Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Weather guy doing on site or Rochester socialice event. Says it’s like a bar scene as two kids run circles behind him. Apparently 10 year olds hang out in MN bars.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think it's nasty

Hennessey happens to be the finest cognac in the world. (Cognac is highly distilled brandy from Cognac, France.)
hennessy-vs_262x700.jpg

I watched a program on the Travel Channel - they traveled to France, to the Hennessey distillery. There is a huge oak cask there containing cognac that is over 200 years old. I can only imagine how magnificent it must be.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hennessey happens to be the finest cognac in the world. (Cognac is highly distilled brandy from Cognac, France.)
hennessy-vs_262x700.jpg

I watched a program on the Travel Channel - they traveled to France, to the Hennessey distillery. There is a huge oak cask there containing cognac that is over 200 years old. I can only imagine how magnificent it must be.

Humpty loves it, but not being a brandy person, or even much of a drinker, it's probably something I can pass on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Signed papers on my mom's house. Now just to make sure inspection comes out and appraisal is ok. Appraisal should not be a problem. Was a little more work than anticipated. When she bought the house, she had the attorney put my name with her's on it incase she needed quick cash and needed to sell the house for care centers or anything. Apparently, now I have capital gains from it and with an estate, any issues you can wash your hands and they can't come back on you. I had to sign off if there were any issues, don't know of any but still my butt on the line if something pops. Nice thing is, it's not the first person who would have made ***hole row in my back yard. Now have somebody who may tick those jackoffs off.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Signed papers on my mom's house. Now just to make sure inspection comes out and appraisal is ok. Appraisal should not be a problem. Was a little more work than anticipated. When she bought the house, she had the attorney put my name with her's on it incase she needed quick cash and needed to sell the house for care centers or anything. Apparently, now I have capital gains from it and with an estate, any issues you can wash your hands and they can't come back on you. I had to sign off if there were any issues, don't know of any but still my butt on the line if something pops. Nice thing is, it's not the first person who would have made ***hole row in my back yard. Now have somebody who may tick those jackoffs off.
Yup. You missed out on some stepped-up basis (though maybe it isn't a ton depending on how long ago she bought the house). And yup, estates are exempt from having to fill out the property disclosure form. If the idea for titling jointly wasn't to try avoiding probate altogether (i.e. the house was the only real estate in which your mom had ownership) then that attorney should at least have mentioned these points. I'm not saying it is malpractice or anything, but I can't imagine not at least mentioning those issues. In the end, maybe not a big deal because it may be a small amount of capital gains, etc.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yup. You missed out on some stepped-up basis (though maybe it isn't a ton depending on how long ago she bought the house). And yup, estates are exempt from having to fill out the property disclosure form. If the idea for titling jointly wasn't to try avoiding probate altogether (i.e. the house was the only real estate in which your mom had ownership) then that attorney should at least have mentioned these points. I'm not saying it is malpractice or anything, but I can't imagine not at least mentioning those issues. In the end, maybe not a big deal because it may be a small amount of capital gains, etc.

We probably overpaid when we bought the house and most likely undersold when I sold. Paid more since it was just in the backyard and was perfect for mom, and I despise selling things so I put a price out for a pocket listing and said that is the number, no screwing around. I have done enough improvements that if I dig those out I can erase any gains.

Quick question, the realtor commissions are deductible when calculating capital gains, correct? If so, that makes it easy.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well, time to clean up and go to the job I don't get paid for. Yeah me. Will check back at lunch folks.

I will say, that I kinda have the I will do what I freaking want to do attitude at this job, what's he going to do? Fire me? That would be more favorable to me than him.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
We probably overpaid when we bought the house and most likely undersold when I sold. Paid more since it was just in the backyard and was perfect for mom, and I despise selling things so I put a price out for a pocket listing and said that is the number, no screwing around. I have done enough improvements that if I dig those out I can erase any gains.

Quick question, the realtor commissions are deductible when calculating capital gains, correct? If so, that makes it easy.
Yes, they are, as expenses of sale. Therefore, it sounds like you may not have any cap gains at all, anyway.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We got some amazing news this morning, and I'm kinda doing a happy dance over here. The husband half of our closest friends was diagnosed with bladder cancer almost 2 years ago. He went through some chemo and they made a plan to do a cystectomy (remove his bladder and put in a stoma). Before they did the surgery they needed to do one more scan...and they found spots on his liver. The cystectomy is intended to get rid of the cancer before it spreads...and they were too late. Heavy round of chemo last spring (very debilitating), and another scan said the liver spots had increased. At that point, they told him he would not see 65 (this was a month or so before his 64th birthday). Last ditch effort, they tried a newer drug (Keytruda). He had scans in November, and everything was shrinking. He had scans yesterday, and today they told us all the scans were clear!

He'll be on Keytruda for the rest of his life, but he will HAVE a "rest of his life" now. So happy for them that words cannot express it fully!!!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We got some amazing news this morning, and I'm kinda doing a happy dance over here. The husband half of our closest friends was diagnosed with bladder cancer almost 2 years ago. He went through some chemo and they made a plan to do a cystectomy (remove his bladder and put in a stoma). Before they did the surgery they needed to do one more scan...and they found spots on his liver. The cystectomy is intended to get rid of the cancer before it spreads...and they were too late. Heavy round of chemo last spring (very debilitating), and another scan said the liver spots had increased. At that point, they told him he would not see 65 (this was a month or so before his 64th birthday). Last ditch effort, they tried a newer drug (Keytruda). He had scans in November, and everything was shrinking. He had scans yesterday, and today they told us all the scans were clear!

He'll be on Keytruda for the rest of his life, but he will HAVE a "rest of his life" now. So happy for them that words cannot express it fully!!!

I love reading good news like this -- don't get to often enough, so thanks for sharing!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, they are, as expenses of sale. Therefore, it sounds like you may not have any cap gains at all, anyway.

We just finished a complete siding job for the house, a couple years back we replaced the driveway. Those and the commission will wipe out the cap gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron