NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Good clips of Marial Shayok including - about 9 seconds in - a fast break bucket over Talen Horton-Tucker.

Nice recovery and alley oop by THT - Marial makes an appearance in this one:

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Interesting that Monte got subbed back in to play with the 2nd unit with the 2nd unit PG (PJ Dozier) in too. Unfortunately, the shots aren't falling again for Monte. PJ Dozier looks like he belongs in the league. And man, MPJ is fun to watch. He is looking like a high lottery pick that Denver was able to get in the bargain barn due to his injuries.

Edit: I posted this while watching on DVR, so I think the game was actually over at the time.

Last edited:

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Interesting that Monte got subbed back in to play with the 2nd unit with the 2nd unit PG (PJ Dozier) in too. Unfortunately, the shots aren't falling again for Monte. PJ Dozier looks like he belongs in the league. And man, MPJ is fun to watch. He is looking like a high lottery pick that Denver was able to get in the bargain barn due to his injuries.
Monté still had 8 assists to go along with only one turnover while sporting the highest +/- of any of the starters at +9.

Pretty solid game for him I'd say.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

At least Monte had a couple nice buckets down the stretch. And a good +/- for the 2nd day in a row. MPJ is something else. I just pray he stays healthy.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Do you guys think there are some other teams where Monte would be a starter consistently?

Possibly. He is still a liability defensively against other starters. NBA always finds the weakest defender to go after.

I could see him being a starter on a team like the Lakers where they don't need much from that spot, or on a team that wouldn't be a playoff contender. I think his situation is about perfect in Denver.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Possibly. He is still a liability defensively against other starters. NBA always finds the weakest defender to go after.

I could see him being a starter on a team like the Lakers where they don't need much from that spot, or on a team that wouldn't be a playoff contender. I think his situation is about perfect in Denver.
I agree with the perfect situation in Denver. In the past I wanted him to get traded just so I could watch him play more but now staying in Denver seems best.

Nice seeing him get some more run right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Cyientist

IDClone

May 17, 2014
I pretty much watch every Nuggets game and Monte is too slight to be a starting PG in my opinion. He had a better game tonight with 8 assists and was more aggressive than last night against Malcolm Brogdon. Monte was tentative last night, looked poor. Remember when Tony Bennett put Brogdon on Monte rather than on George's when they played Virginia in the tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Saw an interview with Monte after the game, and he said that he knew if he got that layup up on the rim, Porter Jr would finish it. Should be an assist rather than a miss. I suspect he also took that transition 3 because he knew he had rebounding coming.

If you watch these Porter Jr. highlights Monte is in them all the time.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Only 3 of Georges' I could find (as noted, he had 15 PTS, 5-9 FG, 3-6 3PT and a healthy +19):

Georges, not showing up in Russell Westbrook fashion:

Reactions: cyclone101

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monté still had 8 assists to go along with only one turnover while sporting the highest +/- of any of the starters at +9.

Pretty solid game for him I'd say.

Monte has taken some heat in the Twitter-verse; I'm sure they're looking at shooting stats and the fact that he sometimes gets "displaced" on D. But 8 assists and no turnovers in a win is a pretty useful outing.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Other Cyclones, not in so much action last night:

For OKC, Nader is still out with a sprained ankle. Burton got 8 MIN and the terrific dunk for his only two points. The Thunder got a good win over Houston (and managed to hold their former teammate Russell Westbrook to a mere 16-24 from the field :) )

Matt Thomas got a DNP. With the Raptors healthy, they're playing 10 men and he is not one of them. It's too bad he had that finger injury because there were a lot of minutes in that stretch to be had.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A few days back, the SLC Trib ran a good piece on Georges Niang's contribution since they re-shuffled their roster. Lots of good quotes by and about Georges and a 2-minute interview embedded in article. You can see Georges' good vibes come out in this article.

Some quotes:

“Georges has a lot of feel. And he’s a playmaker,” Quin Snyder said. “When you see him making shots, that obviously stands out — certainly it does to us, too. But if you see him in transition, he can put the ball on the floor, and he can pass the ball. He just knows how to play the game; he’s easy to play with.”

“He’s fought to get to this place, he’s fought to get in the league,” Snyder said. “… He’s mentally tough, and that’s a function of how he’s had to fight not just to get into the league but to have a role. I think he appreciates that. He’s about the team winning.”

Speaking of Niang’s role — yeah, a big part of it is drilling open 3s. In spite of the recent slump, he’s still seventh in the NBA, converting 43.6%. Of course, his role also entails pushing the ball in transition, chasing smallball fours around the perimeter, even keeping the mood light on the bench and in the locker room.

Link: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2020/01/17/utah-jazz-forward-georges/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron