The economic cost to the University with a poorly performing basketball team

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Great, now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight.

Great thread - hats off to the creator.

Be careful, though. Ticket prices are up, so you would naturally assume deaths from being tangled in bedsheets is also in the ride.

number-of-people-who-died-by-becoming-tangled-in-their-bedsheets_money-spent-on-admission-to-spectator-sports-us.png

Sweet dreams!

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
guys, the Flutie effect is absolutely real. Like or not, athletics is the face of the university when it comes to awareness and marketing. A couple of examples, when Marquette made the final 4 they saw a huge surge in applicants, so did Colorado when they tied for a national championship in Football.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
guys, the Flutie effect is absolutely real. Like or not, athletics is the face of the university when it comes to awareness and marketing. A couple of examples, when Marquette made the final 4 they saw a huge surge in applicants, so did Colorado when they tied for a national championship in Football.
I didn't realize that Iowa State was hurting for students.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
certainly not, I was just firing back at people that were mocking the correlation.
You talk about a spike when athletics has unprecedented success, but is there a corresponding correlation when the success goes away? Does a moderately successful team that has a bad season or two result in a drop in enrollment?

When Kentucky failed to make the NCAA tourney after Elite 8, Final Four and National Championship years I don't see a comparable drop in enrollment...

Failure to make the tournament after a National Championship was in 2012-13.

https://www.uky.edu/iraa/enrollment-demographics

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Call it the Flutie Effect or whatever, but there is hard evidence that when your men's basketball team makes the tournament, it can boost student enrollment by 3% the September after the tournament and 4-5%the year after that. So, when our men's team does not perform well enough to make the tournament, it not only has an impact on ticket sales and donations, it also had an impact on tuition dollars. At what point do we think the Administration will question what going on?
Screen-Shot-2019-07-31-at-5.47.12-PM-1024x762.png

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Call it the Flutie Effect or whatever, but there is hard evidence that when your men's basketball team makes the tournament, it can boost student enrollment by 3% the September after the tournament and 4-5%the year after that. So, when our men's team does not perform well enough to make the tournament, it not only has an impact on ticket sales and donations, it also had an impact on tuition dollars. At what point do we think the Administration will question what going on?

Hard evidence that you don't provide or cite?

Coming out with a troll job this huge for a 4th post is big though.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Another Prohm bashing thread. Yay.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Our largest enrollment increase was 182.4% in 1869 and we didn't even have football or basketball teams then!:D The so-called "Flutie Effect" as a general rule has been debunked long ago. I even wrote up an analysis on it for ISU. Too long to post here but the bottom line was that there was absolutely no correlation between athletic success/failure/mediocrity and enrollment figures for ISU.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is my favorite one.

number-people-who-drowned-by-falling-into-a-swimming-pool_number-of-films-niclas-cage-appeared-in.png

Graphs like these are applicable to just about everything on here (especially nowadays with the basketball threads and in the lovely CF Political Cave).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sure. Increased ice cream leads to fatter swimmers which are easier to catch. Duh.

More people going to the beach =

More ice cream sales.

AND

More shark attacks.

Correlated, yes, but not somehow causing each other.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
This is my favorite one.

number-people-who-drowned-by-falling-into-a-swimming-pool_number-of-films-niclas-cage-appeared-in.png

Graphs like these are applicable to just about everything on here (especially nowadays with the basketball threads and in the lovely CF Political Cave).
Look up the correlation between lead and crime and you'll have all the answers to all kinds of questions!