too, they do stuff for commercial buildings.

I didn't say this but I thought the DOT hitting bid deadlines is pretty much a moot point right now and there's no way they'll hold any contactor to completion dates

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I didn't say this but I thought the DOT hitting bid deadlines is pretty much a moot point right now and there's no way they'll hold any contactor to completion dates
I said that to him, I flat out said nothing is being built right now.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Everyone getting it over the period of several months isn't a big deal. Everyone getting it over the period of a couple weeks is.

Additionally, there is real evidence that the pandemic spread will lessen naturally as weather warms up. It's all about buying time right now.

It will flare up again in the fall, but hopefully therapies and treatments will have been considered at that point so we don't do this all over again. Americans will be resistant to repeated or open ended periods of great restriction.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think there's some stuff out there how crime rates went down (at least for a while) post-crisis situations like 9-11.

We'll see.
I think this isn’t comparable to 9/11 in any way. That was USA versus something. This is something you can’t see.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think this isn’t comparable to 9/11 in any way. That was USA versus something. This is something you can’t see.

Yeah I know...it was what first came to mind and the concern is it will have the opposite situation with this since resources are going to be depleted.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Just got a picture text from a buddy who's aunt is driving home to Des Moines from Madison. Looks like a convoy of military vehicles is headed the same way.

I know that's not unusual in terms of something you might see occasionally, but given the timing it could mean a more substantial shutdown.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I know the owner of a small civil engineering firm and when I asked him about closing down he told me he'd consider his business essential because the DOT can't wait for highway design plans.

It is in the public's best interest for transportation infrastructure projects to continue being upgraded or built to make traveling safer, even now. I work in the same industry and TxDOT is continuing with all project schedules. Their employees who can are working from home.

Our small office has been business as usual. Just trying to distance ourselves from each other (6 of us) which isn't much of a problem.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Everyone getting it over the period of several months isn't a big deal. Everyone getting it over the period of a couple weeks is.
But even at several months the health systems are going to be near 100% with zero break. Don't get a car accident, have a heart attack, or anything acute...

Feel for the Docs and Nurses...even with a flat curve their next 6-12 months is going to be non-stop.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It is in the public's best interest for transportation infrastructure projects to continue being upgraded or built to make traveling safer, even now. I work in the same industry and TxDOT is continuing with all project schedules. Their employees who can are working from home.

Our small office has been business as usual. Just trying to distance ourselves from each other (6 of us) which isn't much of a problem.
A shelter-in-place order wouldn't shut down the business, just move it to work from home. I work in the same field, but a larger office and I've been prepared to go WFH when needed.

Also when you consider the overall timeline of most projects, even a month delay due to something like this is pretty minimal.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The death rate in the US is already plummeting as we increase testing. After the CDC has collected data over the next few months what does everyone predict the death rate to end up being? Looking back on this a year from now will allow us to see whether we overreacted or if it was indeed necessary.

A: Over 2%
B: 1-2%
C: <1%
D: <0.5%

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The death rate in the US is already plummeting as we increase testing. After the CDC has collected data over the next few months what does everyone predict the death rate to end up being? Looking back on this a year from now will allow us to see whether we overreacted or if it was indeed necessary.

I'd need to see what happens vs. all of these new positive tests too before anything is 'plummeting'.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

C, but close to D.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

No offense, but we should overreact. It's killing people and damaging organs of those who survive. If you don't overreact and take it seriously, you're putting people's lives in danger because of money.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Story County has its first confirmed case

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
is there any liability with making these? Second hand story that they couldn’t use industrial equivalent masks because of liability risks to the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron