Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08...llot-whos-no-3/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"8. Iowa State (21): Our third sleeper pick — more because of the Cyclones’ top-10 position than their ballot inclusion. They won eight games last year, return 16 starters (including quarterback Brock Purdy) and have one of the top coaches in the country (Matt Campbell)."

So yep, just like last summer.

We were 21st in the pre-season AP poll last year. I expect to be top 15 this year

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Yes, Twins is on record saying ISU will win a minimum of 9 games and make the Big12 championship game. Although he was on record last year saying a minimum of 8 wins, so he track record isn't very good.
Probably would take 9-3 to get to the championship game. that would be 7-2 conference record because he always picks the Hawks. They would either have to win the BIG12 title game or a bowl game to finish ranked 14th. So he's really picking them at 10 - 4. Not saying that it can't happen, they should be good, but that's high expectations. As Hawk fans we know that high expectation seasons are very hard to live up to. I'm just going to take a stab at the Hawks being 7-5 or 8-4 next year. Nasty schedule and a new QB, it's going to be tough.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
You realize you are contracting yourself within minutes right?
I will put it in a sentence for you so it is easier to understand. I THINK this Iowa team is different, but I expect some sort of collapse.

To rationalize that statement, Iowa appears to be a different team this year, but history has a way of repeating itself. Hope this helps your comprehension level bud.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I will put it in a sentence for you so it is easier to understand. I THINK this Iowa team is different, but I expect some sort of collapse.

To rationalize that statement, Iowa appears to be a different team this year, but history has a way of repeating itself. Hope this helps your comprehension level bud.
Geneous, thinking they're different but expecting a collapse is a contradiction.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You do not have to be a good shooter to be an effectively good clutch player.
A "clutch player" is someone who makes a shot in a high pressure situation. It's not meant to categorize people who don't mess up that much. Bohannon, Weiscamp, Garza, those are clutch players. I'm not sure I've ever seen Connor make a big shot since he's been in an Iowa uniform, which isn't necessarily a knock on him considering he has other players on his team that can make the big shot. But, to categorize Connor as "clutch" would be wrong.

They list him as a point forward sometimes, or say he is a point forward. He is a SF if anything though with the ability to guard the 4.
I agree with that terminology. He's a SF who plays the PG position at times and in certain lineups guards the 4.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Geneous, thinking they're different but expecting a collapse is a contradiction.
Thinking they are different and expecting a collapse is not wrong lol. I think KC will win the super bowl but Andy Reid has not won so they have that against them...... same concept really.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
A "clutch player" is someone who makes a shot in a high pressure situation. It's not meant to categorize people who don't mess up that much. Bohannon, Weiscamp, Garza, those are clutch players. I'm not sure I've ever seen Connor make a big shot since he's been in an Iowa uniform, which isn't necessarily a knock on him considering he has other players on his team that can make the big shot. But, to categorize Connor as "clutch" would be wrong.

I agree with that terminology. He's a SF who plays the PG position at times and in certain lineups guards the 4.

He hit 4 straight FTs to seal the Rutgers game.

• Agree
Reactions: Legend Hawk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thinking they are different and expecting a collapse is not wrong lol. I think KC will win the super bowl but Andy Reid has not won so they have that against them...... same concept really.
Semantics I guess and I agree to disagree.
I think its the expectation part. That's a strong word.